The IU Book Club | Inside Universal Forums

The IU Book Club

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 27, 2015
So, I’m a pretty avid reader who’s always looking for something else to read and people to discuss books with. I’m actually a little surprised that this is the first attempt at a generalized book thread. I don’t intend to a formal “book club” where we pick a book and discuss (unless people want to). I just want somewhere to get and give recommendations and chat.

Preferred Genres - In general, I gravitate toward YA, sci-fi, and suspense. I try really hard to avoid limiting myself too much, although I tend to shy away from non-fiction.

Current Favs -

“An Unkindness of Ghosts” by Rivers Solomon

I read this a couple of years ago and it’s really stuck with me. It’s a sci-fi “ark ship” story overlaid with the social constructs of the antebellum south. It has a literary voice though, and builds its world through the story rather than exposition dumps.

“Tender is the Flesh” by Augustina Bazterrica

I finished this last night and, geesh, it may be the most genuinely horrific novels I’ve ever read. A plague made all non-human meat deadly to humans, so the world has transitioned to industrialized cannibalism. Despite that background, it’s an intimate story about one man trying to live (and cope) with the new normal. Oh, and we works a processing plant. The whole thing is like an A24 movie, only better than their best.

“Heart of Darkness” by Joseph Conrad

I figured I should put a classic on here. This is one of the very few books I’ve read more than once. It’s dense but compelling in the best way.

Last edited:
I'm not a big book club guy, but any Horror Nights fan that isn't reading Bentley Little is missing out.