The Last of Us: Part 2 | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Last of Us: Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Only if you have a disc and a disc drive PS5. Guess us digital people get screwed because reasons or whatever.

Thanks Sony!
You are wrong, if you have the digital version and a PS5 you can upgrade to the remastered version.
For disk users:
Upgrades for disc copies of the PS4 version of the Last of Us Part II are only available if you have a PlayStation 5 console with a disc drive. Owners of PS4 disc copies must insert them into the PS5 every time they want to download or play the PS5 digital version.
In other words, if you have a disk version but bought the PS5 digital edition you are out of luck. If you where smart and bought the PS5 disk version you can upgrade but needs to insert the disk (to prove you own the original).

Reactions: Nick and saint.piss
Why does this need a remaster??
1. The slow load times on just a 3 year old game bug the crap out of me so having the fast load times of a next gen console will get me to play it again. Slow load times is a reason I don’t like to play older gen games anymore.

But probably more importantly to Sony, TLOU S2 & 3 are based on this game, meaning just like TLOU Part 1 (PS5), this will sell a lot after the season airs and they’ll sell a lot in upgrades.

Towards the end of the gen I believe we are looking at TLOU 3, too, so just having it on PS5 for future proofing is part of it. It’s probably a fairly cheap remaster in terms of graphical upgrades so that’s why the added content is definitely I’d say actually needed here in order to entice fans that it’s necessary to upgrade.

Last edited:
These remasters are made by new employers to give them a deep dive in the engine and on how they made the game. It's not that this are inexperienced developers but ND uses their own engine and you need to get your hands on it and much around in it to get acquainted with it on a deeper level.
The game already looks amazing and doesn't has loading screens (only when you start the game and that will be improved I'm sure).
I expect a PC port and a PS5 Pro version would already be implemented with this remaster.
I can't wait for the audio commentary inclusion (game director and actors) as I also love those on Blu-ray movies.

TLOU: No Return (roguelike) hands-on. Looks like a fun DLC that could keep people playing it for quite awhile, especially because it looks like there's daily quests to incentivize returning often.

Man... this is such a bummer. I was really looking forward to this but I won't lie, I'm not really surprised by this news. Just felt too good to be true

• Angry
Reactions: Jerroddragon
Man... this is such a bummer. I was really looking forward to this but I won't lie, I'm not really surprised by this news. Just felt too good to be true

I’m not surprised because I think No Return is what the multiplayer got paired down to. I think the roguelike can be played multiplayer?

It is a shame though because the game they were promising was essentially a deeply story driven, survival horror multiplayer like The Division set in a new location (San Francisco).

Reactions: saint.piss
It angers me sooooo much

God of War gets free DLC and Ghosts got a online Co-op Mode

But nooooo Naughty Dog had to try to make some big open world online thing.....just remaster the maps from the first game make it free to play and let us old fans show why its one of the BEST MP games ever....just makes me so upset like when Blizzard was leading us on about a story mode then just said its not coming

…just remaster the maps from the first game make it free to play and let us old fans show why its one of the BEST MP games ever....
Did you even read the reason why they aren’t doing this? It specifically stated it was because if they did this they would become a live service studio dedicating themselves to constant new content to a live service game like The Division or Fortnite and it would mean they wouldn’t be able to focus on high quality single player experiences.

I do agree that within TLOU Part 2 PS5 though they could’ve included a version of factions which would satisfy fans enough.

Did you even read the reason why they aren’t doing this? It specifically stated it was because if they did this they would become a live service studio dedicating themselves to constant new content to a live service game like The Division or Fortnite and it would mean they wouldn’t be able to focus on high quality single player experiences.

I do agree that within TLOU Part 2 PS5 though they could’ve included a version of factions which would satisfy fans enough.
Ghosts did it and noooooo one cared if it would last forever

It’s all excuses and comes back to money over it being bad art wise

But Sony one weakness is its online, it’s nothing compare to even Nintendo

Factions is one of the best MP but it came out at in the PS3 generation. They aimed for a live service when fans just wanted a next gen version of what we had on PS3.

This is sort of disappointing tbh. To be clear, what this means is you will get a free platinum with PS5 version if you got the platinum on the PS4 version. I’d rather earn the platinum, but that’s just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerroddragon
Really good game review and side by side graphical analysis showing where the slight improvements are by Digital Foundry. From What i've seen No Return looks like it'll be fun and Lost Levels (especially with director commentary) will be fun for fans of the game. Graphically it does look like extremely minor improvements but the things they did fix also seem to revolve around foliage and fixing things in the distance popping in from the PS4 version. Some shadows, textures and colors have been improved as well.

Also, the fidelity mode seems like a nice addition if you want that as it does seem to very clearly add more clarity to graphics compared to performance mode, but you will be running at 30fps. Faster load times are also really nice because TLOU 2 had VERY long load times from what I remember due to pushing the PS4 to it's limits. In tests, it seems like it is now loading in 15-18 seconds compared to what used to be well over 60 seconds on the PS4, sometimes pushing 90 seconds.

I'd make a little bit of fuss about paying to upgrade if there was no additional content, but No Return on it's own seems worth the $10.

Last edited:
I still can't totally wrap my head around upgrading from the PS4 digital version, but I'll figure it out. Looking forward to jumping back into this again.

I still can't totally wrap my head around upgrading from the PS4 digital version, but I'll figure it out. Looking forward to jumping back into this again.
Once the game is released tomorrow, you'll just simply be able to go to the PS Store and buy the upgrade for $10. If you have the PS4 disc, you need to insert the disc to upgrade and to play.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Once the game is released tomorrow, you'll just simply be able to go to the PS Store and buy the upgrade for $10. If you have the PS4 disc, you need to insert the disc to upgrade and to play.

Got it - mine is digital since I purchased it during the pandemic (and the game stores around me were closed lol)

I assume it just pulls from your digital library then?

Got it - mine is digital since I purchased it during the pandemic (and the game stores around me were closed lol)

I assume it just pulls from your digital library then?
Yeah. If you go to the page of any game you have actually paid for as a digital purchase, the store will recognize it.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
So I finally opened up the game. I’m about to jump into the campaign again for a solid 40 hours, but I jumped into No Return before doing that and it definitely is worth the $10 on its own. I’m a bit rusty with TLOU 2 controls (and this is a bit more gun focused than I’m used to from the game), but it’s coming back to me. I’m not as good as I’d like to be yet, but the more you play the more you unlock, the better you perform.

No Return really should’ve come a few years ago as DLC for the game, but a roguelike is the perfect vehicle for you maybe if you’re missing playing TLOU, but don’t want to spend time playing the whole game again. It’s an easy way to jump in quickly, step into TLOU world for a bit and just have some fun. There’s also daily runs you can compete in.

If you want to just collect a bunch of trophies immediately, all you have to do is import a save from the PS4 version.