Travelling alone | Inside Universal Forums

Travelling alone

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dec 10, 2015
UK
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and looking for some advice over what to do in my situation. So, my partner and I had our honeymoon booked for October this year, travelling from the UK to spend 2 weeks at Sapphire Falls. Long story short is that the wedding is now off and I need to decide what to do with the honeymoon.

As it stands I've only paid £300 as a deposit so I'm not massively out of pocket right now if I was to cancel it, my thoughts are to take my partner off the booking and go on my own but probably downgrade the hotel to Cabana Bay to make it a bit more affordable. I know that I still want to go but one of my biggest concerns is that 2 weeks of wandering the parks and such is an awfully long time to be alone, so if you were in my shoes what would you do?

Thanks for the positive replies :)

Maybe just scale it back to like a week to save you money? I suppose it would greatly depend on how excited you are to see the new stuff. I'd personally find it hard to resist a trip that would include a whole brand new park.

One of my next steps is to phone the booking agent and see what my options are in respects of changing dates as I have a feeling the amendment fee on the flights could be astronomical. I was last there in fall 2015 for HHN25 so it will have been 2 years by the time it comes around and I'm tremendously excited about VB and have been following that since day dot. Also as I've never stayed on-site before so definitely want to try that side of things rather than calling it a day at 5pm ;)

I think I'm leaning towards going but having never been to a park solo before I imagine it changes the experience totally.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Solo park going isn't bad but something I wouldn't do for two weeks. See if you can schedule for a week or so. Can you move dates too? Maybe line it up with F&W and HHN to give you more things to do. Plus this is a good opportunity to do things you wouldn't or couldn't do before.

Reactions: AzaJ12345
Done it many times and met some great people doing so.

Its great not having to worry about what others in your party may ot may not want to do. If you have a hobby its also a great time to self indulge, I did a lot of photography.

Make friends and try and arrange some meets through OU we really are a friendly bunch, I've met some of my best buddies through here.

Go forth and have fun and don't let solo travel be an issue, I've never found it to be.

I do 2 weeks to the parks all the time solo from the UK, you can go at the pace you want to, if you want a lie in you can if you wanna get up early and be at park opening you can, as others have said make friends here see if others will be there when you are meet up and have fun.

Thanks again all. I really appreciate your comments.

I would love to be that person who can arrange a meet up with someone I've never met before (although knowing we'd have a shared passion) but being a bit of an introvert makes this difficult to do. I've been on this site a while and know it's a friendly place and maybe when the time comes I'll be able to make that leap. Possibly a HHN meet up as I've seen those go around before.

If anyone's interested in an update I've spoken to the agent and changing dates would effectively mean me starting a new booking from scratch so it's definitely swaying me towards going but possibly changing the accommodation. As I've never stayed on site does it make that much of a difference? I'm happy to pay for the luxury if the benefits stack up.

I would love to be that person who can arrange a meet up with someone I've never met before (although knowing we'd have a shared passion) but being a bit of an introvert makes this difficult to do. I've been on this site a while and know it's a friendly place and maybe when the time comes I'll be able to make that leap. Possibly a HHN meet up as I've seen those go around before.

If anyone's interested in an update I've spoken to the agent and changing dates would effectively mean me starting a new booking from scratch so it's definitely swaying me towards going but possibly changing the accommodation. As I've never stayed on site does it make that much of a difference? I'm happy to pay for the luxury if the benefits stack up.

If the pricing makes sense, I would switch to a 1 week trip at a luxury on site hotel. My favorite is Hard Rock for it's proximity, but for that length of time I'd go with Portofino. You'd get express (which would be useful during October), and have multiple in-hotel restaurants, the pools, etc.

You can't beat staying onsite. It's a whole new and improved experience. Once you've done it there's no going back. On site at Universal, where everything is within walking distance, is the ultimate in leisure & relaxation.

Reactions: AzaJ12345 and Joel
You can't beat staying onsite. It's a whole new and improved experience. Once you've done it there's no going back. On site at Universal, where everything is within walking distance, is the ultimate in leisure & relaxation.
Exactly true. We used to do airbnb / off site hotels. Once you go onsite, you never go back. It's worth every extra penny.

I will be about first 2 weeks of October, will be trying to actually do HHN this year for the first time.
Ok great, well my trip is currently 10th-24th so we may overlap by a few days and I could buy you a (butter?)beer :). Out of interest, when you go solo do you stay onsite?

This :thumbsup: Thanks, I think this is what I've needed to hear as I'm sure you know the difference between staying on and off is huge and was wondering if I'd see those benefits being on my own. I love UOR for what it is having never stayed onsite, to then see it only gets better by doing so makes me a lot more comfortable in my decision.

For me onsite is the only way. Cabanna Bay is a great experience, SF is very nice and the park transport from either is fast and efficient. Not only do you get the experience of a great resort they have wonderful theme parks right next door!

I am pretty introverted myself and the forum people tend to run that way (from my experience) as well so when you meet up it is very cautious at first until you all figure out if you want to spend time in the park together. Just remember you are under no social obligation to do more than say hi, if you are uncomfortable there is always your booked return time on Woody Woodpecker to hustle off to. ;)

October is the best time to go. HHN brings people from all over the world together and there are informal meets going on all over the resort. Should be the time of your life. I did 11 nights onsite last year for HHN and had a blast. I only live 1.5 hours driving away so it is that much of a draw for me. I was a little burnt by the end but I didn't do any of the other Orlando attractions during that time so two weeks would be great to do it all.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I was hoping to do a split stay this year of Uni and Disney but my budget couldn't quite manage it, so unfort staying at Disney and popping over to Uni, my next trip will be a proper Uni/Disney run

Just want to thank you again for all your comments, without getting the violin out, there is no getting away from the fact that this is going to be a difficult year for me so when it comes to selling our home/saying goodbye to the pets etc knowing that I have something to look forward to is going to keep me going :)

I am pretty introverted myself and the forum people tend to run that way (from my experience) as well so when you meet up it is very cautious at first until you all figure out if you want to spend time in the park together. Just remember you are under no social obligation to do more than say hi, if you are uncomfortable there is always your booked return time on Woody Woodpecker to hustle off to. ;)
That's good to know, thanks for your insight :) I'll definitely remember that one, I'll make a call and make sure Woody doesn't meet the chopping block before October in that case;)

I was hoping to do a split stay this year of Uni and Disney but my budget couldn't quite manage it, so unfort staying at Disney and popping over to Uni, my next trip will be a proper Uni/Disney run
Ah, we did Disney last time and nothing will have changed (besides Avatar which I'm a bit meh over) I don't think I'll be heading there this year.

Reactions: JoeCamel

I feel like I scared @Skipper Justin when we met up during HHN last year.. I was fairly plastered at that point hahah