Tom Sawyer Island | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Tom Sawyer Island

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
ADA doesn't apply to many Disney attractions that opened with the park anyway. They're Grandfathered. It's the reason why Pan is still not ADA accessible.

Correct, and while all theme park employees and most fans know that a lot of guests who it affects do not. A great example of that is when Universal started giving return times instead of unlimited express to guests who went into guest services a lot of the greeters started getting screamed out. My favorite is the complaint "What do you mean I have to wait an hour? What am I supposed to do with this kid for an hour?" It just irritates me on so many levels, be it "This kid" is your kid, treat him with respect. Or maybe the ever popular, everyone else is waiting an hour as well.

Anyway, I got a bit off track. ADA gets invoked a lot. And people think they are entitled to things they are not quite often. So when an issue comes up (light people getting hurt) it just adds another nail in the coffin.

PS, here's a fun story about people getting put out of buisness due to ADA even though they have done nothing wrong. Out in CA there is one lawyer who takes vacations to small towns, and when he can't get in any of the 50 year old buildings he sends them letters demanding a payment or he'll sue them. Since he's a lawyer it only costs him filing fees. It's crazy. http://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/ada-attorney-forces-out-small-business-pollock/

Correct, and while all theme park employees and most fans know that a lot of guests who it affects do not. A great example of that is when Universal started giving return times instead of unlimited express to guests who went into guest services a lot of the greeters started getting screamed out. My favorite is the complaint "What do you mean I have to wait an hour? What am I supposed to do with this kid for an hour?" It just irritates me on so many levels, be it "This kid" is your kid, treat him with respect. Or maybe the ever popular, everyone else is waiting an hour as well.

Anyway, I got a bit off track. ADA gets invoked a lot. And people think they are entitled to things they are not quite often. So when an issue comes up (light people getting hurt) it just adds another nail in the coffin.

PS, here's a fun story about people getting put out of buisness due to ADA even though they have done nothing wrong. Out in CA there is one lawyer who takes vacations to small towns, and when he can't get in any of the 50 year old buildings he sends them letters demanding a payment or he'll sue them. Since he's a lawyer it only costs him filing fees. It's crazy. http://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/ada-attorney-forces-out-small-business-pollock/

What is Pan?!?

Oh I agree, my son has a heart condition and truly cannot be in the sun very long. Yes, you would think theme parks is not the best environment for him, but developmentally it has actually helped him a ton and fixed one of his conditions (he didn't know anything existed on his right side and would never look that way). So we want to allow him to go and experience it like any other kid, but there are limitations and we are well aware of these. We know there are going to be places we can't go (Swiss Family Robinson) and we are fine with that. Like I said, it didn't bother us that we knew we couldn't wheel him around the entire island, it doesn't make sense for that type of environment to be ADA accessible. But wow, we get behind some families in the handicapped line and they think they are all that and should get whatever they want. It frustrates me because it is people like that that give handicapped people a bad name and it is also people like that cause stupid rules. And what amazes me, is we never expect to get on the ride once inside the building right away or anything. I am fine with waiting, as long as not out in the heat. So when the cast member says it will be a minute, I am always pleasant and nice. But those cast members always turn around and do the nicest things for us. So I always tell people you get more with niceness. They don't have to give us front row for small world (and we do not ask), but they do. They don't have to board us as soon as we are ready, but they do. The cast members are always so friendly and it drives me crazy when people are rude to them and for stupid crap. On the flip side, some parents just don't get it. We used to have to use the ramp to get on the monorail because we had a car battery, vent, suction machine, etc making our stroller much heavier to pick up than a normal stroller. We always had issues with people going, well their stroller can be in the handicapped area why can't ours. It is one of the reasons we stopped using the monorail and always use the boat. We don't have to worry about anything on the boat. I would gladly wait in any line you wanted me to wait in and have healthy child vs. get the access we get with a not healthy child.

As for the Uni thing, yeah, we still have GAP passes, not sure why, but they have always given them to us. We never asked, we showed them our son, gave them some of his conditions and they gave them to us. One guy at customer service said that we would be grandfathered into it, but I know we got them well after they started the red cards. If we had the red cards that would be fine with us. Get the return time and then go ride something with a short line (Disaster, Twister, etc.), go get something to eat, or just sit in air conditioning somewhere. The passes are not to skip the lines, the passes are to allow children and adults who physically cannot wait in the sun or long lines be able to still enjoy the rides. I am thankful for what the parks do give us and never ask for more. I wouldn't be able to go at all and I know this, so I don't ever complain about what we get. My only complaint is the employees are never consistent at Uni. One guest services/ticket person will do one thing and the other will do a completely different thing.

What is Pan?!?

Oh I agree, my son has a heart condition and truly cannot be in the sun very long. Yes, you would think theme parks is not the best environment for him, but developmentally it has actually helped him a ton and fixed one of his conditions (he didn't know anything existed on his right side and would never look that way). So we want to allow him to go and experience it like any other kid, but there are limitations and we are well aware of these. We know there are going to be places we can't go (Swiss Family Robinson) and we are fine with that. Like I said, it didn't bother us that we knew we couldn't wheel him around the entire island, it doesn't make sense for that type of environment to be ADA accessible. But wow, we get behind some families in the handicapped line and they think they are all that and should get whatever they want. It frustrates me because it is people like that that give handicapped people a bad name and it is also people like that cause stupid rules. And what amazes me, is we never expect to get on the ride once inside the building right away or anything. I am fine with waiting, as long as not out in the heat. So when the cast member says it will be a minute, I am always pleasant and nice. But those cast members always turn around and do the nicest things for us. So I always tell people you get more with niceness. They don't have to give us front row for small world (and we do not ask), but they do. They don't have to board us as soon as we are ready, but they do. The cast members are always so friendly and it drives me crazy when people are rude to them and for stupid crap. On the flip side, some parents just don't get it. We used to have to use the ramp to get on the monorail because we had a car battery, vent, suction machine, etc making our stroller much heavier to pick up than a normal stroller. We always had issues with people going, well their stroller can be in the handicapped area why can't ours. It is one of the reasons we stopped using the monorail and always use the boat. We don't have to worry about anything on the boat. I would gladly wait in any line you wanted me to wait in and have healthy child vs. get the access we get with a not healthy child.

As for the Uni thing, yeah, we still have GAP passes, not sure why, but they have always given them to us. We never asked, we showed them our son, gave them some of his conditions and they gave them to us. One guy at customer service said that we would be grandfathered into it, but I know we got them well after they started the red cards. If we had the red cards that would be fine with us. Get the return time and then go ride something with a short line (Disaster, Twister, etc.), go get something to eat, or just sit in air conditioning somewhere. The passes are not to skip the lines, the passes are to allow children and adults who physically cannot wait in the sun or long lines be able to still enjoy the rides. I am thankful for what the parks do give us and never ask for more. I wouldn't be able to go at all and I know this, so I don't ever complain about what we get. My only complaint is the employees are never consistent at Uni. One guest services/ticket person will do one thing and the other will do a completely different thing.

When they go to issue them you might be in the system as an exception to the red cards since from the sounds of things your clearly not scamming the system.

Pan interestingly doesn't get a whole lot of ADA complaints because they are one of the older attractions that uses an alternative entrance policy.

When they go to issue them you might be in the system as an exception to the red cards since from the sounds of things your clearly not scamming the system.

Pan interestingly doesn't get a whole lot of ADA complaints because they are one of the older attractions that uses an alternative entrance policy.

Peter Pan? Trying to figure out what Pan is, can't think of anything...

Last edited:
Yea, peter pan. The queue is not accessible.

You know I never realized it wasn't because they have always directed us to the handicapped entrance in the fast pass line. I don't remember before my son was born what the line was like. Really Disney is really good with ADA access, so I am surprised that would get many complaints.

You know I never realized it wasn't because they have always directed us to the handicapped entrance in the fast pass line. I don't remember before my son was born what the line was like. Really Disney is really good with ADA access, so I am surprised that would get many complaints.

The fact that i's not ADA compliant is why they have/direct you to the handicapped entrance.

They get complaints when their kid can't experience something (like the tunnel) which I understand the guests point of view. At the same time I think it's a shame for everyone else that things like the tunnels can never be built again due to ADA compliance. I would understand if my brother couldn't experience something new because the only way it could be built is to make it not complaint (which technically it can because the law requires reasonable accommodation, and if it can't reasonably be done then no accommodation is required). Obviously not everyone is on board with that, and lawyers would have a field day arguing what is reasonable.

Interestingly Ripsaw falls for example has positions that can not be worked by someone who can not climb stairs. It was obviously built well after ADA but the cost of an elevator was not deemed reasonable.

Just wanted to say I was at MK today and went on Tom Sawyer Island and the Escape Tunnel was open. Haven't been on Screamscape in a long time, so they could have reported this too. But I guess all of our ADA/Safety concerns were not actually and issue and they were probably just doing some repairs on the tunnel itself.

I seem to recall that some other forum had an ongoing thread about the future of TSI. There were a number of posters who claimed that TSI was either going to be leveled for some new attraction. Seeing as TDO has a lot on their plate now already, I realize that, if true, it may have just been shelved fora later date. Can anyone confirm/deny/inform?

Considering a big part of the rumored changes happening in that area of the park involved a Lone Ranger dark ride that was going to be a modified version of the original Western River Expedition, I think it's safe to say that was either fantasy of Disney fans or has been shelved due to the Lone Ranger movie being a dud.

I seem to remember plans for a river rapids attraction for TSI, it's a bit hazy though so maybe I dreamed it.

Yes, the plan from my understanding was a Tom Sawyer themed river rapids ride to add another high capacity water ride as well as a separate dark ride that was supposed to be the reimagined thunder mesa that never got built.

Yes, the plan from my understanding was a Tom Sawyer themed river rapids ride to add another high capacity water ride as well as a separate dark ride that was supposed to be the reimagined thunder mesa that never got built.

Thanks, so I wasn't dreaming after all :lol: