Tom Sawyer Island | Inside Universal Forums

Tom Sawyer Island

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 5, 2009
Was at the parks last weekend when it was insanely packed, so instead of jumping on crazy waits such as Jungle Cruise at 70 mins, my family and I decided to hop on over to Tom Sawyer Island for old times sake.

Never before then have I realized how cool the island is, especially if you have read the books and all. With that area of space, it would be an incredible location for a ride being situated on the island, but more of me felt as if this will be one of the "permanent" attractions in MK.

Not sure if Aunt Polly's is seasonal, or it's just closed down permanently. I thought before that they served refreshments such as lemonade and other drinks. Kickin' back with an Old-fashioned lemonade on one of those rocking chairs with perfect weather...nothing sounds better than that!

While exploring the island, a discussion popped up amongest us on how neat it would be if Disney turned TSI into a "haunted" island during the Halloween months. If done right, they could seriously make it pretty intense with the landscape and lighting on the island. It would give teens and adults a reason to actually "show up" during the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Event. Just an idea here!

I love going to play on Tom Sawyer's Island, especially when you could go early and look for the hidden paintbrushes. As to Aunt Polly's, I'm pretty sure that it has not even been open seasonally for a few years. Also, turning the island into a haunted island is probably not going to happen as I would doubt Disney would want to invest money just for that since I'm positive that there are no lights on the interior of the island, hence why it always closes at dusk.

I don't think they would invest the money either, just an idea.

There are a few number of lights on the island (for workers maybe). I remember looking around for them and noticed a few that wouldn't light every single inch of the pathways, but give off some light to get around.

how big is the island?

It is big

dsc9350s.jpg

I may've been over when I was younger, but I seriously do not remember. I need to try and take a trip out there one of these days - there's just always so much else to do that I never seem to make it over to TSI before dusk.

We went over the one day. I always thought Wheelchairs couldn't go, but found out they could, just can't get around the island that well. So we went over and I forgot how cool some of the island can be. But it does need some work on it.

I doubt Disney would make it a haunted island around Halloween time but it's a good idea and it might feel somewhat isolated from the rest of the park, which could really add to it.

I love this place. I remember when I was a kid I could spend*hours there. It has a real nostalgic feel to it. The atmosphere makes it a relaxing getaway from hectic theme park crowds. I'd say Tom Sawyer's Island and Camp Jurassic at IOA are two of the most underrated attractions in Orlando. They both prove that you don't always need an over-the-top ride to have a fun and enjoyable experience.

OK, so Screamscape reported that the Escape tunnel in the fort has been closed. OK, if they are just going to close things that are broken on this island and not fix or update anything, they just need to put a new thing on this island. It is a great getaway from the hectic park, but it is really outdated and there is no much more they can do with this area to entertain kids longer. But sounds like they just want to take out cool features. Sigh....

Reactions: Cwoolboy
OK, so Screamscape reported that the Escape tunnel in the fort has been closed. OK, if they are just going to close things that are broken on this island and not fix or update anything, they just need to put a new thing on this island.

It's not broken. It's closed for safety reasons.

It is a great getaway from the hectic park, but it is really outdated and there is no much more they can do with this area to entertain kids longer. But sounds like they just want to take out cool features. Sigh....

It's "outdated" because it's supposed to be. It's supposed to harken back to a simpler time, not be a cutting edge attraction. And every kid I see over there always seems to be enjoying themselves.

It's not broken. It's closed for safety reasons.

It's "outdated" because it's supposed to be. It's supposed to harken back to a simpler time, not be a cutting edge attraction. And every kid I see over there always seems to be enjoying themselves.

Broken means something is wrong that guests are not allowed to use it. Whether it is safety reasons (which they could fix) or other reasons, it is still broken and should be fixed.

When I say outdated, I don't mean the atmosphere, I mean the things to do while there. They could add more stuff, without getting rid of the feeling of being back in time. I guess I should have made myself more clear. Like in the fort area they could have more moving things inside the buildings, to show it as a working area. They could add more climbing type things around the island to give more kids more things to do. Overall I feel it needs refreshing...maybe that is a better word than updated.

Broken means something is wrong that guests are not allowed to use it. Whether it is safety reasons (which they could fix) or other reasons, it is still broken and should be fixed.

When I say outdated, I don't mean the atmosphere, I mean the things to do while there. They could add more stuff, without getting rid of the feeling of being back in time. I guess I should have made myself more clear. Like in the fort area they could have more moving things inside the buildings, to show it as a working area. They could add more climbing type things around the island to give more kids more things to do. Overall I feel it needs refreshing...maybe that is a better word than updated.

Actually broken doesn't mean that in a dictionary sense or in a functional sense. Closed means something is wrong and guest are not allowed to use it.

The tunnel is not ADA accessible, is not friendly to the "larger" guests (Both height and girth) and is to dark to be safe. And I know the common answer to the lighting would be to add more lights, but as far as these boards go you end up with posts about how they are ruining the escape tunnel theme with all these lights (made by most of the same people who complain it's closed and it should be fixed)

Not the darkness part, which caused a lot of injures.

And strangely you can make it around a good chunk of the island in a wheelchair.

We have been there with my son (handicapped) and I can say you can not make it to most of the island. We had to park his stroller and carry him around a good portion of the area. So ADA should not be an excuse. They in fact told us while we can go across in the raft with his stroller that we would not be able to get the stroller around many areas. So they did warn us in advance and this did not bother us. Actually, I am trying to think.... I don't think we were able to get the stroller to the fort itself. I remember sitting on the chair with him resting because I was tired from carrying him around.

I am just curious how a tunnel that has existed since the park opened is now considered too unsafe. I could understand it starting to cave in (would also say this should have been caught earlier and fixed earlier), but to now say lighting is an issue? I mean they have haunted house with no lighting and no one considers them unsafe. The size issue you would also think would be an issue from the beginning also, yet I do understand as a country we are getting bigger. But a simple warning sign saying the area and small and for those that do not like to be in small cramped spaces, don't use this tunnel. It can be worded and themed in a way that would not be bad. This was the part of the fort the kids seemed to like the best, so to take it away from the kids just seems wrong.

It is not something I do a lot, but I think it is a shame when I see a part of the park so neglected and not being refreshed or updated. Basically no love for the island from Disney.

We have been there with my son (handicapped) and I can say you can not make it to most of the island. We had to park his stroller and carry him around a good portion of the area. So ADA should not be an excuse. They in fact told us while we can go across in the raft with his stroller that we would not be able to get the stroller around many areas. So they did warn us in advance and this did not bother us. Actually, I am trying to think.... I don't think we were able to get the stroller to the fort itself. I remember sitting on the chair with him resting because I was tired from carrying him around.

I am just curious how a tunnel that has existed since the park opened is now considered too unsafe. I could understand it starting to cave in (would also say this should have been caught earlier and fixed earlier), but to now say lighting is an issue? I mean they have haunted house with no lighting and no one considers them unsafe. The size issue you would also think would be an issue from the beginning also, yet I do understand as a country we are getting bigger. But a simple warning sign saying the area and small and for those that do not like to be in small cramped spaces, don't use this tunnel. It can be worded and themed in a way that would not be bad. This was the part of the fort the kids seemed to like the best, so to take it away from the kids just seems wrong.

It is not something I do a lot, but I think it is a shame when I see a part of the park so neglected and not being refreshed or updated. Basically no love for the island from Disney.

I know I've made it to fort with my brother in his chair, but it's been so long since I've really had any drive to ride the boat over there. And I do recall them warning us.

As you said, the size is becoming more of an issue these days.

And as far as lighting, when I was a kid if I walked into a wall in a room I knew was dark, my parents would tell me I should have been more careful. These days people sue over that kind of thing.