This Just In - Current USH Happenings | Page 97 | Inside Universal Forums

This Just In - Current USH Happenings

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Great!!! Where is it documented? What is the livable wage for LA area employees? Not trying to get on you. But this is the point I am making. Livable wage is just thrown out there and it is hard to get an answer. Remember when the state began raising minimum wage to $15 and that was going to help. In the end it raised prices all around becaus the whole supply chain got raises also. Now we are going towards $20 an hour, and guess what, so does everyone else in the supply chain. Soon $20 won't be enought. LA City wants certain hotel workers to get $25 an hour. Great, now hotel prices go up and no one stays at certain hotels.

What's even the argument you're trying to make here? That because a specific number can't be pinned down for you specifically, we should... what? Do nothing? The cost of everything will rise if we raise pay for people to live with dignity, and we just can't have that, even though it's not people's fault, so let's keep everything the way it is and let more and more people keep drowning and good luck to whoever makes it...?

All I know is the cost of living keeps going up but the living wage hasn't caught up to its pace.

Just speaking from my Florida experience.,.. A 1-bedroom apartment in Orlando in 2008 was $700 with a minimum wage of about $7. That same apartment was $1800 in 2021 with the minimum wage only going up a $1.25. At least now the minimum wage is starting to go up.

Point is, any of us can throw any type of number for a livable wage - but unless something is, at the minimum, done about the issues (and in most cases, predatory practices) of housing and rent; this is all moot.
This is the real answer man. Imagine a world where we can all do a job and get paid for it, be able to actually live outside of our jobs and start focusing on the world.

For the people who say prices will go up because of “costs” the costs are going up regardless what the hell they wanna pay us.

All I know is the cost of living keeps going up but the living wage hasn't caught up to its pace.

Just speaking from my Florida experience.,.. A 1-bedroom apartment in Orlando in 2008 was $700 with a minimum wage of about $7. That same apartment was $1800 in 2021 with the minimum wage only going up a $1.25. At least now the minimum wage is starting to go up.

Point is, any of us can throw any type of number for a livable wage - but unless something is, at the minimum, done about the issues (and in most cases, predatory practices) of housing and rent; this is all moot.

Exactly right. Wages are not matching inflation, let alone the absurd rise in cost of housing, renting or owning.

Lots of data show how wages have not kept up pace, and this all comes down to predatory companies, who will always put profit over people. We are just their chess pieces, disposable, and dispensable in their minds.

It’s definitely not cheap to live in SoCal. Of course everyone’s situation is different depending on where you live and how many are in your household but I’ll throw out some numbers. I live in the San Gabriel Valley.

From 2003-2006, my sister and I rented a 2 bed/2 bath apartment for $1450-1650/mo (went up $100/mo every year). Living expenses were about $3000/mo. We’d visit our parents several times a week to have dinner with them so that helped out on food costs.

Now, with mortgage, property tax, homeowners insurance and food, living expenses are about $6000/mo for my family of five and that’s with no car payments. In CA, all K-12 students get free breakfast and lunch so that definitely helps out. We eat out maybe 2-3 times on the weekends. The Knott’s dining plan definitely helps as well. Haha.

I think everyone agrees cost of living expenses in SoCal are unavoidably higher than many other areas you could conceivably live in this country. However, all the theme parks situated here still need labor, and that labor clearly cannot afford to make ends meet with the current paltry wage being offered. At some point, something will have to give - either the parks will need to raise wages to attract employees, or they will slowly but surely lose their workforce until they hit critical understaffing (which is arguably already being felt).

Last edited:
A livable wage is being able to safely pay for the necessities in life without having to choose between which one of them, be it housing, transportation, food, etc., can be gone without as none of them can safely be gone without.

If you think a life like that is unfair to your personal bank account, then instead of asking people for documentation on whether a livable wage, be it $25 an hour or more, is fair maybe you should be asking yourself why seeing people able to afford to live with dignity is such a difficult topic to comprehend cause I can safely say it should not be.

Now, finally, please everyone if this going to be a talking point let’s remember to handle this topic humanely and with grace, thank you.
Frankenstein said it was documented. All I was asking is where it is documented, that's all. My argument is and will continue to be that "living wage" is a phrase thrown out there that no one can define. Same as "affordable housing."

• Angry
Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
Frankenstein said it was documented. All I was asking is where it is documented, that's all. My argument is and will continue to be that "living wage" is a phrase thrown out there that no one can define. Same as "affordable housing."
It actually seems like multiple posters have defined what a living wage is. So, your argument is both incorrect and rather pointless.

I literally explained it in my response to you what exactly a livable wage is, affordable housing is the exact same thing, and I echo Jake’s sentiment on that. Personally speaking if you’re simply looking to make a bad faith argument regarding people’s rights to live a dignified life I’d seriously reconsider that.

Derailing the conversation, and while not directly USH related, but the new Raising Caines that is more or less just down the street from USH (just north of the Lankershim/Vineland intersection) is looking fairly complete. Interestingly, it appears there won't be any indoor dining at all... just walk up windows and a patio, in addition to a drive through.

Went to ZJU for Dark Dark Ride Ride (which is basically across the street) and asked them about it, and they said it was supposed to be open already.

Derailing the conversation, and while not directly USH related, but the new Raising Caines that is more or less just down the street from USH (just north of the Lankershim/Vineland intersection) is looking fairly complete. Interestingly, it appears there won't be any indoor dining at all... just walk up windows and a patio, in addition to a drive through.

Went to ZJU for Dark Dark Ride Ride (which is basically across the street) and asked them about it, and they said it was supposed to be open already.

I guess this was built during the Covid era so they wouldn’t have to worry about potential indoor dining restrictions happening again. Interesting there’s no indoor seating.

I had no idea they were opening up another Raising Cane’s around the Burbank-ish area. For a second I thought you were talking about the one that opened in Burbank already a year or two ago.

Yes, it opens on April 2, 2024. No indoor dining. Only drive thru and some outdoor dining. According to their website, starting wage is $16/hr. Which is wrong because I believe, and I may be wrong, minimum wage in LA City is $16.90/hr? Could be a corporate posting and they didn't put the right amount for the N. Hollywood location.

I had no idea they were opening up another Raising Cane’s around the Burbank-ish area. For a second I thought you were talking about the one that opened in Burbank already a year or two ago.

Yeah, I think it's a bit odd they're opening another one so (relatively) close to the one they already have. But that Burbank one is often pretty mobbed, so maybe this will relieve it a bit. And it's nice that it's pretty close to USH.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't put one more in the Valencia area yet... could use one near Magic Mountain

Reactions: Freak
Yeah, I think it's a bit odd they're opening another one so (relatively) close to the one they already have. But that Burbank one is often pretty mobbed, so maybe this will relieve it a bit. And it's nice that it's pretty close to USH.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't put one more in the Valencia area yet... could use one near Magic Mountain
Everyone is going to Raising Cane’s but there’s a really good smash burger place that is seemingly overlooked that’s down the street from USH. It’s called Easy Street. It’s good stuff. It’s my go-to pre-USH eatery.

And yeah if there’s one place Valencia needs, it’s a Raising Cane’s. That would be a PRIME spot for one.

Reactions: Rideguy70
I guess this was built during the Covid era so they wouldn’t have to worry about potential indoor dining restrictions happening again. Interesting there’s no indoor seating.

There’s a Chik-Fil-A nearby that operates the same way, and it was opened pre-COVID. I think it’s sometimes more efficient for there places to just churn people out in a drive thru; I also imagine operation costs are less without a dining room to manage and maintain. Would be nice if those costs they save went to wages!

There’s a Chik-Fil-A nearby that operates the same way, and it was opened pre-COVID. I think it’s sometimes more efficient for there places to just churn people out in a drive thru; I also imagine operation costs are less without a dining room to manage and maintain. Would be nice if those costs they save went to wages!
Canes drive thru is faster than like most places!

What is a livable wage? Please give a specific amount. Not an answer that says someone can afford rent and food and have money left over. A livable wage is just a statement.
You will never have a specific amount because it depends on cost of living. This is a very local question and needs to be answered at a local level and minimum wage needs to be also local.

A livable wage would largely be predicated on the costs and economics of the areas the workers live. A living wage in NYC or LA is far different than a living wage in Beckley WV. It's actually very complicated.
What you said.

Reactions: BillM and Mad Dog