Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

Can't wait to see what their PR response is. I hope every news outlet picks this up and runs with it to force Disney's hand in getting a new fleet. They're lucky the train was in a station when this happened and not actually moving...

Yeah, I should've been clearer; but time wasn't on my side for a short bit.

With the crowds that should come for DHS's Galaxy's Edge; alongside the Holiday boom..it makes me just a "tad" bit concerned..

Even worse than it just falling off. Imagine had the scooter fallen out along with the door. That definitely could’ve been a fatal drop to the pavement below.

Agreed. Every monorail carries two or three motorized scooters in my experience, usually operated by guests unfamiliar with them. If this is potentially an issue, it's a huge one.

This is beyond a joke now. They’re going to have to bite the bullet and update the fleet as the current one isn’t going to manage the 50th celebration.

Honestly not sure they have time for that anymore--should've been done 7 years ago. Need a viable back-up plan to transport guests to and from MK for when the inevitable happens and someone goes to the hospital or worse from one of these things and they are shut down for two months.

Agreed. Every monorail carries two or three motorized scooters in my experience, usually operated by guests unfamiliar with them. If this is potentially an issue, it's a huge one.
Yeah the biggest flaw with them is they don’t really have a throttle. They have a speed selector that’s seperate from the little push handle that makes it go. Inevitably the guests put it on rabbit, then forget and go to press the lever and take off at full speed.

As a former monorail cast member we became pretty accustomed to telling the guest to turn it down before exiting. It’s not exactly part of the training, but most people passed it on to new co-workers. Definitely a known issue.

This can't be ignored anymore, but sadly, it might.

I'm just imagining the mad rush to get out of MK, when they pack those cabins to the brim, and then another door falls off.....

I think we've reached "gross negligence" on the part of Disney, and they deserve every bit of scrutiny. Thankfully, no one's been hurt - so far...

Honestly not sure they have time for that anymore--should've been done 7 years ago. Need a viable back-up plan to transport guests to and from MK for when the inevitable happens and someone goes to the hospital or worse from one of these things and they are shut down for two months.

What do they have? 30 months?

Adding more buses and drivers is the cheaper and lazier option.

If I was staying at a resort on the monorail route and they go out of service, I’d be pissed.

Honestly I feel like we’ve reached the point to where a lawsuit against them with someone unwilling to settle is the only way to get Disney to do anything.

These things are a safety hazard and well past their intended life span at this point.

What do they have? 30 months?

Adding more buses and drivers is the cheaper and lazier option.

If I was staying at a resort on the monorail route and they go out of service, I’d be pissed.

No clue how long it takes to build a monorail but doubtful they could be turned out in a month. What if an incident happens going into Christmas? I don't know that they have enough buses and drivers to handle MK crowds. Just a matter of logistics, putting aside customer service concerns (which, I agree, will be miserable for them). Whatever the long term solution is, it's years late. I fear they've lost the luxury of using it to save them.

Honestly I feel like we’ve reached the point to where a lawsuit against them with someone unwilling to settle is the only way to get Disney to do anything.

Was the only thing that got them to move seriously on the gator issue.

Well there you have it...

as2y2.jpg