Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024) | Page 55 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would love to poll the GP over Splash and see how many knew of the storyline in the old ride and what it was. I personally never really got it myself. It was a fun ride with great scenes, but the SL for sure was not why I went on it or even fully got.
Whether or not you were fully conscious of the exact plot, I would wager you certainly picked up on the sense of increasing danger and tension (via the music, lighting, and dialogue) as we approached the drop.

I think the point some of us have been making is that there were built-in story and tone justifications for the drop that -- unless we hear differently -- at this juncture do not appear to be present in the kind of story being told for Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Wait, there was justification for the drops? The last thing I remember was a rabbit about to get cooked and someone asking me where my laughing place is or something than dropping. There was nothing tell me big drop ahead, nothing showing brer rabbit escaping just him about to be cooked and then dropping. I think we are putting too much emphasis on a storyline or justification for drops as long as it is entertaining and fun, I couldn't care less why we are doing anything to be honest.

Wait, there was justification for the drops? The last thing I remember was a rabbit about to get cooked and someone asking me where my laughing place is or something than dropping. There was nothing tell me big drop ahead, nothing showing brer rabbit escaping just him about to be cooked and then dropping. I think we are putting too much emphasis on a storyline or justification for drops as long as it is entertaining and fun, I couldn't care less why we are doing anything to be honest.
Brer Rabbit Keeps Yelling "dont throw me in the briar patch" As you go up the lift hill

So yep the story matches the OG story and Movie, it's why they made the ride. Like how TOT was deigned with the story in mind

Edit: Brer Rabbit Tricks Brer Fox making him think his worst nightmare would be to thrown into the briar patch

Last edited:
Agreed, this was me, he was being cooked then drop. Again, it was a fun ride, but I would be curious from a GP standpoint what they got from the SL. I also won't pre-judge a ride that no one has ridden or really know what leads up to the drop. I think from a GP standpoint it will be similar of if you liked it before you still like it and if you didn't, you still won't. It will attract more people when it opens because everyone likes a Princess IP on a ride. Well everyone as in the GP.

Reactions: jarmor
Brer Rabbit Keeps Yelling "dont throw me in the briar patch" As you go up the lift hill

So yep the story matches the OG story and Movie, it's why they made the ride. Like how TOT was deigned with the story in mind
wait, so we go from him being cooked to fearing being thrown in the briar patch lol :dizzy:!?! like, what happen lol was he too tough to cook? Fox had a come to Jesus moment and turned vegan lol but remained inhumane?

wait, so we go from him being cooked to fearing being thrown in the briar patch lol :dizzy:!?! like, what happen lol was he too tough to cook? Fox had a come to Jesus moment and turned vegan lol but remained inhumane?
He Tricks him.....he always does. That's what the story's are about Brer Rabbit gets in trouble and talks his way out

Reactions: jarmor

Pertinent section would start at around 7:20 in that video.

We see Brer Rabbit captured, and watch how the entire tone of the ride changes as we advance towards and up the lift hill. Listen to the music, the sound effects (thunder, bats), and the dialogue.

Nobody's saying you (or the general public) came off the ride with the ability to name every dramatic beat in the ride, but it was 100% designed for you to feel a shift into a darker, more conflict-filled tone around the big drop. Without Facilier, I struggle to see where any conflict might come from in Bayou Adventure.

That doesn't mean the ride won't be good! It does mean it might (might!) not feel as cohesive and organic as what it replaced.

Seeing the drop from the outside is the set-up. It tells you "There is going to be a big thrill at some point in the ride." You twist and turn through show scenes, the ride psyches you out with larger lifthills into smaller drops and circling the outside of the mountain to tell you how high you are.

As time goes on the drops get larger and more thrilling. Then after everything, the jolly tone disappears. Vultures appear above you, signs are posted everywhere saying "Turn Back Now! Beware!", the bright and fun ride has now turned shadowy and forboding, the brightest light now is the shine of daylight through the pitch dark cave. The sunlight illuminates the lift hill, which is long, steep, and loud. The music has transitioned from fun bouncy Disney music into a wave of strings and foreboding choir parts. This is the big drop, and the ride forces you to sit with that anticipation for a loooooong time.

Without any actual Brer Rabbit/Fox/Bear storytelling or lines, the ride clearly is designed to invoke fear and tension. That's like... the primary goal of the entire ride.

Last edited:
Whoever said PATF had no memorable music is so wrong. "Down in New Orleans," "Almost There," "Friends on the Other Side," and "Dig a Little Deeper" would've all made a great soundtrack to the ride if they had gone the movie story route.

And if people didn't know them, they would've got to know them. Hell, the only reason 95% of us even know Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah is its inclusion in Splash Mountain.

The drop into the Laughing Place mimics a slide down a rabbit hole, which is why it has the little bunny hop.

The final drop mimics Brer Fox throwing Brer Rabbit into the briar patch from the Tar Baby story. Brer Rabbit even says “Please, whatever you do, please don’t throw me into that briar patch.”

I always thought the drops were thematically on point and necessary to the story Splash told. I also think it’ll be fairly easy to use those same tricks in the redo, simply by playing with the story’s “terrain.”

Whoever said PATF had no memorable music is so wrong. "Down in New Orleans," "Almost There," "Friends on the Other Side," and "Dig a Little Deeper" would've all made a great soundtrack to the ride if they had gone the movie story route.

And if people didn't know them, they would've got to know them. Hell, the only reason 95% of us even know Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah is its inclusion in Splash Mountain.
The music in PaTF is good, but it's really only Almost There and FotOS that have lasted in cultural memory from my vantage point.

And Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah became a cultural phrase far outside of Song of the South, and I believe before Splash as well. It was used just about as much as "When You Wish Upon a Star" is today in branding, so a lot haha. I don't think many people know the words to the "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place" song. The PatF songs will probably fill the latter role for most.

What's funny is that they still play Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah at the TTC lol

I thought they would get rid of all references
The song is unlikely to go anywhere. It’s one of Disney’s ubiquitous catalogue, like “Whistle While You Work,” and “Someday My Prince Will Come,” where most people know the song while not knowing the source. While the origins are problematic, the song itself doesn’t have anything offensive in its lyrics.

It’s not like they’re playing, “What Made the Red Man Red.”

The song is unlikely to go anywhere. It’s one of Disney’s ubiquitous catalogue, like “Whistle While You Work,” and “Someday My Prince Will Come,” where most people know the song while not knowing the source. While the origins are problematic, the song itself doesn’t have anything offensive in its lyrics.

Zipadee Doo Dah was removed from the entrance plaza music loop. It had been the first song on the loop, but was removed at the same time Splash closed. Laughin' Place is still in the loop. I suspect since Zipadee is written in a style that is a stereotype it had to go, while Laughin' Place is not (also Laughin' Place would be harder to edit out, while where Zipadee was the loop now just abruptly starts with a fade in of Winnie the Pooh). The music loop was made as one continuous medley and was made for Tokyo.

They made a pretty big deal about removing any reference, including cutting it from the Festival of Fantasy parade. It just stands out how outdated the TTC is to me now.

Reactions: GA-MBIT