Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

UK Paramount Park

UKers are such a huge demo for UOR, I don't see Universal messing with the present arrangement.
I'm going to add to that:

It's hard to imagine that Universal will want to build a London park at the same time that Orlando is on the verge of being built out further. Orlando (both Disney/Universal) already target Europe to such a heavy extent, and there's a number of reasons why staying away from building on Europe is a good reason: see Disneyland Paris struggles.

Building a London park at the same time a 3rd dry park is going to be built in Orlando sounds too risky.

I think the idea that Universal could even be talking about a UK park shows that they're interested in some form. If the source that claims this is the case is correct, there must be some reason for them to even consider the idea. Disneyland Paris has recently been getting more interest because Orlando is becoming more and more difficult for families to visit.

Whilst I'm unsure anything will come from this it's certainly an interesting prospect, and if something does end up coming here I'm certainly not going to complain :tongue:

I think the idea that Universal could even be talking about a UK park shows that they're interested in some form. If the source that claims this is the case is correct, there must be some reason for them to even consider the idea. Disneyland Paris has recently been getting more interest because Orlando is becoming more and more difficult for families to visit.

Whilst I'm unsure anything will come from this it's certainly an interesting prospect, and if something does end up coming here I'm certainly not going to complain :tongue:

Universal also though Universal Studios Moscow was a good idea until NBCUniversal leadership was detained at the airport a few times and add in all this new stuff going on in the world, thank god they haven't put much work into it.

As a Brit, I've got 2 things to say. Firstly the weather is nowhere as bad as people make it out to be. Yes there is some rain and very occasional snow but UK theme parks could be open year long if they were indoor like Alton Towers' water park. Also, if people want Harry Potter, they will go to the studios tour in Watford. The main reason a lot of Brits go to Orlando is for WDW.

As a Brit, I've got 2 things to say. Firstly the weather is nowhere as bad as people make it out to be. Yes there is some rain and very occasional snow but UK theme parks could be open year long if they were indoor like Alton Towers' water park. Also, if people want Harry Potter, they will go to the studios tour in Watford. The main reason a lot of Brits go to Orlando is for WDW.

And Brits go to Orlando for the weather!!! I live just over the river from the proposed park, and other than a few weeks in June, it's been pretty nasty this summer.

There is not one outdoor park in the UK that is open all year round. This causes issues with staffing, as there are no permanent full time jobs except for maintainance and management. This means the seasonal workers are all students, which gives you a terrible experience. With the previous press releases promising a 'Disneyland level' themepark, they need to be open all year round, and have staff who can give that level of service that is higher than Alton Towers of Thorpe Park.

If only Port Adventura has stayed in the portfolio. They seems to be doing OK these days.

The main park is, we went earlier this year in May, and it was busy, it's a nice park. Ferrari Land seems to be struggling, reduced hours and I keep getting emails selling me tickets for less than £20!

Would there be a licensing issue with HP since WB have the tour in London already?

I just don't see the market for a Universal type park in the U.K.

I'd argue now that the main reason people go to Orlando is because of both resorts rather than just one.

Also, if people want Harry Potter, they will go to the studios tour in Watford.

You do realise they're completely different experiences right?

To be completely honest the weather in the U.K. doesn't really care what time of year it is. I'm not sure the reason our large parks don't open year round is because of this, or more so because they can barely manage to keep the largest open past 4:30 out of summer...

There is a park that opens March-January here (a small park), which shows it is possible for a year round experience - it just needs to be done by a company who wants to do it.

All that aside if I am truly honest I'd be suprised if this happens. It'd be absolutely fantastic but I'm not sure it will be something that does end up opening. Whilst I think it'd be a smart move, especially with the prices of Orlando holidays becoming quite crazy for families, I just don't know if Universal are ready to try the DLP risk...

To be completely honest the weather in the U.K. doesn't really care what time of year it is. I'm not sure the reason our large parks don't open year round is because of this, or more so because they can barely manage to keep the largest open past 4:30 out of summer...

There is a park that opens March-January here (a small park), which shows it is possible for a year round experience - it just needs to be done by a company who wants to do it.

All that aside if I am truly honest I'd be suprised if this happens. It'd be absolutely fantastic but I'm not sure it will be something that does end up opening. Whilst I think it'd be a smart move, especially with the prices of Orlando holidays becoming quite crazy for families, I just don't know if Universal are ready to try the DLP risk...

Beside the crappy exchange rate, if anything the prices have dropped for flights and hotels. A 2 weeks Disney ticket is cheaper this year than last year.

Beside the crappy exchange rate, if anything the prices have dropped for flights and hotels. A 2 weeks Disney ticket is cheaper this year than last year.
Agreed, we got a great deal on flights for this year.

I think those hit are School Holiday Only families, if you don't get in early it gets expensive!

I was really surprised Merlin had cut off-peak opening times at Thorpe Park to 10am-4pm. Doesn't fill you with confidence if they cut hours back like that.

I was really surprised Merlin had cut off-peak opening times at Thorpe Park to 10am-4pm. Doesn't fill you with confidence if they cut hours back like that.

They have for a while haven't they?

I know they are closed in winter too.

The 3 major risks here:

1) Does a Universal London steal European visitors from Universal Orlando right as Universal is contemplating adding a 3rd dry theme park (and beginning of a 2nd resort) in Orlando?

2) Does Brexit decrease mainland Europe travel to London to a potential Universal London due to more difficulty/roadblocks to traveling to London?

3) How does terrorism in Europe negatively impacting travel impact a potential theme park?

If you look at Disneyland Paris, there's a ton of warning signs to any attempt to build in Europe. DL Paris has been bailed out several times with Disney finally taking full control after the most recent struggles after the major terrorism strikes in Paris led to a severe decrease in attendance over the past several years and rise in indebtedness.

If you can overcome all of those things and the issues of Harry Potter rights in Britain, then there might be something there. It's a very tall order though, those are some difficult problems to address given we have no idea how the next couple of years will play out in Europe.

I was more referring to Alton, as Thorpe have improved again - they've even added another weekend to FRIGHT NIGHTS due to the new maze/house IP. :)

And Brits go to Orlando for the weather!!! I live just over the river from the proposed park, and other than a few weeks in June, it's been pretty nasty this summer.

There is not one outdoor park in the UK that is open all year round. This causes issues with staffing, as there are no permanent full time jobs except for maintainance and management. This means the seasonal workers are all students, which gives you a terrible experience. With the previous press releases promising a 'Disneyland level' themepark, they need to be open all year round, and have staff who can give that level of service that is higher than Alton Towers of Thorpe Park.

The main park is, we went earlier this year in May, and it was busy, it's a nice park. Ferrari Land seems to be struggling, reduced hours and I keep getting emails selling me tickets for less than £20!

Not enough product to be considered a stand alone park in my book. It's the size of a new themed land for an existing park. They'll either have to fold it into the existing park or add more. If there was ever a place for a dueling coaster it's a Ferrari themed park.

The 3 major risks here:

1) Does a Universal London steal European visitors from Universal Orlando right as Universal is contemplating adding a 3rd dry theme park (and beginning of a 2nd resort) in Orlando?

2) Does Brexit decrease mainland Europe travel to London to a potential Universal London due to more difficulty/roadblocks to traveling to London?

3) How does terrorism in Europe negatively impacting travel impact a potential theme park?

If you look at Disneyland Paris, there's a ton of warning signs to any attempt to build in Europe. DL Paris has been bailed out several times with Disney finally taking full control after the most recent struggles after the major terrorism strikes in Paris led to a severe decrease in attendance over the past several years and rise in indebtedness.

If you can overcome all of those things and the issues of Harry Potter rights in Britain, then there might be something there. It's a very tall order though, those are some difficult problems to address given we have no idea how the next couple of years will play out in Europe.

The warning sign is too many smaller parks that have really upped their game. Look at the effort Parc Astrix put into a disko
parc-asterix-discobelix.png

05-discobelix_1.jpg