Top 10 in Entertainment (2022 edition) | Inside Universal Forums

Top 10 in Entertainment (2022 edition)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeventyOne

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2010
Orlando
Surprised this annual thread hadn't been posted yet, but maybe everyone else found the movies sort of lacking this year as well. On the flip side, TV was amazing. In any case, tradition aside, I like these, gives you an idea of everyone's baseline when they comment in other threads.

TV
10) Wednesday – a late entry but had to include (sorry “Blackbird”—you were an acting showcase, tho). Tim Burton’s New England take on Harry Potter, with a star-making performance by Jenna Ortega. Really enjoyed Luiz Guzman in his limited time as Gomez, as well.
9) Severance – didn’t love it as much as a lot of people, definition of a “slow burn” to the point I nearly bailed at least twice. But once it starts revealing its twists and just gets plain weird, had me glued to the screen. Season finale landed perfectly.
8) Tulsa King – surprised Taylor Sheridan chose to make a comedy, but it works, helped tremendously by Stallone giving his best performance in a decade at least.
7) Andor – dark, political Star Wars with only obscure ‘memberberries kept mostly in the background. It dragged in places, the curse of all streaming shows, but overall satisfying and look forward to season 2.
6) Winning Time – I’ll admit up front, it’s a story, not a documentary; it plays fast and loose with the facts in favor of character beats. And this doubles down on Adam McKay’s mish-mash of genre style, so if not a fan, probably not your thing. But an amazing ensemble cast, anchored by John C Reilley who steals every scene as Dr Jerry Buss. Bonus points for casting Red Auerbach and the Celtics as the villains.
5) Peacemaker – James Gunn proves he’s the master of making a likeable crew of misfits who get together to save the world to a killer soundtrack.
4) The Offer – like Winning Time, a tale that has grown in the telling, not a documentary. But an addictive look at the 1970s as an affable Miles Teller somehow beats the odds to put together the greatest movie ever made. Credit to Dan Fogler who disappears into the role of Coppola – I didn’t recognize him despite watching Fantastic Beasts 3 the same day as the premier.
3) Pam & Tommy – there’s a tendency to dismiss the 1990s as forgettable, but this show illustrates how that decade set the table for much of what was to come in the 21st Century. It’s also a sympathetic look at a previously unsympathetic actress tragically used and abused by the Hollywood system. The two leads and Seth Rogan as a likeable-then-unlikeable loser are all spectacular.
2) The Bear -- A phenomenal dramedy about a Chicago sandwich shop. The ensemble case is all great, but the city is as much a character as any actor. The humor feels real, based in believable characters and situations, not zippy one-liners. A show with true heart.
1) House of the Dragon – GRR Martin’s stories and world brought to life perfectly. If anything, the story improved on the questionable source material. Amazing performances all around, but particularly King Viscerys and the Rogue Prince. If Martin never finishes the books, maybe let these creators do an alternate take on Game of Thrones’ final seasons.

MOVIES
10) Uncharted – know nothing of the game, but as a throwback 80s adventure film, this (and Tom Holland) worked.
9) Amsterdam – apparently I’m the only one, but kind of dug this movie. All-star cast anchored by an amazing Christian Bale performance.
8) Jackass Forever – I laughed. A lot. Delivers exactly what it promises, no more, no less.
7) Prey – all the Predator tropes I expected but in a novel environment. A worthy sequel.
6) Weird – a fun mockumentary. Dr Demento and Madonna perfectly cast.
5) The Black Phone – made 1970s malaise a character every bit as villainous as The Grabber. Unemployment, missing kids, out-of-control schools, police turning to psychics, all the dark 70s tropes were touched on. Solid cast. Just a satisfying movie.
4) Top Gun: Maverick – an 80s throwback, but a highly entertaining 80s throwback. Nice seeing practical effects again. Nice seeing an unaged Tom Cruise again.
3) Elvis – Austin Butler is incredible. Not a Baz Luhrmann fan, but for two-thirds of the movie his style worked for me. Had this not slowed around the comeback special, would probably be #1.
2) The Northman – visually striking, gorgeous vistas mixed with mythological monsters. Tons of action. The most memorable movie I saw this year.
1) Bullet Train – John Wick meets Tarantino meets Looney Tunes. Strong characters, incredible action, humor that hit hard. A fun collection of cameos, as well. Bummed this never seemed to find its audience.

Reactions: Jamesh22
Good list!

Fo me it would be (in no particular order)
TV:
  • Andor S01 - best Star wars series for me
  • Wednesday S01- glorious Tim Burton perfection
  • House of the Dragon S01 - really hit it's stride, can't wait for S02
  • Heartstopper S01 - charming, genuine and extremly well done
  • Reacher S01 - suprisingly good
  • Ozark S04 - not it's peak but still damn good
  • Stranger Things S04 - for reintroducing the world to Kate Bush
  • For All Mankind S03 - every season seems to get better, an incredible show
  • Star Trek Strange New Worlds S01 - pure joy
  • Interview with the Vampire S01 - an amazing series I didn't expect to be as good as it was

Movies (I can't even make a list of 10 this year):
  • The Batman - I know people that hated it but I LOVED this
  • Top Gun Maverick - Tom Cruise is king of the world this year (Sorry Jim)
  • Glass Onion - hate that Rian sold out to Netflix and I missed it at theaters but still good
  • Operation Mincemeat - amazing true story well told
  • Bullet Train - brainless joy throughout
  • Prey - how to restart a franchise
  • Enola Holmes 2 - Christmas family joy
  • Avatar WoW (In any other year this probably wouldn't have made the list, it's here purely for the visuals and world building)
Overated/ovehyped IMO:
  • Black Phone
  • Nope
  • The Northman
  • Everything everywhere all at once
  • Every Marvel film this year

Last edited:
For film:

1 - NOPE
2 - EEAAO
3 - The Batman
4 -Glass Onion
5 - Top Gun Maverick
6 - GDT Pinocchio
7 - The Bad Guys
8 - Werewolf By Night (short film I know, but it's still a film IMO)
9 - The Black Phone
10 - Avatar: The Way of Water

Still haven't seen RRR yet.

All lists in no specific order (except for film).

Film:
  • Everything Everywhere
  • Glass Onion
  • The Batman
  • GDT's Pinocchio
  • Top Gun: Maverick
  • Prey (wish this got a theatrical release
  • The Menu
  • The Way of Water
  • Hustle
  • Turning Red

TV:
  • Severance
  • Andor
  • House of the Dragon
  • Barry (S3)
  • Hacks (S2)
  • Atlanta (S3 & 4)
  • The Bear
  • The White Lotus (S2)
  • Ozark (S4)
  • The Old Man

New-to-me video games. I didn't play too much the first 7-8 months of the year.
  • Half-Life: Alyx
  • Super Hot VR
  • The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Control
  • Deathloop
  • God of War (yes, I just got to playing it this year for Ragnarok)
  • Returnal

Last edited:
Alright, this is again going to be nonconventional on my part--I'm listing everything across all categories together, because chaos is fun that way. Also have not seen several acclaimed movies because just couldn't fit in my budget, though I did get a movie theatre gift card for Xmas so I really hope EEAAO re-releases for Oscar season.

To be updated as I can think of more things:

#6--Nope. While I wish the main focus had been on the B-story, I will happily take whatever original movies I can get. Clever commentary on the entertainment biz that exploits one of the scariest incidents I've ever read about very effectively.

#5--Nightmare Fuel 2.0. I don't care that I didn't actually go this year, a watch on YouTube makes it clear that this was once again an incredible show, possibly even better than the first go round. I listen to the soundtrack regularly.

#4--The Slap. I would check for a couple categories afterwards but for the most part I had zero interest in the Oscars. I still don't really, but this made me more interested in the ceremony than I have for probably a decade.

#3--The Batman. Although I grew up with the Nolan movies--and never had much interest in DC characters otherwise--I loved this. Dripping with atmosphere, a riveting mystery, and a great villain. Very intrigued for whenever the sequel comes out, just please don't give us Joker again.

#2--Stranger Things 4. Possibly the biggest surprise this year. I was completely done with this show, had zero interest in watching...and then the reviews start coming in, and I reluctantly decide to watch.The horrific opening sequence single handedly hooked me all over again. While I found the Russia scenes and some of the CA scenes to be a complete chore to sit through, the main story was near perfect. Now I can't wait for the final season. Bravo, Duffer Bros.

#1--Iron Gwazi. After years of hearing about RMC this, RMC that and never getting to experience one, this was my most anticipated attraction possibly ever. When your expectations are that unfathomably high for something, it can almost never live up to the hype. Daytime it can't quite reach that, despite still being excellent, but nighttime it was everything I dreamed it would be. Probably my #1 now, at least at night.

Last edited:
Movies

Fire of Love
Elvis
Puss and Boots the Last wish
The Whale
Everything, Everywhere (A24)
Dr Strange 2
Werewolf at Night
Nope
Spirited
Batman

(want to shout of Chip and Dale and DisEnchanted for both being very fun films and should have been in theaters)

TV shows
Bobs Burgers season 13 (the Christmas episode to me is a instant classic)
Tales of the Jedi (mainly because the Dooku stuff was just so dam great)
Central Park season 3
Sandman the TV show
The Dragon Prince Season 4
My Hero Academia
Andor (wish Boba and Obi wan could be on the list...but they just didn't bring it)
Moon Knight
Cobra Kai season 5
House of Dragon

(also shout out to Rick and Morty....it was a great season)

Video games
Marvel Snap
Fire Emblem: Three hopes
Kirby and the Forgotten land
Pokemon Scarlet (had no bugs with the game and its my game of the year)
High on Life (its the perfect fun ten hour game)

Podcasts/Audio Books
Batman unburied (podcast)
Marvels the Wasterlanders (I finished Starlords and Hawkeyes and now on the Grey Widow)
Sandman Volume 3 (audio book)
batman the audio adventures
Star Wars Shadow of the Sith (great book with Luke and Lando)

Top 10 Movies:

1) RRR (Requried viewing. I don't make the rules)
2) EEAAO
3) Glass Onion
4) The Northman
5) The Batman
6) Prey
7) Top Gun: Maverick
8) Weird
9) The Black Phone
10) uhhhhhhhhhh, I guess Doctor Strange 2

Top 10 Shows:

1) Andor S1
2) Wednesday S1
3) The Sandman S1
4) Chainsaw Man S1
5) My Hero Academia S6
6) House of the Dragon S1
7) Stranger Things S4
8) Reacher
9) Star Trek: SNW S1
10) Peacemaker S1

Top 5 Games:
1) Elden Ring
2) Also Elden Ring
3) Vampire Survivors
4) GoW: Ragnarok
5) Marvel Snap

Here are my favorite movie picks for 2022:
2022-Favorites.jpg

But perhaps the best overall thing I saw in '22 was the incredible LIGHT & MAGIC documentary on Disney+. It's the greatest piece of media produced for the service so far.
Light-Magic.png

Here are my favorite movie picks for 2022:
2022-Favorites.jpg

But perhaps the best overall thing I saw in '22 was the incredible LIGHT & MAGIC documentary on Disney+. It's the greatest piece of media produced for the service so far.
Light-Magic.png
Totally forgot about Light & Magic but yes, that was absolutely incredible and imo is only rivaled by Fire Of Love in terms of documentary content.

Reactions: belloq87
Top 10 films (in alphabetical order) --
  • The Black Phone
  • Crimes of the Future
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • Glass Onion: A Knives Out Story
  • Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
  • Kimi
  • Nope
  • The Northman
  • Pearl
  • Tár
Honorable mentions --
  • Ambulance
  • Barbarian
  • Bodies Bodies Bodies
  • The House
  • Mad God
  • Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
  • The Menu
  • The Sea Beast
  • Spirited
  • We're All Going to the World's Fair
  • Women Talking
  • X

Reactions: belloq87
Films:

1. TÁR
2. Aftersun
3. The Banshees of Inisherin
4. Avatar: The Way of Water
5. Everything Everywhere All at Once
6. Nope
7. Elvis
8. Bones and All
9. Babylon
10. Top Gun: Maverick

TV (Admittedly behind on many shows):

1. Better Call Saul
2. Barry
3. Severance
4. The Boys
5. Stranger Things

Heartstopper - There are two types of teenager shows, those written for those who ARE teenagers and those written for those reliving or wishing for better teenage days. Heartstopper manages to sit comfortably in the middle, offering honest drama and age appropriate romance. It's a show that is deffinatley needed now.

Glass Onion - For anyone familiar with the Beatles song then you know what was coming... somewhat. The movie still managed to throw several curveballs by undercutting mystery tropes while kinda endorsing a pro-anarchy messaged in a detective film. A wild ride worth it just to see Lansbury, Sondheim, and Blanc play Among Us over Zoom.

RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars 7 - Drag Race hops on the all good vibes train with All Stars 7, the battle for the queen of queens, the all winners season. No eliminations, just points, and a fun "blocking" mechanic replaced the traditional eliminations and the "do they deserve it" drama of other seasons. Then to top it all off with some iconic performances.

Power Wash Simulator - What a disappointing year for games. Several titles I've been hoping and waiting for either were delayed, not announced, or disappointments. While Pokemon Arceus was neat and I've been replaying P5R on Switch, nothing has stood out to me this year. Which is why I grew increasingly fond of Power Wash Simulator, a game where you power wash things. Pick between nozzles, cleaning solutions, and angles then wash away the pain dirt.

Company (2021 Revival) - What a fun surprise this was. The short lived revival with Patti and Doyle really hit home as I was 35 when seeing the show. What a loss this one was, I was hopeful it would make it till the fall.

Gorillaz Philadelphia Tour October 15th 2022 - I'm a sucker for them and the new phase with The Last Cult is already hitting strong. I also finally got to seem them perform live in Philadelphia back in October and MAN that show was fun. A blast seeing one of my favorite bands finally after listening to them for 17+ years.

CRASH CharliXCX - Best known around her for her colab for Super Nintendo World, Charli's new album departs from hyper pop into 80s synth and pop. Big hair, loud makeup, and loud beats rock this album. And what an album, full of songs about love, regret, cars, and loss. So a Charli album.