The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood | Page 218 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
On Park Journey's Twitter, the front gate looks completely empty. It looks like any other normal day. Crazy. I thought it would be filled to the brim with people all the way up City Walk. 

I realize USH is doing a great job handling the crowds, but do you think USH over estimated the crowds by how the priced the tix and passes? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed today in Filch's Emporium that around the ceilings contain toys, games, firecrackers and other pranking devices confiscated from students.

55rwn7.jpg

jt9lwp.jpg

So, according to Universal they "sold out" online for tickets but it seems like the park is doing just fine. It's definitely no where near as packed as both Japan and Orlando were on their opening days. Granted, I know Orlando was crazy because that was the first iteration of all of this. But still. It seems like USH was expecting a much bigger turn out than what they got. Is it because this is the 3rd version of Potter? Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that USJ and USO both opened during the summer when kids aren't in school? Either way it just seems like today was a pretty moderate day. I just checked the wait times on their site and Forbidden Journey is only a 50 minute wait currently and the rides in the rest of the park are essentially walk-ons. I was expecting a line out of the front gate of the park. 

With that said, I'm still excited to finally have this open in Hollywood. It's an awesome addition to the park and SoCal.

There are currently lines to get into all the shops. A little after opening, the wait time for FJ was 180. I still think it's pretty packed but not as packed as I thought it would be. I heard that tomorrow and this weekend would be especially busy. Maybe people avoided today in anticipation of the crowds? Either way, I think all the miscommunication and different information given regarding opening day was also a factor.

I was also surprised how mild the overall experience was but I do have to say the lines for Honeydukes, Three Broomsticks and all the shops are quite long.  Maybe people are stuck there and not anywhere else?  I wish there were wait times available for all that!

Reactions: icarusunbound
On Park Journey's Twitter, the front gate looks completely empty. It looks like any other normal day. Crazy. I thought it would be filled to the brim with people all the way up City Walk. 

I realize USH is doing a great job handling the crowds, but do you think USH over estimated the crowds by how the priced the tix and passes? 

If they did it was on purpose. USH played it extremely safe, knowing their park can't handle USJ or UOR crowds. They debut the land in the middle of the week of April, not June or July. In addition all the lessons learned from IoA, USJ, and USF were implemented here. There were not crazy long lines because everyone was processed and moved along early and efficiently. The success of a land is not based on the amount of headache it causes to get into it. After Diagon Alley opened I know of several people exclaiming to everyone how the land was a disappointment to Universal, they were cutting hours! There were no massive lines! Totally missing the point that their diversion tactics (Transformers and Simpsons) along with better crowd control created a better experience for all. As for those cut hours, it was "all hands on deck for the apocalypse" to "very high volume".

If they did it was on purpose. USH played it extremely safe, knowing their park can't handle USJ or UOR crowds. They debut the land in the middle of the week of April, not June or July. In addition all the lessons learned from IoA, USJ, and USF were implemented here. There were not crazy long lines because everyone was processed and moved along early and efficiently. The success of a land is not based on the amount of headache it causes to get into it. After Diagon Alley opened I know of several people exclaiming to everyone how the land was a disappointment to Universal, they were cutting hours! There were no massive lines! Totally missing the point that their diversion tactics (Transformers and Simpsons) along with better crowd control created a better experience for all. As for those cut hours, it was "all hands on deck for the apocalypse" to "very high volume".

Well said, well said.

I'm planning on finally visiting this weekend, and I have a question about the early entry. I see the website says that early entry is for people who bought their tickets online - does that include annual passes purchased online?

Almsot all rides are walk-ons right now and the park still has over an hour and a half of operating hours today. FJ is labeled as 25, but I am pretty sure that is a walk on too. Universal really needs a way to keep guest staying late at the park.    I'm looking at you, castle projection show.

Almsot all rides are walk-ons right now and the park still has over an hour and a half of operating hours today. FJ is labeled as 25, but I am pretty sure that is a walk on too. Universal really needs a way to keep guest staying late at the park.    I'm looking at you, castle projection show.

The projection show will hopefully happen sooner than later. They are needing to work out the logistics of how to conceal the projectors during the day, crowd management and how to theme the performance in the context of the land (why the castle is being enchanted, ect) and how to present it.

I'm planning on finally visiting this weekend, and I have a question about the early entry. I see the website says that early entry is for people who bought their tickets online - does that include annual passes purchased online?

I've been told both yes and no. The safe option would assume that it's only valid for passes purchased through the EZ Rez system for one-time use on the first visit.

In regards to opening day crowds, keep in mind as well: the land opened at 6:30 yesterday. That's a full hour than usual early entry, which must have helped greatly. In addition, I'm willing to bet that people just left as the day went along. Unlike UOR, these are just locals going in and out... back in Orlando the majority is on vacation, so it makes sense for them to stay.

But at the end of the day: Universal probably did everything possible to avoid terrible crowds and their crowd management tactics worked... today. Let's see how a weekend, and the summer months go for them. This is a long journey for them.

Has anyone noticed if they've changed the big sign to Potter on Barham yet? Last I saw it about a week ago it was still Fast and Furious. 

A few things, concerning the Early Entry for passholders I've always been told different things.  Some people said as long as you buy it online you'll be fine but others said no only if you purchased through EZ Rez.  I have the old Star Premium pass.  I took the chance and came in around 5am yesterday and they let me for the Early Entry.  There wasn't even a question about it.  They just scanned my pass and let me walk through.  I was really grateful I was able to see the Opening Ceremony.  However, I'm not sure if yesterday was just special because of the wristbands?  You could always try and see what happens?  If I risk it again on another day I'll report back.

As for people leaving early from being there in the morning, that included us!  Once the lines got too big to be able to even eat at Three Broomsticks or go to Honeydukes or anywhere we moved on.  (I heard it was a 2 hour wait to eat!)  I was there from opening until around noon?  We ate instead at Krusty Burger (under the Snape caricature, of course!) When we finally decided to leave the park around 2pm there were many other early morning people who were also exhausted and leaving.

I was sad warm Butterbeer did not debut yesterday.  I asked for some and they said not until it's cold enough like Winter.  It was cold enough yesterday!  However, we were proudly the first patrons to drink Firewhiskey!  (At 6:30am!)  I was surprised they served liquor that early but we took it!  We took shots of Firewhisky straight and then mixed with Strongbow and sipped while in line for Forbidden Journey.  We had another round later.  I never saw the Hogs Head too crowded.  I hope it stays that way.

I didn't realize that on USH Wait Times you can book your Timed Ticket entry?  I love that!  Has anyone tried it yet?  I'm so going to use that to plan lunch breaks in the future, although I hope the Three Broomsticks isn't always so ridiculously crowded.  Do you think that will be the norm? Too bad they don't offer wait times for everything within Hogsmeade.

Lastly, does anyone know if the exclusive limited edition grand opening merchandise will be around all weekend?  Is there any idea how much they have in stock or how quickly it's depleting?  I'm kinda tempted to get some more if it's still around. :)

A few things, concerning the Early Entry for passholders I've always been told different things.  Some people said as long as you buy it online you'll be fine but others said no only if you purchased through EZ Rez.  I have the old Star Premium pass.  I took the chance and came in around 5am yesterday and they let me for the Early Entry.  There wasn't even a question about it.  They just scanned my pass and let me walk through.  I was really grateful I was able to see the Opening Ceremony.  However, I'm not sure if yesterday was just special because of the wristbands?  You could always try and see what happens?  If I risk it again on another day I'll report back.

Apparently EZ Rez was not actually enforced that day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯