The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As an engineer (mech and industrial) things happen. They just do. But it’s the safety reporting processes and flagging systems BY THE CAST that should catch this. Calling a phone in the cab for a door open while going between TTC and Epcot would solve NO issues. That being a default response points to incompetence at some level(s) of WDW transportation.

Actually, if someone did pick up the phone and call would have probably resulted in an e-stop mid course and a lengthy wait for everyone while they evacuated the people out of the car or fixed it. Probably hours. Pretty sure if I'm ever in that situation I'd be pissed at anyone who called instead of just making sure everyone got away from the door. lol

Reactions: rhino4evr
TBH, she probably thought to herself, that if she called, the whole train would have probably been e-stopped and evacuated, and she didn't want to miss that hard to get Frozen fast pass.

Plus shaming on social media is way more profitable.

This isn’t necessary and detracts from the issue at hand.

It would certainly help. A stopped monorail with an open door is far less dangerous than a moving monorail with an open door. This could’ve been much worse and someone could have died, in that scenario someone reporting it would have potentially avoided that. Now that doesn’t mean there should be any expectation at all for guests to report this, but like I said if someone had the knowledge and presence of mind it definitely would’ve been a good thing.

No. There should be no expectations from guests that they need to report unsafe circumstances on public transportation. This sets a dangerous precedent of blaming the guests, see the first quote in this post.

It would certainly help. A stopped monorail with an open door is far less dangerous than a moving monorail with an open door. This could’ve been much worse and someone could have died, in that scenario someone reporting it would have potentially avoided that. Now that doesn’t mean there should be any expectation at all for guests to report this, but like I said if someone had the knowledge and presence of mind it definitely would’ve been a good thing.
When you're in that type of situation, no one is thinking about doing that. Hell, i'd bet most of the people on that monorail didn't even know there was a phone for them to use. I didn't even know there was a phone and i've worked at WDW before and go countless times per year.

Let's not blame guests for Disney Management's lack of maintenance and bad judgement (sending the monorail to Epcot with passengers in that cabin knowing the door had issues).

No. There should be no expectations from guests that they need to report unsafe circumstances on public transportation. This sets a dangerous precedent of blaming the guests, see the first quote in this post.
Well yeah I completely agree there should be no expectation whatsoever or responsibility on the part of the guests. I'm just pointing out that it would help and could have potentially averted something that could have been far worse.

When they had the fire on Monorail Silver there were guests who helped pull people out of the train and up onto the roof. This certainly wasn't expected of those guests and it wasn't their responsibility, but in the end they saved lives. Same sort of thing. Disney deserves all the blame and doesn't deserve to get out of it easy, but in the end someone not getting hurt or worse is more important.

When you're in that type of situation, no one is thinking about doing that. Hell, i'd bet most of the people on that monorail didn't even know there was a phone for them to use. I didn't even know there was a phone and i've worked at WDW before and go countless times per year.

Let's not blame guests for Disney Management's lack of maintenance and bad judgement (sending the monorail to Epcot with passengers in that cabin knowing the door had issues).
See my post above. Also from my understanding the train was sent with the door thought to have been locked shut but popped open after leaving.

This isn’t necessary and detracts from the issue at hand.

Sorry, I was just trying to be funny. I agree that this is 100% Disney's responsibility. I would imagine most jurors would too.

It's easy to say "I would have done something else" when you aren't in the persons shoes. I don't think I would have looked for an "emergency phone" either. Of course, I know I wouldn't have posted it on social media either....

So Disney wants people to believe that they put up the caution signs in response to this incident.
According to WESH 2 News, a Disney spokesperson responded to the incident saying, “We regret that this occurred. Safety is our biggest concern. We immediately removed that train from service and have taken steps to ensure it doesn’t happen again.” Due to this incident Disney was prompted to install signage above the monorail doors that now reads, “Caution: Do Not Lean Against Door.”
WESH 2 also had the opportunity to talk to the passenger who took the video of the incident. She told them, “The passengers in the car were all adults with the exception of two young children riding on parents’ laps. Several of the people in the car took charge, reminding everyone that we were unharmed and that if nobody moved and we were calm we would reach the station safely.”

Sounds like WESH is sourcing from DisTwitter/some random blogger. Lazy but typical.
I read it as Disney had told them they installed the signs when questioned on the incident, but failed to mention that the signs had been in place for more than a week at that point. That left the door open for WESH to put the pieces together themselves and they just lazily assumed that that was Disney's way of "doing something".

I could be off, but I wouldn't put it past Disney to try and spin the truth like that.

As an engineer (mech and industrial) things happen. They just do. But it’s the safety reporting processes and flagging systems BY THE CAST that should catch this. Calling a phone in the cab for a door open while going between TTC and Epcot would solve NO issues. That being a default response points to incompetence at some level(s) of WDW transportation.

Exactly. Theme Park safety standards and practices don't involve participation of guests. They exist to protect the guests, often against their own idiotic will.

Last edited:
I loved the spoofing of Irwin Allen: The Master of Disaster! He produced The Poseidon Adventure and Towing Inferno. He is often cited as directing Earthquake!, but he didn't.
I learned alot working there. (And to be honest, best team mates ever!). Was very interesting to see the Musion from BTS and also appreciate how the actor interacting has to know where to be (they obviously dont see anything).

Just curious....how much would it actually cost to put all new monorails on the same track? Just trying to compare the price of this vs. building a new ride.