Tony Baxter Retiring | Inside Universal Forums

Tony Baxter Retiring

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 27, 2009
Kissimmee, Florida
It is being reported by a few sites that Imagineering's Tony Baxter will retire tomorrow. Seems like a great guy and not sure all that he is directly, other then Imagination building, behind but desite the lack of creativity coming out of Disney these days I am sure he has given us some great stuff so Congrats to him!!!!:ears:

EDIT: here is a link to wiki page showing what he has done

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Baxter_(imagineer)

He really was a guy who got his start at the golden age of the original era and kept that spirit and idea with values in creativity in the industry and company. I am sure many within new this was coming or planned as there were talks of it earlier this year from the fan base as well as things like the c portrait homage charactre for the Big Thunder changes.

Eddie Sotto confirms via his thread on WDWmagic.

Well. Tony had a gathering at the Tam O' Shanter Restaurant today and announced that tomorrow he will be no longer be Imagineering on a full time basis but becoming a consultant.Seems like retirement being on his birthday and all.

Tony and Eddie worked together at DLP and having read Eddies thread he had a lot of respect for Tony, the man did give him a job after all.

Full post here
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/eddie-sottos-take-on-the-current-state-of-the-parks-part-ii.770938/page-202#post-5304438

Sad news, like DH said he had a hand in a lot during the "good ol days" certainly give him a thought next time you ride BTMRR.

Interesting interview
http://dedicatedtodlp.com/2012/09/26/tony-baxter-interview-from-euro-disney-connaissance-des-arts/

Last edited:
Here is what Eddie Sotto (former Senior Imagineer) said at WDWMAGIC:

Well. Tony had a gathering at the Tam O' Shanter Restaurant today and announced that tomorrow he will be no longer be Imagineering on a full time basis but becoming a consultant.Seems like retirement being on his birthday and all. I was not present but heard that in a speech he gave that things had culturally changed and that he was not really being fully challenged with projects as in the past . I'm not quoting and thus is second hand. I'm sure something more accurate will be released by WDI that spells out what the arrangement and drivers are.
I always thought of Tony as part of the soul of WDI and learned many great lessons from him. He hired me. Will always be grateful to him for giving me a shot when WED had rejected me in interviews twice before! I hope he can use part of this next phase in his life to inspire others as he did me. I found that there is life after Disney and have been more challenged creatively after than when I was there.
I hope he finds those great projects and can spread his experience around. Truly the end of a great Era but I hope for him it's the beginning of another!

Thank you Tony for the good times!

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...he-parks-part-ii.770938/page-202#post-5304438

That said, is Mark Woodbury and Thierry Coup flying to Glendale, CA tomorrow? :lol:

Last edited:
Sotto said he will be consulting for Disney. But that's usually corporate speak for good bye. Disney wasn't utilizing his talents anyway. Yes, Universal may want to snatch him up. They have a lot of the Disney creative people on board anyway. And they are certainly building a lot of new lands & attractions. Good work for a creative man.

Sotto said he will be consulting for Disney. But that's usually corporate speak for good bye. Disney wasn't utilizing his talents anyway. Yes, Universal may want to snatch him up. They have a lot of the Disney creative people on board anyway. And they are certainly building a lot of new lands & attractions. Good work for a creative man.

He will have a whole bunch of Ideas that never got lit:thumbs:

Just because he's not at WDI, doesn't mean he's retiring. I doubt he would do anything for Uni anytime soon.