The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 889 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
^ I would quicker think that Uni contacted WB as they wanted all of their designs from the films. WB only had film/merch rights and it was WB who contacted JKRs agents/managers/legal monolith regarding a themepark deal. Disney may or may not have contacted WB and instead went directly to the JKR agents/managers/legal machine. I would imagine JKR's closest aides brought her the initial proposals and she skoffed and/or agreed to see more.

Some of you here are so new that I don't believe you saw Universals initial proposals and concepts... they were horrid; a change of signs and people running around in robes in the old Lost Continent. So, I am confident that JKR never took a call directly with Disney or Universal at the outset. It was her people/their people.
Would you happen to know where I could see the original plans?

The only thing I like about the old plans is that Enchanted Oak was still there.

I loved the oak, but it is better off this way. Potter needed to be its' own island, not some new stuff piled on top of LC. As awesome as the original LC was, Potter was a game changer for Universal and all these new exciting additions we are going to see is because of that monster cash flow it is bringing them. Sacrificing LC was worth what we are going to see from Universal for years to come.

I loved the oak, but it is better off this way. Potter needed to be its' own island, not some new stuff piled on top of LC. As awesome as the original LC was, Potter was a game changer for Universal and all these new exciting additions we are going to see is because of that monster cash flow it is bringing them. Sacrificing LC was worth what we are going to see from Universal for years to come.

If it was to be done all over again I'd level LC myself to make for Potter. Potter isn't just Potter, it's everything we see today that has changed in the last 3 years. If I had to I'd give up Marvel Superhero Island i would based off knowing all that would happen.

If it was to be done all over again I'd level LC myself to make for Potter. Potter isn't just Potter, it's everything we see today that has changed in the last 3 years. If I had to I'd give up Marvel Superhero Island i would based off knowing all that would happen.

^ All of the money that has been put into the parks. The parade, the nighttime snow, the guest service initiatives, the infrastructure upgrades, Transformers, USH's push forward, hotel additions, TM parking garage, Wet and Wild land purchase, and all those future projects are all on the heals of potter.

Remember this is a resort that pre-potter was selling off land and cutting staff.

^ All of the money that has been put into the parks. The parade, the nighttime snow, the guest service initiatives, the infrastructure upgrades, Transformers, USH's push forward, hotel additions, TM parking garage, Wet and Wild land purchase, and all those future projects are all on the heals of potter.

Remember this is a resort that pre-potter was selling off land and cutting staff.
Actually, the push to step it up at UOR started before Potter with The Simpson's and Disaster! It had a lot to do with Comcast buying NBC/Universal. When NBC was driving, the resort wasn't really in trouble like some have portrayed it. But NBC was trying to sell off the Parks division and they wanted it as lean as possible to lower their asking price. That is why they sold most of the land they weren't using. It wasn't because the resort was bleeding money.

Actually, the push to step it up at UOR started before Potter with The Simpson's and Disaster! It had a lot to do with Comcast buying NBC/Universal. When NBC was driving, the resort wasn't really in trouble like some have portrayed it. But NBC was trying to sell off the Parks division and they wanted it as lean as possible to lower their asking price. That is why they sold most of the land they weren't using. It wasn't because the resort was bleeding money.

Disaster and Simpsons were both opened prior to Comcast buying NBC.

They cut hourly staff when the park got very slow, but that's obvious. They cut back of house and management as well as sold land during the construction of Rockit (which was also the early days of potter construction). They did it because they didn't take out a loan for the construction, instead using the operating revenue to fund the construction. They trimmed every budget known to man to funnel money to the construction budget for potter 1. They cut the supply budgets so hard that printer paper started to be an issue and there was a push to print on both sides.

Yea that was a fun time in their history. I kid you not "You need more pens? I just gave you five last week. What happened to those?" "Well that's a two page document correct? Use the copy machine to print it front and back. It will save paper and the toner for that is cheaper then the toner for your printer"

Not sure why, but I always figured Potter was Blackstone trying to build value so they could sell out of UNI for a good asking price.

Does anyone know what the mix was like between NBC and Blackstone as far as park budgets/decisions and such or have an idea where most of the decisions really came from?

Not sure why, but I always figured Potter was Blackstone trying to build value so they could sell out of UNI for a good asking price.

Does anyone know what the mix was like between NBC and Blackstone as far as park budgets/decisions and such or have an idea where most of the decisions really came from?
The ownership slit was an even 50/50. IF you're feeling adventurous you can read the partnership agreement online.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000095013603002247/file002.htm

I am fairly confident that was the last version of the agreement.

Last edited:

Under that agreement NBC was the operator. Blackstone obviously as a half owner had the right to comment and visit. Any spending over I believe a million dollars (for a single project) they had to sign off on. I might be off on the number. But they were involved in potter with that amount of cash going out.

Tiny bit OT, but does anyone know if there may be a record of 2010 crowd levels at Universal? My searching didn’t turn anything up. The farthest back I found was 2011. I’m curious what the crowd levels were in November after the summer opening of the Wizarding World. My family wants to go to Universal and Disney this year, and November is looking like our month of choice, but I’m a bit concerned that Diagon Alley is going to be miserably busy (even during the slow season) for the first year it’s open.

Tiny bit OT, but does anyone know if there may be a record of 2010 crowd levels at Universal? My searching didn’t turn anything up. The farthest back I found was 2011. I’m curious what the crowd levels were in November after the summer opening of the Wizarding World. My family wants to go to Universal and Disney this year, and November is looking like our month of choice, but I’m a bit concerned that Diagon Alley is going to be miserably busy (even during the slow season) for the first year it’s open.
You will probably have to dig up the financial reports and conference calls from that time. I do not know if Universal City Development Partners had their own calls or if the information was discussed, likely very briefly, on the GE and/or Blackstone calls. I do know that they filed their financial reports with the SEC separately and they are available for examination via the SEC's website, which can be a bit of a pain to search. You likely will not find any exact numbers, just discussion of trends and maybe some percentages.

Early November? Very busy, sometimes using the return time ticket system
Thanksgiving week? Packed, using the return time ticket system from 10am-6pm.

I didn't find anything specifically from November, but here's a report from Sept. 1st showing low crowd levels and a 20-minute posted wait time for Forbidden Journey (2 1/2 months after opening!!! :yikes:).

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2010/09/smaller-crowds-mean-few-lines-to-be-found-in-universal-orlandos-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/

Also check out Orlando Informer's crowd prediction calendar. It has seemed to be fairly accurate in my experience. Good luck!

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/universal/crowd-calendar/

It would definitely be between Nov 2-14. You couldn't pay me to go to Universal or Disney on the week of Thanksgiving. I'll have to chat with my family, see what they think. Crowds are projected to be low those weeks in Nov, but Orlando Informer is warning that those predictions may not apply to Diagon Alley. All I know is, if there's a decent chance it's gonna be so busy you can barely move, I'd almost rather wait until next year.

Last edited: