Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tips for visiting Universal Studios on Dec 30th?

Jun 23, 2015
I would never have voluntarily chosen to go on this day, but our family bought Gold Passes at Universal Hollywood from Costco for 2018, and the first use for the passes needs to be no later than Dec. 31st (2017), and there's just no other day we can all make it besides Sat, Dec 30th (probably one of the worst days of the year to visit).

I already know that it's best to arrive extra early, but what are some other strategies for dealing with the crowds? Would it be better to avoid the parking garages entirely, and instead take the Metro Red Line and walk up the hill instead of waiting for the shuttle tram?

I think we'd like to: take the studio tram tour, walk around Hogsmeade and the Harry Potter ride, see the holiday decorations and some shows if possible. The nighttime show on Hogwarts Castle is also something we'd like to see, but not a deal breaker. We'd be willing to exit the park in the afternoon and come back for the nighttime show, but I'm afraid the park might close because it is at capacity.

I'd appreciate any general or specific advice on how to best manage visiting that day. Thanks in advance!

Keep in mind that Universal Studios Hollywood as a whole is half a day. So if you arrive fairly early in the morning, you might get into the attractions earlier without going through the long lines the people might pile up when most of them would arrive in the afternoon. Despicable Me ride is notorious for long lines so I suggest you go there the moment it opens. Then start with the big ones such as Harry Potter, the Studio Tour, and the Lower Lot attractions where it has Jurassic Park, Transformers, and the Mummy ride. Go to Transformers first if you're willing to go on a simulator ride (and because the lines are longer for it), then Jurassic Park (the second slowest), and the Mummy (lines move very fast). You have to check the Universal Studios Hollywood time opening app if you download it. If you don't want to wait for these attractions and just want to get on as fast as you can, there's a single rider that if you and your family are willing to separate and wait for each other.

You could do a bunch of stuff in the City Walk after you're done or you want to go to the same attractions all over and over again. But if you arrive early, it's a half a day park, not even the Studio Tour can make up for it. Morning is the best thing, otherwise, by the afternoon or soon, it's gonna get filled up. Get in line as fast as possible or good luck waiting in line that might take almost half the time as finishing a two-hour movie.

Thanks so much for the advice, Paulio. We've actually been pass holders for 2 years out of about the last three and a half, so we don't have any rush to get on rides like Despicable Me or Transformers, which we've been on many times. Especially if the park is super, super busy.

I think our top priorities would be the holiday entertainment and decorations, Studio tram tour, The Wizarding World, and the nighttime Harry Potter show. We can always come back for the other stuff anytime the rest of the year with our gold passes.