Transformers: The Ride - Summer 2013 | Page 96 | Inside Universal Forums

Transformers: The Ride - Summer 2013

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is it Transformers?

• Yes

Votes: 145 91.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 8.2%

• Total voters
Hey, you that hydraulic elevator lift cylinder we talked about earlier (for the restaurant). It looks like a different system may be used. This is a counter balance lift system.

Sketch of lift system used in a similar building on the other coast
SS44-012.jpg

Lift system tower being installed in building
SS44-013.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jtsalien
Last edited:
Hey, you that hydraulic elevator lift cylinder we talked about earlier (for the restaurant). It looks like a different system may be used. This is a counter balance lift system.[/IMG]

You cheeky bastard. I have been looking for that. Very similar to the Poseidon room lift system; counterweights. Those are actual pictures from a theme park on the west coast; drawings too?

The hole was already there if I remember correctly.

They have been digging maybe 3-5' holes on the SS44 site. Nothing deeper.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82436014@N02/7553377442/http://www.flickr.com/photos/82436014@N02/7553376342/
New to the forums here. I work at Universal and frequent the parks as a guest. Thought Id post some pics of the construction site. I'll post updates anytime I can. I don't have any connections, or leads though. I'm as interested in the rumors as everyone else though. Hoping for Kong, though it looks like Transformers.

Welcome and thanks for sharing. Please feel free to share your updates with us ANYTIME! :thumbs:

You cheeky bastard. I have been looking for that. Very similar to the Poseidon room lift system; counterweights. Those are actual pictures from a theme park on the west coast; drawings too?

Correct, both are from a recently opened attraction on the west coast.

I was looking at the sketch again and noticed something of interest. It appears that there is a wavy line near the top of the counterweight. This would usually indicate liquid level. So, and I know this is a stretch. If the counterweight uses liquid to balance the weight of the RV and the weight of the RV changes with occupancy. It is possible that the RV is weighed at the loading station and the volume of liquid is adjusted to properly counter balance said RV. This would greatly cut down on the amount of force needed to lift/lower the RV. And as an added bonus the vertical movement would be smoother than without a dynamic system.

Correct, both are from a recently opened attraction on the west coast.

I was looking at the sketch again and noticed something of interest. It appears that there is a wavy line near the top of the counterweight. This would usually indicate liquid level. So, and I know this is a stretch. If the counterweight uses liquid to balance the weight of the RV and the weight of the RV changes with occupancy. It is possible that the RV is weighed at the loading station and the volume of liquid is adjusted to properly counter balance said RV. This would greatly cut down on the amount of force needed to lift/lower the RV. And as an added bonus the vertical movement would be smoother than without a dynamic system.

I noticed that as well. Would be a very awesome design choice.

It is possible that the RV is weighed at the loading station and the volume of liquid is adjusted to properly counter balance said RV. This would greatly cut down on the amount of force needed to lift/lower the RV. And as an added bonus the vertical movement would be smoother than without a dynamic system.

Hmmm... this would suggest that they would be changing the liquid level every 10 seconds. Seems like an added problem that could go wrong; pumps, liquids etc. I see the water symbol lines but I also see the marking for 150 meters. I wonder what that might mean and why it is on the drawing. I have forwarded it to an engineer friend for his take.

At what point in the Hollywood ride is the car physically lifted? I can't tell on any of the videos.

It is a space saver only. The elevator is not part of the show. It is transparent to the ride.

At what point in the Hollywood ride is the car physically lifted? I can't tell on any of the videos.

1:48 Going Up
4:28 Going Down

[video=youtube;nqQ4hwN_-Pg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqQ4hwN_-Pg[/video]

I thought you were asking about the Hollywood version? I remember they tore down a building, but I seem to remember it already being sub grade once that occurred with no digging required.

They have been digging maybe 3-5' holes on the SS44 site. Nothing deeper.

I thought you were asking about the Hollywood version? I remember they tore down a building, but I seem to remember it already being sub grade once that occurred with no digging required.

You know what they dug and what they didn't dig? I wasn't there, but I doubt there was a 30' hole beneath the soundstages floor in hollywood. On the other hand, if it was an Ester Williams soundstage... who knows.

You know, I originally said I wasn't going to watch any on-ride video of Transformers because I plan to go out there next summer. But, my curiosity got the better of me and I watched it. For me personally, I would love to see this come to Orlando despite using the same ride system as Spidey. It is a completely different ride experience - seems much faster paced than Spidey. Honestly, I think the "Scoop" ride system is just a next generation version of the Omnimover system used repetitively by Disney - one that could be used in multiple applications even in the same park - perhaps with a different vehicle design. It wouldn't bother me at all.

Or hey, we could just come off all snarky for no reason. I'm just trying to figure it out like the rest on here.

You know what they dug and what they didn't dig? I wasn't there, but I doubt there was a 30' hole beneath the soundstages floor in hollywood. On the other hand, if it was an Ester Williams soundstage... who knows.