The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 626 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not sure about cutting the line off to get in to the WW before park closing, but I did notice that at 9pm the Ollivander's line had been cut off (with a TM standing at the end) since it had been a 3 hour line pretty much all day - this was Friday, btw.

I think as the weeks go by, things will calm down and they'll find a way that works. It'll still be busy, but it won't be the opening week anymore...or opening month.
I understand what WTRiker is saying about it not having full access, but they need to control the crowds somehow. At this point I feel it is unrealistic to open it fully because of how many people would flood in. At night, this is probably more of a possibility. But for the mad rush of guests that come during the morning and afternoon, they need to find a system that can satisfy people and keep people moving throughout the park steadily.

--- Update ---

By the way, my brother and I were discussing how they should have some sort of way of selling Butterbeer to the people waiting in line to get into the land. I mean...they'd make a killing. At least the little cups or something. For huge fans it may ruin the feeling of "I just got my first Butterbeer in Hogsmeade!" But it might soothe some of the people in line...

How are Universal handling the package holders with early3B breakfast reservations?
Separate line?
Take your chance that you arrive early enough to make your ressie time?
Calling people out of the line to the front?
What do off site package holders have to prove they are allowed early entry? A copy of their booking or some sort of pass?

I know that they line up for breakfast and check the list for their name at 3B, but I've only seen onsite folks in our line at 7am. I think the package people line up in JP but I'm not sure. The line for onsite hotels where they check your room key is in Seuss Landing. We did buy breakfast yesterday but they seemed rather confused as to why we were there buying breakfast and asked us repeatedly for our breakfast coupon.

Three Broomsticks breakfast is for those who purchased the HP Package. If you got in without the package consider yourselves very lucky. The Breakfast is booked up through September according to an employee. During lunch and dinner it is open to all on a first come first serve basis but I did see "Reserved" signs on a few tables around 3 pm last Friday and Sunday.

Well, first, if they let normal guest flow through the area and utilized the attractions queues to do what they were designed for, they wouldnt HAVE those lines to let in.
Second, this is a Land, EXACTLY. Access to the land itself should be open, if you want to get in line for the rides, shows, even shops while they are this crowded, go ahead. But the land itself should be open. I REALLY dont think you would have the problem.

Simply: If I have to wait 5 hours just to enter the area, and once I am in, I am in, then Im staying as long as I possibly can, especially when I see 10-20 min waits for 2 out of 3 attractions and 1-2 hours for the premiere one! Heck, theres food, theres shopping, I may just stay all day and I get plenty to do - but it means someone else can not get in and is still in line outside the area.

If on the other hand I can pass through, look around, see that the ride wait times are longer than I want to wait, grab something to drink, etc, then Im somewhat satisfied and Ill move on which of course makes room for the next person (or persons).

If the line for the individual attraction (lets take HG for example) gets up to 50 minutes this way, it still has the same hourly capacity: difference is, MORE people are actually experiencing it, as opposed to me not wanting to leave the Land and deciding to ride it myself 4 or 5 times because its only a 10 minute wait and, well, Im in the Land and youre not, so too bad so sad!

When you look at it that way - the problem becomes more aware.

Also, I am not looking at this from a "Only Harry Potter Fans" outlook: I personally have stated many times I am NOT a Harry Potter fan, I am a Theme Park nut! So the "its an entire land...based on....blah blah blah" doesnt matter to me - the point is: its a Themed Land yes, with 3 Attractions and 2-3 Shows. And looking at it from that standpoint, (and a lot of guests do - not everyone is a Harry Potter fan, or a Comic book fan, or a Snow White fan, etc), and IOA being in the Theme Park business, they also need to consider the bigger picture.

As to the point that "it is an entire land based on...."

Weather or not it is Themed on Harry Potter, or on Santa Claus, it is NOT a seperate ticketed attraction or area- access to it by design should not be treated as such. Its just bad policy.

If youre going to restrict access without a method of making sure everyone has the same opportunity to visit (some way to force people out or restrict them to only ride the ride once a day,etc), or make it a seperate ticketed attraction, then you have to take this into consideration.

I understand what you are saying, but you are completely ignoring everyone on here who is saying that it is already extremely crowded inside and almost impossible to move around. What happens if they allow everyone to go in? They're going to suddenly change their minds and not want to go? People are getting there at 6 in the morning. I am a theme park fan as well, so don't give me the "this doesn't matter to me" bull. I'm simply saying that this isn't a Van Helsing attraction. To say, "It doesn't matter if it's a HP attraction" is ridiculous. Why do you think there are so many people there right now? Must be all those hardcore theme park enthusiasts. Wait a sec, why are they all wearing robes and glasses? Come on, man, I LOVE theme parks and learn as much as I can about them, but I'm not going to sit around and act like HP is just another franchise.

And for your whole argument about people wanting "intimacy" IT'S NOT ABOUT THAT! There is no intimacy right now. Even with that line, IT'S PACKED. I agree that the line isn't the best solution, but to just throw open the gates is an even worse decision.

Last edited:
I'm getting extremely worried about my family's 3-Day Weekend trip. I'm going to be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...then its good bye till 2011/2012.

I need good advice and tips in a nutshell. Going to try to make this the best trip it could possibly be before we depart. What to do?

I know that they line up for breakfast and check the list for their name at 3B, but I've only seen onsite folks in our line at 7am. I think the package people line up in JP but I'm not sure. The line for onsite hotels where they check your room key is in Seuss Landing. We did buy breakfast yesterday but they seemed rather confused as to why we were there buying breakfast and asked us repeatedly for our breakfast coupon.

So as an onsite guest how long did it take you to get in to WW?

just got back

ok ok ... lets all settle down. Universal is handeling things perfectly. I just went to IOA at 3:00.. walked right into WWOHP went on single riders FJ in less then 15 min. yes there are lines for the stores still and its very crowded (regular wait for FJ is at 120) but all these EXTREAMLY long winded convos about waiting to get in to the land is a moot point. The only reason there are lines in the morning is because everyone thinks there is going to be a line. so they show up and stand there instead of going on other attractions. by 2:30 3:00 people move on and the line to get in (which is becasue of capacity of the land and moving people through) is gone.

go after dark or after rain and you can see the entire land and ride FJ in less then 2 hours! they dont need fast pass. right now the people who deserve to get into olivanders etc are the people who feel that experiencing that moment is worth the wait (and I have talked to people who are going 2-3 times a day and waiting hours and are perfectly happy) not some bloke who wont care but has a fast pass to come back to it later. :peace:

ok ok ... lets all settle down. Universal is handeling things perfectly. I just went to IOA at 3:00.. walked right into WWOHP went on single riders FJ in less then 15 min. yes there are lines for the stores still and its very crowded (regular wait for FJ is at 120) but all these EXTREAMLY long winded convos about waiting to get in to the land is a moot point. The only reason there are lines in the morning is because everyone thinks there is going to be a line. so they show up and stand there instead of going on other attractions. by 2:30 3:00 people move on and the line to get in (which is becasue of capacity of the land and moving people through) is gone.

go after dark or after rain and you can see the entire land and ride FJ in less then 2 hours! they dont need fast pass. right now the people who deserve to get into olivanders etc are the people who feel that experiencing that moment is worth the wait (and I have talked to people who are going 2-3 times a day and waiting hours and are perfectly happy) not some bloke who wont care but has a fast pass to come back to it later. :peace:

Thanks for the info! I figured they had some sort of formal capacity restriction. Remember, just because the lines for DC and FotH are only 20 mins each, doesn't mean the place isn't crowded. Not everyone is going to want to ride that is super intense and been around for 10 years.

Last edited:
JymmyMack, heres the answer:

Then the easy solution is to hard ticket "Harry Potter nights" for those who really want to hang out in the one land, and open it up to everyone (full access) and let the ride queues themselves manage the day guests.

That way, if you really WANT the exclusitivity without the day crowds, pay 50 bucks for a 4 hour exclusive (about the average time to enjoy the area based on the limited access during the Softs). 10PM-2AM. And a commemorative pin, or even an exclusive souveneir mug for Butterbeer at refill prices for the duration - either of which cost them almost nothing to have manufactured.

Otherwise, just like every other theme park, just like every other new attraction/area: everyone allowed into the area and during the day you take your chances.
(And UO makes more money off of Potter).

And Im betting if they advertised this now, while the waits are this long and people are coming in exclusively for HP, they would have no problem booking to capacity this summer.
Miss the window of opportunity now though, and no matter how good a deal it is and how many extras are included and it will be as hard to sell tickets as Pirate and Princess Parties were at Disney)

I seem to remember they were toying with the idea of doing after hours rides for a fee on RRR through the Citiwalk/Blue Man gate access at one point: again, minimum staffing required, limited access area, and possibly a bundle of extra $$s.

Last edited:
JymmyMack, heres the answer:

Then the easy solution is to hard ticket "Harry Potter nights" for those who really want to hang out in the one land, and open it up to everyone (full access) and let the ride queues themselves manage the day guests.

That way, if you really WANT the exclusitivity without the day crowds, pay 50 bucks for a 4 hour exclusive (about the average time to enjoy the area based on the limited access during the Softs). 10PM-2AM. And a commemorative pin, or even an exclusive souveneir mug for Butterbeer at refill prices for the duration - either of which cost them almost nothing to have manufactured.

Otherwise, just like every other theme park, just like every other new attraction/area: everyone allowed into the area and during the day you take your chances.
(And UO makes more money off of Potter).

And Im betting if they advertised this now, while the waits are this long and people are coming in exclusively for HP, they would have no problem booking to capacity this summer.
Miss the window of opportunity now though, and no matter how good a deal it is and how many extras are included and it will be as hard to sell tickets as Pirate and Princess Parties were at Disney)

That's a great idea! That way people get trampled in the early mornings and UO can just pay off the fire marshal! Even if there was a separate ticketed night time thingy, people will still bum-rush this thing in the morning. It sounds to me like Uni is just controlling it before it gets out of hand and then opening it fully (which is what you want) when it calms down. No chaos, everyone gets in, everyone's happy.

And don't worry about them making more money off of Potter. They can't even keep their items in stock! They're selling out of $300 brooms, imagine how hard it must be to keep other things that are $290 less expensive than that!

Last edited:
Three Broomsticks breakfast is for those who purchased the HP Package. If you got in without the package consider yourselves very lucky. The Breakfast is booked up through September according to an employee. During lunch and dinner it is open to all on a first come first serve basis but I did see "Reserved" signs on a few tables around 3 pm last Friday and Sunday.

The reserved signs are for the great feast which they deliver to the tables.

--- Update ---

So as an onsite guest how long did it take you to get in to WW?

We have been entering the park at 7:10 and lining up in Seuss Landing. They let you in WW at 8:00, and people head either to FJ or Ollivanders and line up there. This morning I got three rides on FJ in before 9 am. By 8:30 the Ollivanders line was 2-3 hours long and all the shops already had lines to get in. The place is wall to wall people and Universal really has no choice about lining people up tp enter the land.

ok ok ... lets all settle down.

But Teebin HATES settling down... I love feisty conversations!

:wave:

Not everyone is going to want to ride that is super intense and been around for 10 years.

Took me 5 years to get up the nerve to ride it... my palms were all sweaty therefore I could not hold onto the handles... I was terrified... but 3 months at the Betty Ford Clinic put me right back to normal. *twitch twitch twitch*

That's a great idea! That way people get trampled in the early mornings and UO can just pay off the fire marshal!

One of my most admired attributes in a person is black comic sarcasm. :sneaky:

BTW Jymmy... are you planning a visit to the WW in the future?

Last edited:
I really don't think there is much choice for Universal. What you don't seem to understand is that the streets are jam packed by 9 am. The lines into the stores start at that time as well. Olivanders line starts forming at 8 am. There is no room for more people in the land until other people leave. The FJ line is really not as large as many seem to think. Unless you have actually seen this in action, it's hard to imagine. I have never seen anything like it and I have spent a lot of time in theme parks here in Orlando as well as inCalifornia where I live. Sure DD has a mostly empty line, but people are there to experience the atmosphere of the entire place, especially the shops. People are just standing in the streets taking pictures with huge smiles on their faces. It's crazy, nuts, and yet fun just to soak it all in. In the afternoons it seems to lighten up and then they let you in and out of the area with no lines.

I find it odd to criticize something you have not even experienced yet.

I'm staying at the Hard Rock for the July 4th weekend - what's the deal with resort early entry? How does the on-site resort entry system work? Do resort guests get some sort of priority in entering the area? Do Hippogriff & Dragon Challenge have express? (Sorry for all the questions!)

Reactions: Colleendoll
That's a great idea! That way people get trampled in the early mornings and UO can just pay off the fire marshal! Even if there was a separate ticketed night time thingy, people will still bum-rush this thing in the morning. It sounds to me like Uni is just controlling it before it gets out of hand and then opening it fully (which is what you want) when it calms down. No chaos, everyone gets in, everyone's happy.

And don't worry about them making more money off of Potter. They can't even keep their items in stock! They're selling out of $300 brooms, imagine how hard it must be to keep other things that are $290 less expensive than that!

Dude - Peace! We arent at war, so Im going to read your response as sarcasm. - cause I would hate to think it was anything else. :)

But - Fire Marshall would be concerned with building capacity - thats what greeters are for.

Capacity in the area/Land is a different thing since people are moving: not fighting to get up to the front of a stage to see the Rolling Stones and staying there. There are still capacity restrictions for safety reasons, but again you are holding an entire area hostage with exclusive access to two E-Ticket attractions hostage for hours to those who got into the area and may not leave to make room for others. Like it or not, the folks who make it in can stay as long as they want and in the 5 hours someone on the outside may still be waiting in line they could ride FJ, DC, etc multiple times with virtually no wait (according to DC wait times posted and single riders line for FJ). That problem balances itself out ONLY if you allow everyone the same access to the area - yeah it raises wait time for the individual attractions but everyone has the same access.

My basic point is they are creating artificial lines/crowds/waits, etc and miniscule wait times for specific attractions inside the area when the ride queues themselves should be doing the jobs they were designed to do.

Just like the beef I have with Fastpass in a lot of locations: artificial wait times and exclusitivity. Take Peter Pan in particular, Big Thunder for another. They hand out 60 percent of their daily capacity for those two attractions in Fastpasses each day because people "expect" it, and it creates an artificially high wait time in the standby line that never existed prior to Fastpass.

And obviously they are making a killing on HP already - why not strike while the irons hot and make all you can? Especially while its crowded and you can sell some new package that (since youre already operating on a 365 day schedule doesnt cost much to man and maintain comparitively for a few extra hours)?

Cause I dont care HOW BIG HP is: I dont care if its STAR WARS park or Lord of the Rings park, or even give it 2 years and attendance will level off again - and so will sales of merch. No matter what license it is, it always does.

(BTW: as to the robe/uber-fan thing, ever seen the entire 501st legion march at Disney in full Stormtrooper uniforms during Star Wars Weekends? Have to admit it puts the kids running around in robes at HP to shame!)

And no, not everyone wants to ride DC,heck Ive never even ridden DD/DC myself cause Im not a coaster guy!
But the argument that "its been around for 10 years" doesnt hold up either....first it has been re-themed, but aside from that: do you have ANY IDEA how many people I have met in the course of a regular day out at WDW that have NEVER been there and this is their FIRST TRIP? And its been around since 1971!

But again, not everyone vacationing in Orlando and going to IOA even this year is going because of harry potter - yes a lot are, but in this business you have to cater to the other guests too: the E-Ticket enthusiests, the roller coaster lovers, the casual day-guests, etc. And not all of them scheduled their vacations because of or even with knowledge of in a lot of cases about HP. The numbers of visitors to the area vs the number of people that hang out on these and other boards, blogs,etc is very miniscule...its just a fact.

Why are you guys saying that people are in the park at 7 to 8ish when the parks don't open until 9? I'm seriously getting confused now.

But Teebin HATES settling down... I love feisty conversations!

:wave:

One of my most admired attributes in a person is black comic sarcasm. :sneaky:

GOOD to know Im not the only one...lmao!

(best Hulk voice): SMASH!!!!!!!!!

And Ive never made it on DC/DD and have no urge to try RRR, Kracken, or Manta:
Did Hulk twice in my life and BOTH TIMES I came off white as a ghost: I dont think there was a drop of blood left in my head my face was so pale!
(But Ill ride RnRC , ToT, or Doom all day long: strange, huh?)

Hm... I didn't realize one could actually receive a masters degree in verbosity. Excellent execution I must admit and far better than anything I could commit, ermm, achieve.

Why are you guys saying that people are in the park at 7 to 8ish when the parks don't open until 9? I'm seriously getting confused now.

Hotel package guests only Jmaff... they get in to have breakfast at the Tri-Swiffer at 8AM. They can also skip the breakfast and ride all of the rides in that time.

Last edited:
Dude - Peace! We arent at war, so Im going to read your response as sarcasm. - cause I would hate to think it was anything else. :)

But - Fire Marshall would be concerned with building capacity - thats what greeters are for.

Capacity in the area/Land is a different thing since people are moving: not fighting to get up to the front of a stage to see the Rolling Stones and staying there. There are still capacity restrictions for safety reasons, but again you are holding an entire area hostage with exclusive access to two E-Ticket attractions hostage for hours to those who got into the area and may not leave to make room for others. Like it or not, the folks who make it in can stay as long as they want and in the 5 hours someone on the outside may still be waiting in line they could ride FJ, DC, etc multiple times with virtually no wait (according to DC wait times posted and single riders line for FJ). That problem balances itself out ONLY if you allow everyone the same access to the area - yeah it raises wait time for the individual attractions but everyone has the same access.

My basic point is they are creating artificial lines/crowds/waits, etc and miniscule wait times for specific attractions inside the area when the ride queues themselves should be doing the jobs they were designed to do.

Just like the beef I have with Fastpass in a lot of locations: artificial wait times and exclusitivity. Take Peter Pan in particular, Big Thunder for another. They hand out 60 percent of their daily capacity for those two attractions in Fastpasses each day because people "expect" it, and it creates an artificially high wait time in the standby line that never existed prior to Fastpass.

And obviously they are making a killing on HP already - why not strike while the irons hot and make all you can? Especially while its crowded and you can sell some new package that (since youre already operating on a 365 day schedule doesnt cost much to man and maintain comparitively for a few extra hours)?

Cause I dont care HOW BIG HP is: I dont care if its STAR WARS park or Lord of the Rings park, or even give it 2 years and attendance will level off again - and so will sales of merch. No matter what license it is, it always does.

(BTW: as to the robe/uber-fan thing, ever seen the entire 501st legion march at Disney in full Stormtrooper uniforms during Star Wars Weekends? Have to admit it puts the kids running around in robes at HP to shame!)

And no, not everyone wants to ride DC,heck Ive never even ridden DD/DC myself cause Im not a coaster guy!
But the argument that "its been around for 10 years" doesnt hold up either....first it has been re-themed, but aside from that: do you have ANY IDEA how many people I have met in the course of a regular day out at WDW that have NEVER been there and this is their FIRST TRIP? And its been around since 1971!

But again, not everyone vacationing in Orlando and going to IOA even this year is going because of harry potter - yes a lot are, but in this business you have to cater to the other guests too: the E-Ticket enthusiests, the roller coaster lovers, the casual day-guests, etc. And not all of them scheduled their vacations because of or even with knowledge of in a lot of cases about HP. The numbers of visitors to the area vs the number of people that hang out on these and other boards, blogs,etc is very miniscule...its just a fact.

Yeah it was sarcasm, no real hate here, bro. And you're right about it leveling off. Of course it will level off. But for the next couple of months, HP die-hards WILL bum-rush this place. FJ seems to be averaging a 120 wait, which would be much higher if not for the lines outside. The DC will never get about more than an hour because it is an extreme ride. People are afraid of it, the lines will never be as long as it will for a family-style thrill attraction. And you seriously have to be a little deluded to think that all these people getting to the gates of IOA at 6 am aren't there for HP. Those that aren't there for HP, like you keep pointing out, have free-reign of BOTH parks! If they don't want to wait, nobody is making them. I just don't get why you aren't reacting to EVERYONE who has been there saying that the lines outside are the only thing preventing the land from utter anarchy in the morning. These people have all been there and are all saying the same thing. What's the deal?

I'm staying at the Royal Pacific like we did 2 years ago...I'm guessing we have to wait until 9. Must make sure we are the first people on the actual schedule lol.

You're talking about the WWoHP Hotel Package correct?