Top Ten Anticpated films | 2016 | Inside Universal Forums

Top Ten Anticpated films | 2016

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
So with the film year drawing a close, I thought it'd be fun to hear your top ten films that your excited for next year. I'll start..

(I'm going to make..a revision.)

10.) Bourne V
9.) Suicide Squad
8.) The Jungle Book
7.) DeadPool
6.) Assassins Creed
5.) 10 Cloverfield Lane
4.) The Conjuring 2
3.) Captain America: Civil War
2.) Hail Ceasar!
1.) Rogue One - A Star Wars Story

the changes to that are Cloverfield Lane and 6-10. Its funny how two simple films change the entire list for me. And now,

Honorable Mentions: BVS, Warcraft, TSLoP, Xmen, Now You can See Me 2, Kubo, Finding Dory

Even though that list is personal, I can't wait to hear what others think of the films coming out next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stitch_101
Next year looks to be a massive year for film making it hard to pick, but here is my final list.

10: The BGF - In my eyes, Steve Spielberg is the single greatest director ever. While I am waiting for him to return and direct a hard hitting scifi film again (Close Encounter Of The Third Kind and Minority Report remain two of my favorite Spielberg films) I am looking forward to seeing his new family fantasy film.

9: Kubo And The Two Strings - Laika is currently my favorite animated film studio. Don't get me wrong, there have been some great animated films in the last few years (How to Train Your Dragon 2, Big Hero Six, Inside Out) but Laika's beautiful stop motion animation and guts to push the family film into new territory makes every one of their film's something special.

8: Passengers: Original big budget scifi films are always a risk. For every Interstellar there is a Jupiter Ascending. While we haven't seen any footage yet, the talent attached and the studio's confidence in the film is very reassuring.

7: Doctor Strange: I love Marvel. So then it might be odd that Civil War isn't on my list. Civil War will be great, of that I have no doubt, and I am eagerly awaiting its release. But for me, Doctor Strange, like Guardians Of The Galaxy before it, gives Marvel the opportunity the begin expanding and exploring a side of their universe we have yet not seen and to me that is far more exciting.

6: Hail, Caesar! - A Coen Brothers film exploring the world of 1950's Hollywood filmmaking? Sign me up!

5: Colossal - I'm a sucker for a good giant monster movie. Godzilla was a staple of my childhood and remains to this day one of my all time favorite film series, bad rubber suits and all. Colossal's interesting take on that genre is fascinating and has eagerly waiting to see more.

4: Star Trek Beyond - You may have seen a theme with most of my movies... I am a huge scifi fan. And that all stems from my family's love of Star Trek as I was growing up. While my reaction to the first trailer was less then enthusiastic, Simon Pegg's equally unethusiastic reaction and promise that it is much more than a string of action sequences is enough to restore my faith in the film.

3: The Witch - Horror movies hold a place in my heart second only to scifi films. I've seen so many that I have found myself in the position that few horror movies seem to truly scare me anymore. The trailer for The Witch unnerved me, something that came as a pleasant surprise. Couple that with the amazing Sundance reception it received, not only calling it a great horror movie but one of the best of the festival this year, makes this my most anticipated horror movie of the year.

2: Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - The prospect of returning to J.K. Rowling's amazing Wizarding World is enough to make it my number two pick.

1: Star Wars | Rouge One - The Force Awakens was a great return to the Star Wars universe. The opportunity to explore corners of the universe we haven't seen before makes the anthology films almost more exciting than the main series episodes themselves.

Honorable Mentions: Deadpool, Captain America: Civil War, BvS, Finding Dory, Moana, Now You See Me 2, Spectral, The Great Wall, The Conjuring 2, Ghostbusters, X-Men: Apocolypse.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
10. Zoolander 2- The original may be my favorite Ben Stiller movie
9. Now You See Me 2- The first one was good, but left a little too much unanswered
8. Alice Through the Looking Glass- If only to see Helena Bonham Carter's wonderful performance as the Red Queen once again
7. Hail, Caesar!- Proven directors mixed with a talented cast
6. Doctor Strange- Could be Marvel's next dark horse like Guardians and Ant-Man
5. Sausage Party- Certainly the funniest sounding movie of next year
4. The Jungle Book- Looks to be a live-action Disney movie done right
3. Finding Dory- Expect stunning animation
2. The Secret Life of Pets- Expect a heartwarming story
1. Captain America: Civil War- Really, it is Avengers 2.5

1. Independence Day: Resurgence - My favorite all-time ever movie is Independence Day!
  2. Bourne V: After Independence Day, this is my favorite set of FILMS. I love the CIA, Black Ops Tactical Stuff.
  3. Captain America Civil-War : It's Marvel, and I associate Marvel more with Universal than Disney ! HA!:lol:
  4. Secret Life Of Pets: Just looks interesting
  5. Finding Dory: Loved Nemo!
  6. Angry Birds - Just looks to be something else interesting. Not sure it will make much but I want to see how a game turns into a movie.
  7. Ghostbusters: Never saw the Original.
  8. X-Men Apocalypse : It's Marvel!!
  9. Rouge One: A Star Wars Story: Force Awakened was hot. Looking forward to more!
  10. Star Trek Beyond: Love the new Star Trek Movies!! :D

Ghostbusters

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

The Huntsman

The Boss

Neighbors 2

Pete’s Dragon

Finding Dory

The Jungle Book

1. Rogue One
2. Civil War
3. Star Trek Beyond
4. Fantastic Beasts
5. Suicide Squad
6. Finding Dory
7. Bourne
8. Batman v Superman
9. Zootopia
10. Doctor Strange
Honorable mentions: The Jungle Book, Secret Life of Pets, Ghostbusters

Right now this is my hype o meter, subject to change at any time. Seriously a lot of good looking stuff scheduled for next year, and very excited to see some old favorites hopefully get some fresh new life back in them.

10 X-Men Apocalypse
9 Dr Strange
8 Independence Day
7 Suicide Squad
6 Ghostbusters
5 Finding Dory
4 Deadpool
3 Fantastic Beasts
2 Warcraft
1 Civil War

10. Dr. Strange
9. Suicide Squad
8. Conjuring 2
7. Everybody Wants Some
6. Civil War
5. Rogue One
4. Midnight Special
3. A Monster Calls (read the book if you haven't)
2. Miss Peregerine's Home for Peculiar Children
1. The Witch

First, 2016 is so less enticing overall than 2015 was. This was a hard to make it to 10.

1) Fantastic Beasts
2) Civil War
3) The Witch
4) The BFG
5) Doctor Strange
6) Rogue One
7) Secret Life of Pets
8) Batman v Superman
9) X-Men: Apocalypse
10) Zoolander 2...I guess?

Everything after the top 5 I'm not super pumped for.

1. Fantastic Beasts
2. Bourne
3. Rogue One
4. Civil War
5. Suicide Squad
6. Secret Life of Pets
7. Batmas vs Superman
8. X-men Apocalypse
9. The Magnificent Seven
10. Doctor Strange

1.Great Wall (Universal Pictures, Legendary, and Atlas Films)- The most expensive film ever shoot in China, Directed by Zhang Yimou known for his two films House of Daggers and Hero (one of the few foreign films to score #1 in a US box office) and for directing Beijing Opening Ceremony for the Olympics and starring Matt Damon, William Dafoe, and a lot of really famous Chinese and east Asian actors. Due with this film already being made for Chinese audiences and with the backing of Universal, this may be the big film next year that pulls Avatar level success in foreign markets which is what I'm most excited about. Last reason is due to the fact this film isn't based off any books/movies and is a new IP.

2.Kubo and the Two Strings (Focus Features, Laika Studios)- Its Laika and their films are amazing. But mainly excited to see the mix of Stop Animation and Martial Arts being combined to create a spectacle. Also Universal has rights to this film so it will be exciting to see if their possibly any theme park connection to the film.

3. A Monster Calls- (Focus Features, Participant Media) The story I find intriguing as its based off a children's book where this kids mother is dying of terminal cancer and a monster visits him at night to tell him a story and its a really dark story with a kinda happy ending. I'm interested to see what they will do and how they will adapt it.

4. Doctor Strange-(Disney, Marvel Studios) Two words: Benedict Cumberbatch.

5. The BFG-(Disney, Dreamworks) As a fan of the book back when I was a child, I only wonder what they will do with the film and interesting to see how well Steven did with it.

6. Secret Life of Pets (Universal, Illumination) As this will be Illuminations, first distinctive foray outside the Despicable Me series, I wonder if they will create a hit or if they will create a miss.

7. X-men Apocalypse (20th Century Fox, Marvel) Since I've enjoyed Days of Future Past, way more than Avengers 2 or any of the main Disney Marvel films besides Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm really estatic for this.

8. Warcraft (Universal, Legendary) The success of this film along with Assassin's Creed will help dictate if there will be more/less video game to movie adaptations so its actually a big thing. I also know they moved it from March to June to the same time they released Jurassic World last year where some people said it was due to Batman V Superman while the director said Universal thought the film would be a success after seeing the first test screening.

9. Fantastic Beasts (Warner Bros) It has to do with Harry Potter and cast looks good.

10. Batman V Superman (Warner Bros, DC) As the second film in the JL series, I'm excited to see how it is before they go on promoting a new film every year.

Considering I don't go out to theaters too often nowadays, this is less of a top 10 and more of a general list of anticipated films. (Split into live action and animated since I really love animated films.)

Anticipated Live Action Films
Captain America: Civil War - Out of the Marvel series, the Captain America films have been stronger then the others. I'm really excited they're bringing in characters such as Black Panther, and the trailer was a prime example of getting people hyped without giving everything away.

The BFG - I grew up reading the book, and the trailer looked really nice. Considering Spielburg is directing, I got a feeling he can bring the right kind of whimsy to this story.

Doctor Strange - An' here we go with another great Marvel hero that'll definitely be new to most of the general public. I do love the character and I have plenty of hope for this one.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Having seen the trailer I'm quite intruiged, I haven't read the book so this is really new territory for me.

The Jungle Book - The trailer looks really damn good, little unsure of Christopher Walken as King Louie, but if the trailer is any good indication I don't think he'll be singing in this one.

On the Fence Live Action
- Deadpool - Love the character, the trailers look good so far...I just don't wanna' get burned again.
- Ghostbusters - I'm not opposed to an' all female ghostbusters, however if it turns out it's just a rehash of the first with just female characters in place, then I'll strongly be against this.
- X-Men: Apocalypse - So far the First Class take on X-Men has been really good, especially Days of Future Past. I just hope it's not like the first trilogy where it all went downhill in the third film.

Anticipated Animated Films

Zootopia - Admittedly this film had my intrest when it was first announced, and that intrest was solidified from the DMV trailer and the new full trailer which came out yesterday. I love the voice cast in this, I love the world building and the bits of story which was shown in the new trailer look pretty clever as well. This could surprise a lot of people to be honest.

Moana - Looking around the animation forums and such, a lot of people are really hyped for this one. From what I've seen it does look good, I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a overhyped piece of fluff. (Lookin' at you, Frozen.)

Kung Fu Panda 3 - Along with HTTYD, Kung Fu Panda is Dreamworks strongest series. Even though this is the dreaded third film which films have trouble with, from what I've seen from the Chinese trailers, this might be a great exception.

Kubo and the Two Strings - Laika has always put out interesting films, and this film looks downright stunning. This could be the one to challenge Coraline as their best film so far.

On the Fence Animated
Finding Dory - While I love Finding Nemo, it was the kind of film which felt compleate and I wasn't clamouring for a sequel. Not to mention Pixar's quality has been struggling a bit. (For anyone that says "But Inside Out...", just look at The Good Dinosaur which shows they're not back in the groove just yet.)

Honorable Mention: TMNT 2

10. Bourne 5
9. BvS (It's still them against each other.... even though it'll most likely suck)
8. The Jungle Book
7. Dr Strange
6. Fantastic Beasts
5. Independence Day
4. Deadpool
3.Rogue 1
2. X-Men Apocalypse
1. Civil War

Well here's my list. This could end up being the very first time I go a whole year without seeing the inside of a movie theater. I am looking forward to Hail Caesar though!

3. The Purge 3
2. Independence Day
1. Hail, Caesar!

I didn't want to make a thread for it but Ride Along 2 was funnier than I expected. I think there is no need for a Ride Along 3 but it wasn't on my most anticipated movies and I enjoyed it, for anyone who might be wondering.