Tipping drivers? | Inside Universal Forums

Tipping drivers?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 11, 2016
I know how much to tip housekeepers, servers, etc. But, I have no clue how much to tip a driver? We booked a car service airport to hotel/hotel to airport. I'm guessing I tip each leg of the journey? Like I learned a few years ago to tip each day for housekeeping since you might have a different housekeeper your last day than all the other days.
Thanks for helping out. I have never used a car service before, always drove to destination, or rented a car.

Look at your receipt, does it note a gratuity? If so, don't worry about it besides tipping for above and beyond service. If not, I'd say a flat 20% is always a good motto.

Reactions: JoeCamel
While on the subject of tipping, people who use the pedi cabs at the Universal Resort Hotels, how much do you tip? Since there's no formal charge, the tip should be fairly large to be fair compensation. I don't use them since I like to walk the paths, but I was curious how much people are tipping.

Look at your receipt, does it note a gratuity? If so, don't worry about it besides tipping for above and beyond service. If not, I'd say a flat 20% is always a good motto.

Tip not included. Taxes, tolls, and grocery stop included, but no tip according to the guy I booked with.
Thanks, kinda on topic.
Does anyone know if servers in Florida are paid below minimum wage? In Texas they pay the servers something like $2.50 an hour on the assumption they will make it up in tips. I was horrified to find that out, makes me feel like I have to tip really good even with bad service.

Tip not included. Taxes, tolls, and grocery stop included, but no tip according to the guy I booked with.
Thanks, kinda on topic.
Does anyone know if servers in Florida are paid below minimum wage? In Texas they pay the servers something like $2.50 an hour on the assumption they will make it up in tips. I was horrified to find that out, makes me feel like I have to tip really good even with bad service.

Always tip. Always.

Always tip. Always.

I do, I try and tip higher in resort areas. I know a lot of families get to Disney and Universal on a shoe string that doesn't leave a lot of room for tips, not OK with me, but we all know it happens. I also see staff being treated much worse in resort restaurants, or theme park restaurants. People are hot, tired, and on edge from cranky kids, and long lines. They take it out on the staff, again NOT OK with me, but we know it happens. I work really hard at treating staff very well, and teach my kids to kill the staff with kindness. If they see a stressed out employee that isn't being as nice it's time to turn on the charm and being extra nice to them. People are just so mean, and rarely say thank you to employees.
My mom worked as a housekeeper at the SeaTac airport area in Seattle. As a recently single mom of 2 little kids she worked long hard hours. She also worked as a server from time to time. She instilled in me the need to TIP.
On Tipping, I read that people from other countries tend to not tip because it isn't as common outside of the US, is that true? Or urban legend?

While on the subject of tipping, people who use the pedi cabs at the Universal Resort Hotels, how much do you tip? Since there's no formal charge, the tip should be fairly large to be fair compensation. I don't use them since I like to walk the paths, but I was curious how much people are tipping.

I hear of $5 per person $10 if it is really hot out. It depends on which hotel also. $5 to the HR and $10 to Portofino I would think is fair

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
On Tipping, I read that people from other countries tend to not tip because it isn't as common outside of the US, is that true? Or urban legend?
Tipping is not such a big 'automatic' thing elsewhere, but I always tip 15% as a minimum when in The US as I appreciate that the wages are set to include this. From being in the states so much, it's actually rubbed off on me in that I now do it automatically in the UK too. Sadly, I know that a lot of other Brits don't do this and I have experienced that almost 'rolling of the eyes' moment when we've spoken to our Us server for the first time, who is almost disappointed that they probably won't get a tip at the end of our meal by serving us.

Thanks, kinda on topic.
I'm not an expert, so if anybody knows differently, please correct me, but I believe it goes like this: each state has a set minimum wage for restaurant servers, which the employer is required to pay regardless of tips (this is very low). Then you have the regular minimum wage. If the restaurant minimum+tips doesn't equal the regular minimum, then at the end of a pay period, the employer must reimburse the difference. But, that said, if the employer has to keep do this the server will most likely be let go.

Soft openings this month.

I hear of $5 per person $10 if it is really hot out. It depends on which hotel also. $5 to the HR and $10 to Portofino I would think is fair

I do the $5 / $10 rule for 2 people, if you squish a third (or more) I tend to give a few extra doll hairs. One time, after a REALLY long day at the park, we got a ride back to CBBR and tipped the guy $15 because of that super long hill at the end that leads to the bridge (the guy was exhausted and panting after). Another time the girl couldn't make it up the hill so we got out halfway up and tipped like $12 or so.