Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 135 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If it came off, it could have hit someone on the train.

The edge of that hits a 5 year old in the face. Low probability, high consequence.

If it came off, it could have hit someone on the train.

The edge of that hits a 5 year old in the face. Low probability, high consequence.

Possible but less possible than a camera/ phone etc falling.

You can see there is a tether holding the eye so it can fall but not detach. It’s pretty common in a visitor attraction to have a secondary tether.

I previously worked at a Merlin attraction and all fixtures that won’t fall but could have a secondary fixture keeping them from a complete detach.

Yeah, it obviously has other connections, as it didn't come free. But for it to pop off initially, in only a year of operation, is quite surprising, and I'm sure a few Imagineers are on the hot seat because of it.

Cell phones are hurting people more and more. It's only a matter of time until Disney has to address that issue, reactively most likely. They don't even care if you film onride with your camera, which is stunning.

Had this come off at the high point and gone flying through the air like a frisbee, it could have been quite dangerous.

Yeah, it obviously has other connections, as it didn't come free. But for it to pop off initially, in only a year of operation, is quite surprising, and I'm sure a few Imagineers are on the hot seat because of it.

Cell phones are hurting people more and more. It's only a matter of time until Disney has to address that issue, reactively most likely. They don't even care if you film onride with your camera, which is stunning.

Had this come off at the high point and gone flying through the air like a frisbee, it could have been quite dangerous.

I really just think the way it is manufactured means the eye had to be separate piece, of course then with vibrations this can come loose.

The fix was the tether it did it's job so did the Imagineers.

I really just think the way it is manufactured means the eye had to be separate piece, of course then with vibrations this can come loose.

The fix was the tether it did it's job so did the Imagineers.

No, when something like this fails in the first year, someone did not do their jobs. Failsafe devices, if that is even what is in the picture, should not be tested this quickly. In theory they never should be, except in tests.

I sorta do risk analysis for a living, so I know a thing or two, because I've seen a thing or two. Somebody screwed up in the design of that eye/head. And the tails, apparently.

No, when something like this fails in the first year, someone did not do their jobs. Failsafe devices, if that is even what is in the picture, should not be tested this quickly. In theory they never should be, except in tests.

I sorta do risk analysis for a living, so I know a thing or two, because I've seen a thing or two. Somebody screwed up in the design of that eye/head. And the tails, apparently.

Did the ride have any downtime due to this? If not I think that solves this debate.

Edited: Wow, I just noticed how much padding they've added to the coils because of the foam falling apart. At first, I thought it was yet another safety change.

I couldn't help but be reminded of this.

xQTjmLUejp7l5m54NGgSYEMrORE=.gif

Last edited: