Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Thrill Coaster at USH?

Oct 12, 2009
East Central Florida
Is there a good reason that they couldn’t put a huge super coaster in this area? I know that it is a very steep cliff like environment but that wouldn’t matter to a coaster that always has longer and shorter supports. It could follow the terrain or not follow the terrain to my way of thinking.

zYuqczW.jpg

Is there a good reason that they couldn’t put a huge super coaster in this area? I know that it is a very steep cliff like environment but that wouldn’t matter to a coaster that always has longer and shorter supports. It could follow the terrain or not follow the terrain to my way of thinking.

zYuqczW.jpg

The first thing that springs to mind is that it would ruin sight lines for filming.

The first thing that springs to mind is that it would ruin sight lines for filming.

Perhaps, but it is such a waste of space and a mega coaster would do wonders for that park. And as somewhat stated, dropping large green screens when necessary would make most of the backlot still very useable.... they do have the spire of Hogwarts and the show building sitting over the edge of part of that cliff already.

zYuqczW.jpg

That's a lot of land that could be put for better uses..

Two biggest things:

Sight lines for filmmaking, as already indicated, but more importantly... noise. They already have had to historically shut down Horror Nights attractions early depending on location to avoid upsetting their neighbors.

Two biggest things:

Sight lines for filmmaking, as already indicated, but more importantly... noise. They already have had to historically shut down Horror Nights attractions early depending on location to avoid upsetting their neighbors.

How early have they had to shut down HHN attractions?

It was something like 11:30pm on week nights, 12 midnight on weekends.

Well then, it seems that as long as a coaster closes at 9pm then all would be fine. I am surprised that the park even stays open any later than that as a general rule. They could also schedule shutdowns to coincide with exterior film production if necessary.

As much as I'd love to see something like this. I don't think we'll ever get a big coaster like this, even if we do get another park. If it ever did happen, it would likely have to take place inside of citywalk, somehow. That way the tracks and screams will be blocked by the tall building structures.

The park definitely needs a huge coaster since it is sorely lacking one.

They could create a multi-level building to enclose the coaster. The Mummy building is like one-story tall so the track can't travel above and below itself to add length. We need something like the Space Mountain and Tron showbuildings!

Tron is way too short for the space it takes up. However, something that lasts as long as Space Mountain but is far more intense would be awesome. It is definitely possible to do intense coasters indoors. Just look at Flight of Fear at Kings Island.

This will never happen. Any coaster will have heavy noise restrictions, scream guards, or built entirely indoors at this property. To go further, these areas on the lot are filled with Oak Trees which are protected in the state of California...which means they cannot be touched unless they pose a danger to humans.

I think they could get away with a Hollywood Dream style coaster (Hollywood Dream – The Ride - Wikipedia) which boards somewhere on Universal Boulevard and then goes out and back in and around City Walk (as @k_peek_2000 suggested)

That would surely minimise any sound issues and space and trees would not be an issue. It's the only way I see them being able to build an outdoor thrill coaster.

Personally I'd take something highly themed like The Mummy or an indoor Velociraptor coaster over an outside bare bones thrill coaster.