The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 78 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't think we'll ever truly know who SAS was, unless he comes back and confesses his true identity. The best thing to do is move on from that incident. We have less than 100 days until the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens! It will be a great day for HP fans and theme park fans alike.

They have to have some sort of guest flow system in place, especially if they are doing a preshow in the line. It's just impossible to expect everyone to fill in all the available space and to not skip by people just because they don't want to see a "pre-show".

Could you imagine if at rides like the ToT if they left the library doors open in the preshow the chaos it would cause? A preshow without some sort of guest flow control system is just not going to happen.

They have to have some sort of guest flow system in place, especially if they are doing a preshow in the line. It's just impossible to expect everyone to fill in all the available space and to not skip by people just because they don't want to see a "pre-show".

Could you imagine if at rides like the ToT if they left the library doors open in the preshow the chaos it would cause? A preshow without some sort of guest flow control system is just not going to happen.
I can tell their is gonna be problems look mom or dad its dumbledore angry tourist out of my way kid kid goes hey he cut me and then a arguement happens mom or dad goes you cut my son angry tourist so what do think will happen next.

I think what he means is that there are certain parts of the queue you would like to explore that is just one continuous line... Universal knows how to do pre show queue lines with multiple shows in a queue. Unless there are no preshows at all and it's all one continuous queue...

Wait, I'm confused, when did we figure out that SAS was, in fact, a liar. I've suspected it since the infamous "Wednesday", but don't remember anything either than that being wrong.

I would greatly appreciate an extensive discussion on the topic of queue etiquette. A while ago, I wrote about my concerns with people talking, texting, reciting, etc. with and/or against the scenes within the queue.

Calling the line leading up to the ride vehicles a "queue" is almost misleading when speaking about The Forbidden Journey. My understanding is that the walk through component is a huge part of the overall attraction. And, rumor - as well as first viewers - have all said that the castle walkthrough is spectacular.

Initially, when I read the accounts of seeing the castle, I thought "preshow" and automatic doors. This made sense specifically with the scenes: Dumbledore speaking from the balcony of his office; and the appearance of Harry, Hermione and Ron in The Defense of the Dark Arts classroom. It seems that this is not the case. There are no preplanned barriers - other than crowd flow - to separate the scenes. It will be possible to enter into Dumbledore's office mid monologue, or The Defense of the Dark Arts after the trio have appeared from under the cloak.

At first this all upset me. I wanted the structure. I've been thinking about it a lot and I'm beginning to understand the wisdom in the designer's choices.

The Theater...

I can not tell you how much I hate going to the theater and having someone's mobile device go off! TURN YOUR PHONES OFF! Or, texting. OR, some people just plain talking without knowledge that their rudeness is profound. Or, knowing and not caring!!!!!

Queues, Walkthroughs, Whatever...

Unless you are among the first to arrive at the Haunted Mansion today (why would you be, anyway?), it is impossible to hear the audio track of the preshow without either the other riders ignoring it and carrying on with their own loud conversations, and/or the room reciting along with the Ghost Host. You all know what I'm talking about.

Imagine this summer you are beyond excited to finally be in Hogwarts! OMG! You've made it here. You've just queued up for The Forbidden Journey. Okay, everyone is excited and people are all talking around you. It's okay, you're still at the base of the castle and haven't entered the dungeon yet. The line moves forward and you're inside. OMG!!! It's so very cool and you are in a state of amazement and awe. The group in front of you doesn't seem to appreciate the magnitude of the moment. It's sort of annoying, but people are people and they are entitled to their experience. Their phone rings. They don't immediately put the phone on vibrate only and turn down the call, they take it. They're loud because the room has an echo and perhaps the reception isn't perfect. You slow down a bit. Get some distance from that group.

The greenhouse. No problem. Of course, it's mostly a queue - as the word is intended - and your doing the switchback. People are taking. It's okay. There is some stuff to look at, but...

The castle... People are leaving the greenhouse and because you've first entered into what appears to be a long hall, they aren't naturally stopping their conversations. They're talking through the line. You're both annoyed because it's making it harder for you to hear, and also because, DON'T THEY GET IT? Perhaps someone "sssh'es them". Maybe you. They don't quiet down, they get indignant.

Anyway... you get my idea. Am I crazy, should I not be annoyed? How do we set appropriate boundaries with other riders? Is it okay to ask them to turn off their cells? Will Universal take charge and try to set a new standard for the queue. Have they installed jammers? Perhaps, cell phones won't work in the castle.

Discuss...

Last edited:
I think what he means is that there are certain parts of the queue you would like to explore that is just one continuous line... Universal knows how to do pre show queue lines with multiple shows in a queue. Unless there are no preshows at all and it's all one continuous queue...
Im gonna say to avoid problems with the line get to the park early and then you wont have to deal with angry people who are mad that the wait is long and they want to experince some other ride.

a few pages back asked about the wands. The ellen clip she was in the wand shop. it showed a TON of wands. dont know if they are all for sale or not.

Im excited for tonights show! Hope its good!

PS thanks to those who have continued to vote for me. I am still in the top spot and and am about 25 votes from 1000!! So 25 ... or more ;) of you vote. I really would love to hit 1000 votes!

Know that Universal is reading this forum. This is your chance to have your ideas regarding queue etiquette be heard.

If this queue is truly a "new" thing, unlike any line before it - an integral part of the experience - can Universal set a new standard of "queue" behavior. How about announcing a no cell phone policy, or a "silence is golden" moment? How would they do it? What would be appropriate?

AND, how does this change in a year or two when the ride isn't so new and perhaps we do want to quickly walk through parts of the castle? How do we respect those who are seeing it for a first time?

Maybe the open queue without automatic doors helps to promote the different approaches people are going to have to this attraction. Maybe Universal got it just right. (Universal please institute a no cell phone policy and request people be respectfully quiet, or at least quieter.)

I really love walk throughs and this part of the experience is important to me. I am very excited that Universal chose to really evolve the queue.

Last edited:
So, how many preshows are we talking here. Is this the order below?

1. DD's Office
2. Defense Against the Dark Arts.
3. Then RofR as the Loading area (or is it a loading area before the loading area?)

Is that basically it? If so, how many attractions have two separate preshows before the ride itself? By preshow I mean, load the room up with people and then stop the line. Empty the room (show) then to the next room (show) and then a final mini queue inside of the RofR and then load.

Only one off the top of my head I can think of Teebin would be Disaster

EDIT : To an extent, I guess you could include Haunted Mansion in there as well....the portrait room where the man turns into a skeleton, then the strecthing room.

So, how many preshows are we talking here. Is this the order below?

1. DD's Office
2. Defense Against the Dark Arts.
3. Then RofR as the Loading area (or is it a loading area before the loading area?)

Is that basically it? If so, how many attractions have two separate preshows before the ride itself? By preshow I mean, load the room up with people and then stop the line. Empty the room (show) then to the next room (show) and then a final mini queue inside of the RofR and then load.

I would include the portrait gallery and the commons room. Even though they don't seem to be using this amazing new technology that makes Dumbledore and then Harry, Hermione and Ron seem in the room with you, the paintings are speaking and some of their dialogue does progress the story.

As far as I know, currently, there is no plan to start and stop the flow. I believe (this has not been verified) that the distance between the railings is such that people can pass and others can stay within a room and watch for as long as they like. Because of this, even the scenes might not immediately repeat themselves. I suspect similar content, so that the story is getting told, but the specific dialogue might be altered and played differently, so to give a more "natural" illusion.

I would include the portrait gallery and the commons room. Even though they don't seem to be using this amazing new technology that makes Dumbledore and then Harry, Hermione and Ron seem in the room with you, the paintings are speaking and some of their dialogue does progress the story.

As far as I know, currently, there is no plan to start and stop the flow. I believe (this has not been verified) that the distance between the railings is such that people can pass and others can stay within a room and watch for as long as they like. Because of this, even the scenes might not immediately repeat themselves. I suspect similar content, so that the story is getting told, but the specific dialogue might be altered and played differently, so to give a more "natural" illusion.

I read a article where the scripts of the painting would be such as they would not repete. Not sure where I saw this at. I know it was linked some where on here.

The queue includes the following Harry Potter book and film elements: Headmaster Dumbledore’s office, Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, Gryffindor common room, Room of Requirement, and the greenhouse. I thought we go through the green house and then enter the castle.

I read a article where the scripts of the painting would be such as they would not repete. Not sure where I saw this at. I know it was linked some where on here.

I think you're right - well sort of. I think they do repeat, but not as frequently as we're used to. I think that they are on script and their scenes are all covering the aspect of the story that needs to be communicated at that point in the queue, but they do this in several different ways before the entire experience loops.

I believe the hope is that people will come back over and over and see / hear new things.

Right... but these two final rooms sound more like beginning and end rooms... like putting test track preshow holding room back to back with dinosaur preshow holding room. Remember, the story is that the three stars appear from beneath a cloak and tell you something and you are on your way. This suggests a STOP. While Dumbledore may be able to ramble on, I doubt it.... but the the three stars appearing from beneath a cloak cannot happen over and over in a standard queue in front of the same people. Both of these have to be "STOP" rooms... or they will look dumb if the ride goes down for a few minutes. See what I am getting at?

All of the rooms prior I know about... but those are just standard queues. Paintings will talk and talk and be fun.

Last edited:
I agree Teebin some of these just have to be stop room then you can chose to stay in a stop room & watch it again. There has to be some sort of barrier between some of the rooms or crowd flow will not be pretty.

Right... but these two final rooms sound more like beginning and end rooms... like putting test track preshow holding room back to back with dinosaur preshow holding room. Remember, the story is that the three stars appear from beneath a cloak and tell you something and you are on your way. This suggests a STOP. While Dumbledore may be able to ramble on, I doubt it.... but the the three stars appearing from beneath a cloak cannot happen over and over in front of the same people. Both of these have to be "STOP" rooms... or they will look dumb if the ride goes down for a few minutes. See what I am getting at?

That was my first reaction and assumption, too. There is no "starts" and "stops" other than the crowd itself.

Now, I'm speculating here (what I "know" is only that the queue is currently continuous)... What if the Harry, Hermione and Ron scene is written starting with, "there you are..." or something that leads into the important information in such a way that it doesn't necessarily imply this is an introduction, but a "you have to get moving"?

It sounds like a tricky set of scenes to write, as I think there is more than one scene for each of these moments. If you do stay in a room through 2 or 3 or ??? you will eventually see the same scene played again, but if you arrive and the trio is already in the room, you catch what they say and they disappear under the cloak. A few moments later, they reappear and urge you to get to the Room of Requirement. I think it can work.

What concerns me more is Universal setting an appropriate tone regarding people feeling comfortable staying back, passing, keeping talk / noise to a minimum, etc. I think this is going to be a very different experience than we're used to, and I don't know how intrinsic its going to feel to stay back and the people behind you knowing it's okay to pass.

I'm really curious about what Universal is thinking regarding this.

--- Update ---

I suspect there will be lots of TMs along the queue making sure that people understand the flow.

Last edited: