The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood | Page 208 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
FL based guy here. I appreciate what they are doing to your show building, but really wish they would either extend the rock work or paint a mural instead of the brick look. Same for UOR version.

Regarding the AP Previews does anyone know why they want people to check in 1 hour early?

The 1 hour early check in is for those who are activating their pass for the first time. There is a separate line for those who are using their pass for the first time.

Hello everyone. I attended the AP preview this morning. So I got there around 7:40 and there was a small group, maybe 50 people. As more people arrived, they let us in to the park at a side entrance, but made us stop to wait around the WaterWorld entrance. Slowly, they brought us further into the park. At around 8:05, they suddenly let us enter the land which was awesome. Nothing had a wait, and because they opened an hour before the scheduled appointment time, the crowds were very light. I definitely recommend getting there early for anyone going to any future events.

Hogsmeade opened around 10:30, so is that probaly going to happen all week? Have the AP previews, then open to the public? If so, yay!!

I want to go to WWoHP March 28 (Monday) and/ or 29th (Tuesday). Is one day better than the other for the technical rehearsal? What are the chances of not being able to get in to WWoHP at all? I'm thinking I would need to buy CA Resident Plus Annual Pass because it sounds like people with annual passes get in early. Any advice?

So they let regular guests into technical rehearsals at 10:30am, after 1.5 hours of an AP Preview. While I think this is great for regular guests, it's not much added value for an AP holder. Getting the "perk" of an AP Preview certainly has some value--less crowds, lower wait times--but if it's only for a 1.5 hour window, that doesn't seem to be all that great. I know I'm nit-picking here, but I think this is another indicator that Universal isn't really looking to build a large AP base. I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but I was surprised at the short duration for the AP Preview.

Well, the AP Preview lasted a little longer today (Sunday). The land wasn't open to regular guests until 12:30, so Annual Passholders had over 3 hours of exclusive preview time. That's definitely much better than Saturday's short preview window. I guess they really mean it when they say technical rehearsals are subject to change at any time.

When  I spoke to Universal on the phone before trying to ask how long will previews run they wouldn't give me a solid answer.  They only kept insisting that everyone would have the chance to go on both rides at least once.  The length will probably vary on the crowd size and efficiency.  Once they feel everyone has had a chance to  experience everything they'll open the doors to park guests.  Saturday probably just wrapped faster than Sunday.  Maybe more guests picked Sunday as their preview day and that's why it took longer?

Also, it seems like aside from the wall painting, everything's ready?  I was chatting with a TM (I love how friendly all these wizards are!) and another TM overheard us discussing Butterbeer and they asked if I had tried the warm Butterbeer yet.  I was excited to hear it was finally available!  Then I asked her if they had Firewhiskey yet and she said she thought so because everything should be here by now.  I didn't actually go to the Hogshead to confirm.  Has anyone tried the warm Butterbeer or Firewhiskey yet?

Anyway, I get the vibe that the area is supposed to be completely operational now and I'm guessing tech rehearsals should be more regular.  I'm thinking only the final week will have restrictions as they prepare for the last big events to kick-off the Grand Opening.  Here's the running list for now.  Have we learned anything more?

Mon 3/21: AP Preview 9am
Tues 3/22: AP Preview 9am
Wed 3/23: AP Preview 9am
Thurs-Mon 3/24-3/28: ??? Anything??
Tues 3/29: AP Preview 9am
Wed 3/30: AP Preview 9am
Thurs-Mon 3/31-4/4...??? Anything???
Tues 4/5 Evening Red Carpet Premiere
Weds  4/6 Media Day?
Thurs 4/7: Grand Opening!

When  I spoke to Universal on the phone before trying to ask how long will previews run they wouldn't give me a solid answer.  They only kept insisting that everyone would have the chance to go on both rides at least once.  The length will probably vary on the crowd size and efficiency.  Once they feel everyone has had a chance to  experience everything they'll open the doors to park guests.  Saturday probably just wrapped faster than Sunday.  Maybe more guests picked Sunday as their preview day and that's why it took longer?

Also, it seems like aside from the wall painting, everything's ready?  I was chatting with a TM (I love how friendly all these wizards are!) and another TM overheard us discussing Butterbeer and they asked if I had tried the warm Butterbeer yet.  I was excited to hear it was finally available!  Then I asked her if they had Firewhiskey yet and she said she thought so because everything should be here by now.  I didn't actually go to the Hogshead to confirm.  Has anyone tried the warm Butterbeer or Firewhiskey yet?

Anyway, I get the vibe that the area is supposed to be completely operational now and I'm guessing tech rehearsals should be more regular.  I'm thinking only the final week will have restrictions as they prepare for the last big events to kick-off the Grand Opening.  Here's the running list for now.  Have we learned anything more?

I went to the preview on Sunday and asked the bartender again (first time was in February) if they had any specialty drinks like the ones they had in the Orlando location. He said no and that each location might have different drinks. I asked if they had any specialty drinks for this location and he only pointed out the specialty brews. Perhaps I should've asked if they specifically had Firewhiskey? He seemed a little annoyed when I inquired in the first place, perhaps he'd been asked plenty of times before :p I plan to go again on Wednesday after the AP previews and will inquire on warm butterbeer.

I want to go to WWoHP March 28 (Monday) and/ or 29th (Tuesday). Is one day better than the other for the technical rehearsal? What are the chances of not being able to get in to WWoHP at all? I'm thinking I would need to buy CA Resident Plus Annual Pass because it sounds like people with annual passes get in early. Any advice?

The 29th is an Annual Pass preview date.  If you are purchasing a new annual pass, just arrive early for registration and utilize that date to get in with minimal crowds.  I can imagine the public will be allowed inside after the AP preview and would expect a madhouse with Spring Break in full effect.

Welcome to the forums! :)

I went to the preview on Sunday and asked the bartender again (first time was in February) if they had any specialty drinks like the ones they had in the Orlando location. He said no and that each location might have different drinks. I asked if they had any specialty drinks for this location and he only pointed out the specialty brews. Perhaps I should've asked if they specifically had Firewhiskey? He seemed a little annoyed when I inquired in the first place, perhaps he'd been asked plenty of times before :p I plan to go again on Wednesday after the AP previews and will inquire on warm butterbeer.

Yeah, I think you can't ask for a specialty drink by name but they can mix something up for you if you break it down for them.  They can't officially sell the specialty cocktail but they're a working bar and have the ingredients.  Instead of requesting a "Deathly Hallows" or a "Triple" you can ask for a Strongbow + Hogs Head + Guinness.  Firewhiskey is the only thing by name we should be able to request but that's straight liquour, not a cocktail. However, in theory you should be able to ask for Firewhiskey and Strongbow.  We were able to get an Apple Jack (Jack Daniels & Strongbow Cider) by name but that's not an HP themed drink.

I did ask students around Hogwarts for the recipe for Polyjuice Potion but they laughed and avoided answering me.  The TM said he'd tell me when I come back but couldn't find him again.  I later mentioned to the bartender that the students wouldn't tell me the recipe and they also laughed it off.  They keep blaming one of the media events for leaking unofficial drinks they're not allowed to sell.  I just wish I knew the mixology so I could work my way around ordering it!

So I just noticed on Universal's Wait Times page that under the two HP attractions it said "Coming Soon" this morning during Passholder previews and then switched to actual time afterwards.  [HASHTAG]#Potterwatch[/HASHTAG] had also just revealed that the area opened up to park guests.  I guess this will be a good indicator of tech rehearsals running daily if no one is around to post about it.

Reactions: BernardMesa
Wait times had been listed between 20 and 30 minutes most of the day today each time I checked, until at some point between 4 (my previously check) and 7 PM (my most recent check), it jumped to 180 minutes.  What the heck, did everyone just rush there to get one more ride before park closing at 8, or is something else going on?

I noticed that too!  I've never seen it that high!  Is it really true?  I need someone on [HASHTAG]#Potterwatch[/HASHTAG] to post a pic!  I wonder if they are using the full queue?!

Knowing it's spring break week I've been keeping an eye on it just to see, and I haven't seen it anywhere that high either.  Even on the first days of tech rehearsals, I think I only saw it get to 90 minutes or a little more.  Wonder if there is a problem.  Was debating between driving down either Thursday or next Tuesday, but wanted to see what crowds were like this week, plus a little iffy on what might be up on Thursday.  Right now it looks fine, but there could be an event we don't know about, or Uni might use the few days in between pass previews to fix some things up before opening day (leaving the land closed).  Do rides usually soft open all the way up until official opening?  Tuesday might be the safer bet since it's a AP preview day and is more likely to be open to the public after that, but if there is a chance for it to be available all day Thursday to gen public, that would be great.  Choices, choices.....

I was there early this morning and they were filming a special for E! and even saw Alan Gilmore walking and on camera!  They were filming inside of Hog's Head at one point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait times had been listed between 20 and 30 minutes most of the day today each time I checked, until at some point between 4 (my previously check) and 7 PM (my most recent check), it jumped to 180 minutes.  What the heck, did everyone just rush there to get one more ride before park closing at 8, or is something else going on?

Sounds like they wanted to scare people off from going in to clear the park faster.

Is this typical? Is it even possible? Can they falsify wait times in order to discourage people from getting in line?

Yes. Remember that wait times are labeled as estimates, allowing the park to basically get away with whatever they want. As long as the wait does not exceed what is posted, the park is in the clear. Usually when a ride breaks down or something happens to severly impact capacity while the ride still possesses a steady queue, an announcement comes over from a TM informing guests that their wait may be longer than anticipated. (since a guest has entered thinking a 30 min wait, only for it to be 45 min)

I remember that on the IU podcasts they also stated that USJ does this kind of thing all the time. (falsify wait times)

Reactions: Aaron