The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 728 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aren't we all forgetting that Universal asked people about a phase 2 in recent surveys? That proves definitively that they are at least considering it.
What about the millions of people that are/will be coming to Universal just because of Potter? While they may enjoy the rest of the park, they will wish to spend more time in the Wizarding World, or wish that it wasn't so crowded. Not to mention repeat visitors who need a little extra incentive to spend another vacation at UO. Universal would greatly satisfy these people with an expansion, and if recent reports are anything to go by it is the Potter fans that Uni is most anxious to please right now.

There is nothing stopping them from planning an expansion (which even if they decided to do it tomorrow, wouldn't be built for likely 2-3 years) and touching up the rest of the park in the meantime. Anyway we all know the only reason that Universal would even consider a park-wide "refurbishment" is because of the new customers Potter is bringing in. That shows just how "Potter-centric" the current feeling of the resort is.

On the future of LC I agree with Frogki - it's going. What's the point in keeping it around? It was a good idea, but the attractions there now are mediocre at best (widespread opinion) and they are original, which, while that may appeal to us theme park fans, is not going to sell a lot of merchandise or get a ton of people's interest. There is no way Universal is going to spend millions of dollars adding a major new attraction to LC or some other land when that is simply not where the money's at. What kind of return are they going to get by spending money on LC, compared to an expansion of Potter? And they are a company which means first and foremost they care about making money.

IMO we can expect the park to be touched up generally in the next year or so, some new effects added here and there, then a moderate to major expansion of Potter in 3-4 years, then a major expansion to a different land.

This. I totally agree, thank you lol...

I have to agree that all money is going to go into Potter. People are not waiting for two hours to get into Marvel or Toon, they are waiting to get out of those lands and into Potter. While a parkwide refurbishment would be nice for fans, it isn't going to get vacationers attention. You aren't going to hear about people rushing to the Hulk because it was recently painted. You are still going to hear about people waiting in line to get to Potter. the money is going to go to that land because that is what people want, no questions asked. I agree with Roxy that Universal is going to go Potter for the next few years because it is brining in money that they have not seen in years. Wizarding World isn't broken but it is what needs to stay fresh. And what better advertising then to say that Potter has a new ride at the level of Forbidden Journey. People would head back to IOA as soon as they could to see it.

IYou aren't going to hear about people rushing to the Hulk because it was recently painted.

I beg to differ on that one :lol: Quite a few people, especially APs will rush to ride the Hulk once its re-painted/refurbished because it will probably be super smooth again.

Icould seee an expansion where they would turn Sinbad into a wizard duel type show and expand into the backstage area, since most of it is just empty space, however they would have to rename the Lost Continent to the Forgotten Continent because all that would be left is PF and Mythos. If they expand though I hope it would only be to add more rides and not more lousy cheap shops.

I beg to differ on that one :lol: Quite a few people, especially APs will rush to ride the Hulk once its re-painted/refurbished because it will probably be super smooth again.

Paint doesn't make a ride smooth, it's the wheels. Not to mention, that little campaign going around to paint the Hulk only has about 90 signatures. Yeti is right in saying most people won't be rushing over to it over a new coat of paint. Heck, most won't even notice. :lol:

Paint doesn't make a ride smooth, it's the wheels. Not to mention, that little campaign going around to paint the Hulk only has about 90 signatures. Yeti is right in saying most people won't be rushing over to it over a new coat of paint. Heck, most won't even notice. :lol:

Well whenever they do put a new coat of paint, they would refurbish the trains as well just like Rockit just got some new wheels. I doubt they would only paint the track and then leave the trains as is.

People are not waiting for the other Islands like Potter because that is not the new advertised thing.

Seriously, to think that ALL the money is going to Potter is insanely hilarious. Let's not forget that other attractions that are going to be going on 11 years old are still getting over 2 hour waits. Those exit through gift shops. Not everyone is eating at The Three Broomsticks. People are having fun all over.

The entire resort is winning and doing just fine.

Love to the hulk is likely coming. Let's look at it this way, if they would of had Hulk closed they would of had to have had a MAJOR cut in the park's capacity. That equals people spending to get in and spending money inside.

Universal's anaylists are no fools.

Last edited:
I would say at or near capacity. The day after New Years day being much more tolerable in comparison. Many people have to get ready to go back to work or school.

If you get to the park you want to do that day early and get started I think you should be able to get what you want done.

People are not waiting for the other Islands like Potter because that is not the new advertised thing.

Seriously, to think that ALL the money is going to Potter is insanely hilarious. Let's not forget that other attractions that are going to be going on 11 years old are still getting over 2 hour waits. Those exit through gift shops. Not everyone is eating at The Three Broomsticks. People are having fun all over.

Love to the hulk is likely coming. Let's look at it this way, if they would of had Hulk closed they would of had to have had a MAJOR cut in the park's capacity. That equals people spending to get in and spending money inside.

Universal's anaylists are no fools.

Of course they are. Many of them are enjoying the park because they are on vacation and Potter just happened to be a huge factor in getting them there. They say "I'm not even attempting to get into Potter. We're on vacation here, lets enjoy the rest of it before braving that madhouse". People aren't waiting to get in lines for anything else because Potter is what's new and it's a huge thing right now, not because it's advertised. People do know they are going to a theme park and they go to enjoy the rest of it, but right now, if you said my family was going on a vacation, we would say "Yes, we're going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!" not because it's advertised, not because we're tourists who don't know about the rest of Universal right now, but because me and my sister are Harry Potter fans, and my family wants to go on a cool new ride and go to the place I've read about and told them about. Don't forget that the last movie is coming out next year. Don't make me laugh by trying to say that Hulk is one of the major driving factors getting people in. It's not. Let's face it, AP holders are some of the most looked at group of people, however, they are not the only ones and they are not the "Ohhh, shiny, expensive, let's get it for a memory of our trip at USF!" money spending tourists. Almost everyone there is there for Potter. Sure, I'm positive there will be touch ups of everything, but no updates. Potter is going to get expanded. It's what is and what will bring in a lot of money.

Yeah, but I don't remember people ever lining up to get into the other islands. They all had pretty equal draw, but Potter is completely unequal in its pull over visitors. The line to get inside stretches across the park on busy days. You have to get a ticket with a return time on it just to get in! What other land, in the history of theme parks, has had this kind of effect?
I mean, let's say Universal adds some major new expansion to Lost Continent. So, they're going to advertise it, and suddenly a ton of people are going to book flights down here, to see that??? No way. Most people won't care or even notice. Potter is what got Universal world-wide exposure when a lot of people didn't even know there was another resort outside Disney! Do you think that media in the UK, Japan, Australia or even New York is going to report some expansion to LC?? No one really cares (other than the locals and the theme park fans).

They are having fun. But the point is no one flew down to Orlando to ride the freakin Hulk. People are coming for Potter, and when they can't get in or are done with it for the day they are enjoying the rest of the park. Other attractions have gotten two hour waits before but the resort still didn't seem to think IoA was doing that well did they? Two hour waits does not a successful park make. Even Six Flags can get two hour waits. IMO overall attendance, hotel occupancy, and merchandise/food sales are much better indicators of success than wait times.

LOL yes they are mainly because of Potter. Attendance was down before Potter and now its the highest its ever been. Merchandise sales were down, now they are up 30% because Potter single-handedly refreshed the whole resort. It has done something that no other expansion to any other land would have been able to do,and I bet Universal wants more.

All good points, But if people hear of a major expansion coming to a park, they will flock down to ride as long as it grabs their attention and the hype around it is big, Just look at X at magic mountain, or Superman the escape. IOA hasnt had any noteworthy expansion since it's opening prior to potter and I believe that is why it's numbers

Now, that being said, potter is unique in it's merchandising capabilities, and I think Universal will be planning expansions and or replacements to area based on things that are just as unique as potter.

All good points, But if people hear of a major expansion coming to a park, they will flock down to ride as long as it grabs their attention and the hype around it is big, Just look at X at magic mountain, or Superman the escape. IOA hasnt had any noteworthy expansion since it's opening prior to potter and I believe that is why it's numbers

Now, that being said, potter is unique in it's merchandising capabilities, and I think Universal will be planning expansions and or replacements to area based on things that are just as unique as potter.

I have to disagree. Most tourists don't know (or care) if Islands of Adventure has or hasn't had an expansion. However, Harry Potter has such a selling power and an attracting power that it attracted this many people. Whether the park or not had an expansion in a long time wasn't important to the tourists. But "Oh! It's Harry Potter! We've got to go, that will be so cool!" is what was heard in most households I'm sure. HP has so many followers and fans that it's something that will be popular for a long time. Families will more likely want to take a second vacation if there's an expansion...

IMO overall attendance, hotel occupancy, and merchandise/food sales are much better indicators of success than wait times.

Too bad they never release those numbers.

I just have to say don't count your chickens before they hatch. Unless you work for UO, you have no basis in saying it is a fact that there will be an expansion. Do I think there will be an expansion in the next few years? Probably. A large scale one with multiple E-Tickets like the current attraction? I don't think so.

Too bad they never release those numbers.

I just have to say don't count your chickens before they hatch. Unless you work for UO, you have no basis in saying it is a fact that there will be an expansion. Do I think there will be an expansion in the next few years? Probably. A large scale one with multiple E-Tickets like the current attraction? I don't think so.

No one ever said multiple E-Tickets. But I wouldn't be surprised at a low scale attraction. And you have no basis in saying that it won't. Which you've been convinced of since the start, because you love LC.

I have to disagree. Most tourists don't know (or care) if Islands of Adventure has or hasn't had an expansion. However, Harry Potter has such a selling power and an attracting power that it attracted this many people. Whether the park or not had an expansion in a long time wasn't important to the tourists. But "Oh! It's Harry Potter! We've got to go, that will be so cool!" is what was heard in most households I'm sure. HP has so many followers and fans that it's something that will be popular for a long time. Families will more likely want to take a second vacation if there's an expansion...

I understand what you are saying but you are forgetting the power of the E ticket attraction. People all over the east coast came up to KD to ride the tallest fastest coaster on the east coast. It was worldwide news when S:TE opened. If you can create content that has a significant impact in the amusement industry and promote it right, crowds will come no matter what, It creates MORE incentive to go to IOA. People do care...

We live in a much different world than it was when IOA opened. Potter is the biggest pop culture fiction series since Star Wars, they knew it was going to have this draw. It does not mean they are going to add onto it, it just means that they have a huge hit on their hands.

We live in a much different world than it was when IOA opened. Potter is the biggest pop culture fiction series since Star Wars, they knew it was going to have this draw. It does not mean they are going to add onto it, it just means that they have a huge hit on their hands.

Alright, we'll see. Yes, IoA is making a ton of money off of Potter and no longer has to worry about falling below the profit margin, they've already made a TON of money off of Potter. So wouldn't it make sense for them to want more as a company?

--- Update ---

I understand what you are saying but you are forgetting the power of the E ticket attraction. People all over the east coast came up to KD to ride the tallest fastest coaster on the east coast. It was worldwide news when S:TE opened. If you can create content that has a significant impact in the amusement industry and promote it right, crowds will come no matter what, It creates MORE incentive to go to IOA. People do care...

Yes but half the people didn't even know what was in Potter land or exactly whether or not it was a separate park. Sure, they saw all of the cool bells and whistles of the park in the add, but they didn't hear "The greatest and latest in theme park technology!", they heard "The magical new ride, only at the WWoHP!", emphasis on the HP...

Hmm but you're talking about coasters which have a worldwide following looking for the next record-setter. And yet it still didn't draw anywhere near the amount of people that Potter has/will draw.

I know we can't know for sure before it happens, but we are just looking at it logically. Universal is a company - companies care primarily about making the most money possible - so far Potter has made them by far the most amount of money - therefore the most logical outcome is an expansion of Potter to continue making Universal money. Simple as that.

An expansion to LC would simply fall short compared to an expansion of Potter, in every way possible, no matter what technology they use or records they theoretically break. A moderate expansion of Potter would easily draw more people than a major expansion of LC. How can anyone debate this?
Just because you, in their place, would choose to focus on other areas of the park doesn't mean they will, because they as a company have different concerns. They want to remain relevant, and build on the momentum they are getting now with Potter. It kinda seems like some of you guys are burying your heads in the sand here. Yeah they might not expand Potter. It's possible. And they might cancel HHN as well. Theoretically they could. :lol:

Hmm but you're talking about coasters which have a worldwide following looking for the next record-setter. And so far Potter has made them by far the most amount of money - therefore the most logical outcome is an expansion of Potter to continue making Universal money. Simple as that.

:

Unfortunately it is even simpler
than that. They will not deem it a good move unless the parks drop a huge amount in attendance within the next few years. Even IF an expansion is planned it would be foolish to start adding it now because people would visit anyway for what is there now.

They already have all the detailed merchandise from the films. Theme parks make their main money there. The draw of people is who spend the money and they are already going no matter what because something of Potter is there. The park has already more than one intelectual property has ever been given in a theme park. Doing too much can be dangerous.

MILLIONS will be coming for YEARS to see it. and spend their money there. This includes returns and Potter won't have to add anything. Them sharing it with others will be enough. Thing of it like Disney does.

It may not be the best win for us but realistically. You don't spend more money when you are already making the most you can with that investment. One more D ticket ride would help the crowd flow, but not increase the crowds. It would be a waste right now.