The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 413 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It really hasn’t? It just progressed.

He was a child killer who, when Dr. Oddfellow found out about the murders, was killed and stuffed in a Jack in the Box that Universal inadvertently found and opened in 2000.

After Jack was released, he found Dr. Oddfellow in 2006 and killed him, taking the Cane of Souls to grant himself immortality, and took over Dr. Oddfellow’s carnival (and re-christening it the Carnival of Carnage).

In 2010, it was discovered that Fear was the one in control of Jack. Though the specifics of that were never explained, it logically means Fear kept Jack alive/brought him back to life while he was initially trapped. At the end of 2010, Legendary Truth recaptured Jack along with Fear and the other Icons.

He somehow escaped in 2015, bringing back his Carnival of Carnage before, I guess getting trapped again until Chance came for him in 2016.

It’s one continuous story.

Okay, bad wording on my part - I should've said "Jack's whole deal" versus his origin, which has always remained semi-consistent.

By saying that I'm mostly referring to big FEAR retcon that was quickly ignored, even at the expense of clear storytelling (note your own "somehow escaped" and "I guess getting trapped") in the following years. The years of convoluted and semi-contradictory Legendary Truth lore (most of which, as I recall, sort of ignored FEAR and grouped Jack into one of those groups?) didn't help.

It’s called “Haunting of Hill House.” Not “Haunting of Funeral Home.”

I really hate this aspect of Resurrection. The facade was completely different from the original and Revisited facades, and there was no real reason for the change. This is not “Screamhouse.”
Assuming you watched the show there’s a morgue and funeral home. Not saying it’s the whole house just part of it.

Yeah, but the funeral home is a big part of the show’s story. Same with the morgue. I’d assume that they’d include at least one scene featuring the morgue/funeral home.

As someone who hasn’t seen the show, based on the fact Legacy has made the exact same style of comment twice, I’m presuming he may be implying we’ll be in the Hill House the whole time. None of the “outside” scenes.

As someone who hasn’t seen the show, based on the fact Legacy has made the exact same style of comment twice, I’m presuming he may be implying we’ll be in the Hill House the whole time. None of the “outside” scenes.
Ah, makes sense. I wish they did include a few of the outside scenes since I found that some of the most interesting and scariest scenes happened outside of Hill House. I also really like houses that don’t keep you in the same location the entire time. But I’m still super excited for this house! I feel like it’ll be one of the scarier IPs we get this year.

Ah, makes sense. I wish they did include a few of the outside scenes since I found that some of the most interesting and scariest scenes happened outside of Hill House. I also really like houses that don’t keep you in the same location the entire time. But I’m still super excited for this house! I feel like it’ll be one of the scarier IPs we get this year.
You have to think about the people who haven’t seen the show. Going from an old manor for 6 scenes, cutting to a modern funeral home for one scene, then jumping back to the same house is confusing and hurts the overall pace of the house.

You have to think about the people who haven’t seen the show. Going from an old manor for 6 scenes, cutting to a modern funeral home for one scene, then jumping back to the same house is confusing and hurts the overall pace of the house.
Oh yeah, I know. I’m more-so saying it from the perspective of what scenes would work best in the house, but I totally get they have to make the maze’s pacing and story clear and fun to those who haven’t seen the show yet. I do think they could do something where they start off in the funeral home and then transition to the mansion (or vice versa, ending with the funeral home), such as the show did in Episode 6 and it wouldn’t hurt pacing.

I always get a kick out of the character backstory debates. If I go this year, it will be my 14th HHN. I've never lived in Florida so it's always a big deal to arrange for our trip there so I'd say me and my group are pretty hardcore fans. I don't think any of us (well, maybe one) know anything about the back stories or cares. Jack is a scary clown. Chance is his GF. Fear allegedly controlled everything and had the lantern. Oh look, Jack's back. Whatever, all that means is a cool Jack show. Legendary Truth, they're invisible ghostbusters. Body Collectors are scary bald guys that apparently have something to do with Buffy the Vampire Slayer which is a TV show I never watched a single episode of.

That's about all I need to know (from reading these forums I've picked up on the Cindy/Eddie/etc lore) and don't really gleam anything else from the houses. Still have a blast.

It's like me going to see a Marvel movie. Captain America is from the WWI timeframe, got it. Oh, now he's in the current timeframe? Sure, got it. Red Skull is a bad guy. Bucky is sorta good, sorta bad, and his best friend from WWI. That's silly, but got it. And having a comic book nerd be like, "Well, what REALLY happened in the comics is in issue #37 he got trapped in ice and then in #76 he battled so-and-so and took his time machine and then he died in #100 and came back to life in #101 and he turned evil for an 8 issue run in 1983 and then bla bla bla bla." Don't care. I enjoyed the movie for the 90min of stuff that was on the screen, I didn't need a 50 year history of all the comic adventures he had.

Feel the same with HHN. I enjoy the 2 minute long walkthroughs presented to me, and enjoy 95% of them. There's only been a few houses over the 14 years I didn't like or understand what was going on. Even when I don't understand them, it's usually just a an awesome spooky looking scene with people yelling "boo!" and startling me because I was busy taking in the awesome scenery. That's why I keep going back.

Nothing wrong with diehards. Just my point of view of the lore/history/back story of the characters.

No I.P.’s happen in one place. Especially if they have the chance to recreate something like a morgue it would add to the experience. Doesn’t matter if you seen the show if the scene is done well and has horror elements.

The Exorcist happened in one place, so did The Shining, etc. they can have it all in Hill House and it could still be effective.

The Exorcist happened in one place, so did The Shining, etc. they can have it all in Hill House and it could still be effective.
Some of you all really need to watch Hill House.

Sure they could set it all in Hill House, but they would be missing out on some good scares/moments that didn't happen in Hill House. And anyways there are only technically three important moments that happen in Hill House; the rest of the moments at Hill House just build up to those moments.

Yes check it out. There are some slow parts but some good parts as well. I’m gonna have to rewatch Beetlejuice and TCM before October.
I totally agree! You should always watch the source material before going to Horror Nights. Dont do what I did and go into Poltergeist having not watched the movie. The house can be really confusing if you aren't familiar with the source material.

Status
Not open for further replies.