The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 905 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If they are keeping DC longterm, I would hope that a different paint scheme is in the works. It's too bad to spoil all of the authenticity and detail with a fading red and turquoise coaster.:doh:

Honestly, DC could easily be where Phase 3 goes if you consider just how much space the coaster takes up. Of course, it's at the bottom of IOA priorities

Honestly, DC could easily be where Phase 3 goes if you consider just how much space the coaster takes up. Of course, it's at the bottom of IOA priorities

Toon Lagoon
Lost Continent
Suess Expansion
Something done with Marvel

Then we'll talk about getting rid of a perfectly functioning B&M invert

Reactions: youhow2
Eventually, it will be on the list but yea, I'd see that list.

Sure at some point something will come up. But Universal's contract pretty much allows them to keep the rights almost permanently and these characters are incredibly popular. The Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise passed the Harry Potter film franchise in total earnings this year and that doesn't even include characters like Spider-Man and the X-Men who are prominently featured at MSHI. Unless Disney just shows up at Universal headquarters with a ton of trucks full of money, I can't see why this would be on Universal's to do list anytime soon.

Don't really want to get this too off topic though, I was at IoA today and was impressed with the new area in front of the Hogsmeade Station, it's a nice transition from Lost Continent to the Wizarding World.

Toon Lagoon
Lost Continent
Suess Expansion
Something done with Marvel

Then we'll talk about getting rid of a perfectly functioning B&M invert

Also one that has no hook anymore, one with a 54" height requirement, one that slightly intrudes on the immersive area, one that has no theming on the actual ride itself, and one whose main asset aside from dueling (the eerie castle queue) has been neutered.

And you forgot the nighttime show, Kong, and JW overlay/additions. But Phase 3 for HP should definitely be where DC - prime real estate when you consider 2 FJs and a Hippogriff could fit in its plot.

As someone who thinks they won't be getting rid of a people eater like twin B&M's anytime even remotely soon, the way I could see this happening, is a Phase 3 and only its the only way they can find a way to get a Great Hall restaurant into the land. Forbidden forest is all well and good, but there are no stores or restaurants in the forest. For them to get rid of DC it will have to be for a major money maker and the only one that I can see fitting that is the Great hall.

Also one that has no hook anymore, one with a 54" height requirement, one that slightly intrudes on the immersive area, one that has no theming on the actual ride itself, and one whose main asset aside from dueling (the eerie castle queue) has been neutered.

And you forgot the nighttime show, Kong, and JW overlay/additions. But Phase 3 for HP should definitely be where DC - prime real estate when you consider 2 FJs and a Hippogriff could fit in its plot.

Dude, Dueling Dragons' main asset was NOT its queue...c'mon. Its a world class roller coaster. Most regional parks feature B&M inverted roller coasters as their star headliner, and IOA has 2 of them. Yes, its a bit restrictive but IOA's family friendly problems can be solved in other ways (like adding instead of replacing, or doing something that isnt MORE Potter).

Is Dragon Challenge the type of roller coaster Universal would invest in today? Probably not. But I dont think theyd demolish or sell it either. Its still a big draw in a place where big roller coasters are less than common.

I think some of you are taking the family friendly thing too far. Yeah, they need to add some more things here and there to make it more complete but tearing down a world class coaster is crazy talk. Even without the dueling aspect the ride is fun and a big draw. If you really think a Potter phase 3 is necessary you are better off just having it finally replace all of LC. There is no major draw there anymore, it isn't a merchandising machine and we know Universal is interested in making their money there. The only problem is what to do with Mythos.

But if it were up to me, I'd end the Potter stuff after Diagon opens. I know it's popular but we have two whole incredibly themed lands with groundbreaking and world class attractions (including DC) in two different parks. We really don't need a land for every year area featured in the books and movies.

I'm a pretty big fan of Dragon Challenge (dueling or not) and would hate to see them go. Neither of them stand at the top of the B&M invert list but they're both solid contenders (especially Fire) and it's mindblowing to have two of them right next to each other. They're a blast, and the generally low waits and re-ride shortcut make them very appealing, I think.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I'm a pretty big fan of Dragon Challenge (dueling or not) and would hate to see them go. Neither of them stand at the top of the B&M invert list but they're both solid contenders (especially Fire) and it's mindblowing to have two of them right next to each other. They're a blast, and the generally low waits and re-ride shortcut make them very appealing, I think.

Just my thoughts.

I am surprised really that most prefer red, I have come to love blue a lot better as it really packs a punch. In any case, with the proximity of the station DC is even better!

Dude, Dueling Dragons' main asset was NOT its queue...c'mon. Its a world class roller coaster. Most regional parks feature B&M inverted roller coasters as their star headliner, and IOA has 2 of them. Yes, its a bit restrictive but IOA's family friendly problems can be solved in other ways (like adding instead of replacing, or doing something that isnt MORE Potter).

Is Dragon Challenge the type of roller coaster Universal would invest in today? Probably not. But I dont think theyd demolish or sell it either. Its still a big draw in a place where big roller coasters are less than common.

You do realize you could fit 2 or 3 FJs where DC is, right? And the hook for Dueling Dragons is gone. I loved the ride back when they dueled and you had the close encounters with the other train. Back when the queue was creepy and had skeletons everywhere, the atmosphere was perfect. Potter has removed that, and the ride sticks out like a sore thumb now. After seeing what Universal is capable of, I'd like to see what they can do with DC after they fix the rest of IOA.

You're telling me a naked steel coaster with little semblance of sticking to theme (no mountains, ruins, AA dragons, fog and fire effects, etc) would be better than a lavishly themed coaster on par with Big Thunder, Everest, or even Mummy?

If the ride still dueled, I'd understand your argument. But once the few remaining areas get attractions, where to for expansion? Dragon Challenge takes up a major portion of IOA. IOA isn't a regional park, it's a world-class THEME park. To be honest, when Disney fans complain about things like Universal's Six Flags-esque coasters, I agree with them. Hulk and Rockit are fine because they don't take up much space and Hulk actually adds to MSHI as far as atmosphere goes.

I'm not saying put all kiddie rides... but Hulk and Rockit fulfill the thrill coaster aspect for USO. A 46"-48" coaster with lavish theming and AAs would be perfect for this area. A Ford Anglia flat ride or Fantasyland-style dark ride would give little kids something to do without taking too much space. The Shrieking Shack might be a great addition to Hogsmeade as well, or a Quidditch field.

By removing DC, you actually get MORE rides. It's similar to JAWS getting replaced by Diagon Alley. You get more bang for your buck.

Dueling Dragons was a world-class coaster. Dragon Challenge? Not so much. HP 3.0 is at the bottom of IOA's needs, but when the day comes, DC isn't unreplaceable in the way something like FJ or Spidey are.

You do realize you could fit 2 or 3 FJs where DC is, right?
And you do realize that that's not the point, right? Who said that IOA needed 2 or 3 more Forbidden Journey rides? Yes, I fully agree that a park can never have too many innovative dark rides and IOA definitely needs more family rides, but they don't need to neuter the park to do so. Universal can not, will not, and should not ever be Disney…while I think it would be smart for them to look to the Disney model a bit more closely, they don't need to completely replicate it; IOA needs thrill rides that set them apart from Disney World, and having TWO great roller coasters most parks would kill for is a great way to do that if you ask me.

the hook for Dueling Dragons is gone. I loved the ride back when they dueled and you had the close encounters with the other train. Back when the queue was creepy and had skeletons everywhere, the atmosphere was perfect. Potter has removed that, and the ride sticks out like a sore thumb now. After seeing what Universal is capable of, I'd like to see what they can do with DC after they fix the rest of IOA.

Yes, the dueling was cool, but Raptor and Montu don't duel and they still hold their own…B&M inverts are just solid rides in general. And as for the queue, it was a place to wait to get on the ride, so I can't take the argument that the queue was the main hook for the ride seriously. So they removed a few skeletons and recordings…it's still a cave that people wait to ride in. To my knowledge, nobody ever went up to Dueling Dragons and said "oh my God, can we please go on this to see the great queue!!!!! The ride is ok too I guess." :lol: And it sticks out no less than it did when it was Dueling Dragons in the Lost Continent, which was themed just as superbly as WWoHP is. I mean, what changed? Medieval markets are allowed to have steel roller coasters but imaginary wizard towns aren't? Let's not forget we're still in a theme park.

You're telling me a naked steel coaster with little semblance of sticking to theme (no mountains, ruins, AA dragons, fog and fire effects, etc) would be better than a lavishly themed coaster on par with Big Thunder, Everest, or even Mummy?

Um…I never said that lol. Themed coasters are great! But we already have several of them in Orlando. Universal isn't going to beat Disney at their own game. As great as the Mummy is, it's no Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. So if I'm going to ride a roller coaster that's limited in intensity because it's bound to the rules of theming, I'll go to Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom. The draw to IOA's roller coasters is that they're intense. You can't have a top-tier roller coaster completely confined to rock work or theming or whatever all the time. It's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

To be honest, when Disney fans complain about things like Universal's Six Flags-esque coasters, I agree with them. Hulk and Rockit are fine because they don't take up much space and Hulk actually adds to MSHI as far as atmosphere goes.

I don't understand that, though. Ok, you say Universal is Six Flags-esque because it has roller coasters…but Hulk and Rockit, which are far more in the way and un-themed than Dragons, are ok. That's kinda a double standard don't you think? I mean, I don't think having a roller coaster makes a park like Six Flags, but if I did, I'd be against Hulk and especially Rock-It. I'm just confused as to where you're at here. Dragon Challenge is the better of those rides…Hulk is aging kinda badly and has some pacing issues and Rock-It can be very rough, very unreliable, and is braked to death. So if we're even just looking at the quality of the rides, I'd say Dragon Challenge is worth keeping over the other two.

By removing DC, you actually get MORE rides. It's similar to JAWS getting replaced by Diagon Alley. You get more bang for your buck.

There are a lot of pretty bad attractions at Universal that need the axe more than Dragon Challenge. I could say that about any ride, really. I mean, you could get a bunch of flat rides if you ripped out Camp Jurassic. Is that something we should do, though?

DC isn't unreplaceable in the way something like FJ or Spidey are.
This is completely YOUR opinion. I respect that you don't like Dragon Challenge for whatever reason. But there IS an audience for it. And the thing is, I honestly don't think you're right that it isn't unreplaceable…if it's as detrimental to the park as you're making it out to be, I don't think JK Rowling would have approved of it. I mean, if the ultimate stickler is ok with it, I think it's pretty safe……..

Reactions: natespf and Mad Dog
For those of you arguing for the removal of DC based on theming...

Sorry to burst your alter-reality but this place isn't real. I don't know if you noticed or not but you're not actually in Hogsmeade....Youre in a theme park. World class or not this place is built to make money. You honestly think taking out one of IOA's marquee rides is going to drive up revenue? Regardless of what they put in this argument is pointless because they're not going to do it at the expense of putting more harry potter in. Why in the world do we need a quiditch field? What good would that do besides making you go "ohh"? I hated seeing this argument when it first popped up and even more so now. Why take out something Potter only to put something else Potter in? The only point I see to them doing this is to appease a few disgruntled nerds who think a roller coaster ruins their precious sight lines. Do we honestly think they care about a few's opinion on two FANTASTIC coasters? Only because it "ruins the moment" and doesn't duel anymore? Please, can we move on from this dead end debate and discuss the beauty and REALITY of the area they are building?

Reactions: TylerDurden
Those last two posts sum up my thoughts perfectly. DC is my favorite ride at the park and I would hate to see it go. I do miss the dueling, but it doesn't change the intense ride experience. I can't believe how many people don't like the ride

Those last two posts sum up my thoughts perfectly. DC is my favorite ride at the park and I would hate to see it go. I do miss the dueling, but it doesn't change the intense ride experience. I can't believe how many people don't like the ride

I don't think it is people not liking the ride as much as it is Potter fanatics wanting pretty much everything from the Potterverse recreated in Orlando and going overboard with the whole theming thing.

I am surprised really that most prefer red, I have come to love blue a lot better as it really packs a punch. In any case, with the proximity of the station DC is even better!

Ice/Blue is definitely a fun ride. I just think the cobra roll was kind of a cheap way to get the ride to five inversions and would have rather seen a second zero-g roll + something else instead. Having the longer lead up to the second near-miss is also moot now that the coasters no longer duel.

But yeah. Still a great ride, and the zero-g roll is an awesome and unique element that Fire/Red lacks.