Triplets of Terror (HHN 33) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Triplets of Terror (HHN 33)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Considering I'm one of the people you're quoting here, I'm pretty happy to eat my hat - Blood Moon was one of my favorites last year. To my credit, though, the finale... monstrosity was fairly Bloodborne-esque!
So happy I'm not the only one who thought of that.

Especially after Blood Moon, we really need a Bloodborne house.

• Love
Reactions: bdubsCEO
The Bloodmoon thread was nearly identical to this on the first few pages. Lots of "seems generic", "unless there's a twist, seems meh", etc. takes right out the gate. These are all from Page 1:

"My question is, does this house have some sort of twist or special scare tactics we are not being told about? It just seems fairly generic on paper."
Hey, that’s me!

Ironically, I had the same initial reaction to this announcement, but I am waiting to see. The idea that we are getting a town full of carnage is certainly a selling point!

I would love them to pivot away from grunge gore to gorgeous gore (think Rob Zombie vs Hannibal), but the key art for this is so RZ that I don’t get the impression that this is that house.

I see no reason to believe this one was rushed in development like Hellblock Horror was? We've been hearing about Triplets for a little while now.
I wonder with how generic it sounds, this was always a “backup” house idea. And when they didn’t get FNAF or NOES, they just went with it. That’s why the name had been floating around.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I think a big issue, using that term loosely, is that it was an "unknown" announcement, leaving it open for everyone's imagination to interpret it in their own way. Maybe it didn't meet the hype? Maybe it didn't meet what was expected? I don't know.

What also makes this announcement season unprecedented, besides the release schedule, is that the only information we're getting is a graphic and extremely brief blurb. Usually, some additional context is provided by press releases, podcasts, or the creators, but all is silent on that front right now.

I'm definitely ready to see some more info on the press releases and such, but as of right now, this admittedly might be #1 or #2 on my hype list (just based on original announcements and rumored IPs). I feel like this has so much potential-- especially hearing that it's going more of a pretty neighborhood vibe rather than the overdone hillbilly killer vibe. I'm remaining optimistic about this one!

Edit/additional thought: I get where you guys are coming from that, because it was more unknown, people formed their own theories. And a lot of people seemed to think/hope it would be icon-related and because it's not, people are bummed. I think because I've yet to interact with anything icon related that blew me away, I was admittedly a little relieved it wasn't an icon house (especially if the rumor is true that the icon is some super icon god basically-- my brain couldn't make that make sense for a house lol)

Reactions: grlhowl
I figured we'll be seeing the additional info with our zones/shows drop after IPs- whether that info just isn't fully prepared yet, or if they are truly trying to gauge excitement for originals with this unique schedule.

Reactions: theuberguberman
I figured we'll be seeing the additional info with our zones/shows drop after IPs- whether that info just isn't fully prepared yet, or if they are truly trying to gauge excitement for originals with this unique schedule.

I don't know if this was an intended side effect: But it also stops the spec mappers. Wouldn't shock me if they decide to release originals like this in April next year to try to get ahead of it.

Goblins was even more unexpected and went down very well.

But everyone knew more or less we were getting Goblins. The so-called mystery around the triplets left it open to interpretation since there wasn't much known or what "triplets" even meant. There wasn't talk of icons, what it means, etc. Heck, even as early this morning - it was thought it could be related to Slaughter Sinema.

But everyone knew more or less we were getting Goblins. The so-called mystery around the triplets left it open to interpretation since there wasn't much known or what "triplets" even meant. There wasn't talk of icons, what it means, etc. Heck, even as early this morning - it was thought it could be related to Slaughter Sinema.
Wait… we knew about Goblins? We knew Museum and Slaughter and Sweet and Monstrous, but I don’t recall any hint of Goblins at all. It was expected to be the black-and-white house. With Triplets we had a name. Goblins was a total surprise.

Goblins was even more unexpected and went down very well.

Goblins is very high-concept. The online super-fans love high-concept. This is not, Based on Legacy's comments, this feels like a trite idea I'd expect from any corn field haunt just outside Podunk, USA.

BUT .., HHN attracts a lot of people. And I bet those adolescents who first came for Stranger Things 1 are of the perfect age now to appreciate a gory, grimdark house you don't have to take a History or Mythology 101 class to truly appreciate.

I'm no stranger to having bad predictions for houses - so yeah, no elitism here.

My favorite house every year has NEVER been the one I was most excited for. Ever lol

I cannot speak for all the years I went but I can recall one specifically that I completely dismissed initially. The "Case Files Unearthed: Legendary Truth" house was great and way better than I expected. It turned out to be one of my favorites that year.

Last edited:
Wait… we knew about Goblins? We knew Museum and Slaughter and Sweet and Monstrous, but I don’t recall any hint of Goblins at all. It was expected to be the black-and-white house. With Triplets we had a name. Goblins was a total surprise.

Forgive me - it was hinted as "Infected" with the assumption that it was a black-and-white style zombie/creature house. The context was wrong but the overall point still stands... wasn't a lot of wiggle room for speculation.

So, this is low for me, but that’s just for personal reasons and due to pure speculation.

- I really, really don’t anticipate the gore-centric houses because they SCARE me! But I do get a rush from them. They rarely make my top five, though.

- One of my favorite scenes in an HHN house was the 2016 Chainsaw Massacre house when Sally jumped out of the window. Truly a scene you’d never see in a regional haunted house. The reason I force myself into the gore houses each year is the ingenious way that plot devices are carried through the house and the engaging special effects. Without a movie tie-in, I wonder how interesting the storytelling will be without any supernatural elements or period settings (It’s Uni Creative, there will likely be a fair amount of unexpected creativity, I know).

- Something that I’m willing to admit is that I really wasn’t a big fan of Hive, and in some ways this recalls Hive in the way that it’s an original featuring a transformed house. The hinting that there will be a “rest of the town” is what I’m hanging onto.

- This feels like the house where they would be able to cast a lot of fire crew and HHN regular cast that always do a great job. It fills a spot that the other houses as of yet don’t really have for big guys, Princess-height women, and particularly tall people. Of course, the reveal of “Universal Monsters: Women” affords a lot more opportunity to those important female aggressor roles that Uni has been consciously adding over the years to match the talent pool.

- I wonder if they have interesting faces behind their masks as a reveal.

To someone's earlier point about who's working on the house...there's an A&D TM I can't remember (sorry!) that our Unmasking tour guide called out for leading design on Bloodmoon and similar houses (maybe DMP, can't recall), specifically because he likes open layouts where you can see what's happening in other parts of the town/square/whatever as you're walking through. It wasn't Charles Gray but someone who I assume works for/with him?

Anyways, wanted to share because it was a cool tidbit I remember from last year's tour.