Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Universal City, California, April 20, 2017 – Ron Meyer, Vice Chairman, NBCUniversal; Academy, Emmy, Golden Globe and BAFTA award-winning filmmaker Steven Spielberg; Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Jordan Peele (Get Out); Emmy Award-nominated filmmaker Will Packer (Straight Outta Compton); Academy Award-nominated and Emmy Award-winning producer Jason Blum (Get Out); and Karen Irwin, President & COO, Universal Studios Hollywood, celebrated the grand opening of Universal CityWalk’s multi-million dollar AMC Theatre renovation to create an all-new state-of-the-art Universal Cinema.

With its proximity to the Universal Studios’ production lot and filming locations for many blockbuster movies, these award-winning filmmakers helped call “action” and shine a spotlight on the Universal Cinema as the place to “see movies where movies are made.”

“The new Universal Cinema is a spectacular place to enjoy blockbuster films and we’re thrilled to have such acclaimed filmmakers join us to commemorate the occasion,” said Karen Irwin, President & COO, Universal Studios Hollywood. “As The Entertainment Capital of L.A., we’ve entertained guests for generations, taking them behind-the-scenes of movie-making and placing them in the heart of the action with our incredible attractions, so it’s only fitting that we create the ultimate movie-going experience giving fans access to a movie theatre where they watch films in Hollywood screening rooms the same way filmmakers do.”

Universal Cinema’s top-to-bottom makeover coincides with Universal Studios Hollywood’s ambitious epic transformation to reimagine the world-class entertainment destination.

For film buffs, Universal CityWalk has long been the epicenter for fans seeking an environment that matches the excitement of their favorite blockbuster movies. Delivering modern, high-tech elegance and chic sophistication, the renovation of the split-level movie theatre offers a stylish and inviting place that captures the spirt of the glamourous movie studio—complete with screening room quality theatres and ultra-plush reclining seats.

The Director’s Lounge Cocktail Bar—an all-new upscale and stylish second-level retreat, flanked by the upper level theatres—adds a charismatic new dimension to the space for casual pre- and post- movie-going fun. Beverages served at the lounge can also be taken into the second level theatres.

Each redesigned theatre has been fully upgraded with the most technologically advanced sight and sound achievements. The Universal Cinema represents the first multiplex in the United States to incorporate Christie laser projection, Christie Vive audio sound system and Dolby ATMOS with recliner seating to deliver maximum-impact movie presentations in 18 auditoriums. The installation of new state-of-the art screens, perforated to enable 360 degree audio, complement the overall enhancements.

The recent upgrade to the IMAX theatre features IMAX’s next-generation 4K laser projection and 12-channel sound systems designed to enhance the entire movie-going experience and provide an audience with sharper, brighter, clearer and more vivid digital images than ever.

A departure from traditional movie concession stands, the completely redesigned AMC Marketplace offers movie-goers a contemporary grab-n-go, self-service experience, featuring a delectable new take on concession favorites, including specialty popcorn, gourmet foods, real fruit smoothies, café style coffees and a Coca-Cola Freestyle self-service touch screen soda fountain featuring 165 different Coca-Cola drink products.

A box office and guest services concierge is now located inside the venue, with convenient automated box office kiosks situated adjacent to the venue by the “5 Towers” outdoor concert stage. Additionally, movie-goers can enjoy $5 Movie General Parking with the purchase of a movie ticket.

Since 1993, CityWalk has boosted the city’s rhythm through a foundation built on providing memorable entertainment experiences. With a series of dramatic enhancements currently underway from the introduction of new dining experiences such as the recently opened Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville, Voodoo Doughnut, and LudoBird, shopping experiences and visually aesthetic design features, CityWalk continues to resonate as one of L.A.’s most influential lifestyle centers. ~ Universal CityWalk Hollywood Press Release

The New Universal Cinema at Universal CityWalk Hollywood - Los Angeles:

Virtual Tour - Universal Cinema CityWalk Hollywood (Los Angeles) (2017):

If anyone hasn't been, I recommend it. It has a steep ticket price, but the seats and service are excellent. Not to mention downright convenient after spending some time at the Park!

So I’m sure that things will work out in the long run, but with the announcement today from AMC that they’ve banned Universal movies from being screened in their theaters, how would this affect the Citywalk theater if they don’t work it out? I couldn’t imagine Universal Cinema... not playing Universal movies.

I don't believe it will have any affect on the Citywalk theater. I don't think many people choose what movie they want to see based on the studio. Losing a big exhibitor like AMC may hurt Universal Pictures. I suspect they'll work out a deal.

I don't believe it will have any affect on the Citywalk theater. I don't think many people choose what movie they want to see based on the studio. Losing a big exhibitor like AMC may hurt Universal Pictures. I suspect they'll work out a deal.
I think they’ll work it out, too, but my hypothetical was more geared towards Universal’s point of view in regards to the Citywalk theater specifically: Imagine Universal releasing, say, Fast 9. As you said, most filmgoers aren’t worrying about which studio released which film, but for Universal, not being able to play Fast 9, a Universal film, at Universal Cinema AMC outside Universal’s own park/studio seems like it’d be quite problematic in their eyes.

So I’m sure that things will work out in the long run, but with the announcement today from AMC that they’ve banned Universal movies from being screened in their theaters, how would this affect the Citywalk theater if they don’t work it out? I couldn’t imagine Universal Cinema... not playing Universal movies.

comcast buys AMC...

Hypothetically speaking..who's to say Universal doesn't pull a Disney and have the entire movie theater bought out of it's lease, giving Universal complete ownership of Universal Cinema ala' how Disney is the one operating the El Capitan Theater.

Logistics aside..it's a thought.

I hope it stays because I loved my combo of seeing a film then going to the parks when they were closing and walking on some rides.

If you actually read the quote that came from the AMC CEO, they left it open for negotiation. It seems the only thing they are upset about is that Jeff Shell left the door open for day and date theatrical/VOD release, which got AMC pissed.

I'm sure Universal and AMC will have a meeting about it and come to terms and all will be good. I really don't think this will be that big of a deal in the end.

This is my go to theater because it’s so nice. I do hope one day AMC/Universal considers converting one room and putting a Dolby Cinema theater here. A pain having to drive to Burbank as they’re the closest one to me with Dolby. Some movies are best seen at this 1.43 IMAX screen and others in Dolby Cinema. I am aware all the standard theater rooms have Dolby atmos rated speakers but it doesn’t compare to the full Dolby Cinema experience offered at many other AMCs

Its kinda insane that this theater isn't really a premier theater like Culver City AMC, I see so many events happening at that AMC...when this one is huge and new.

Dolby and Prime should also be at this location, no reason they should not its just extra money for free for the theater

I don’t know how good it is watching movies on either theater since I’ve been to neither; but considering they’re UNIVERSAL theaters; you’d think the theaters in both Citywalks (Hollywood and Orlando) wouldn’t look so stale.

Its kinda insane that this theater isn't really a premier theater like Culver City AMC, I see so many events happening at that AMC...when this one is huge and new.

Dolby and Prime should also be at this location, no reason they should not its just extra money for free for the theater
Doesn’t AMC prime just include reclining seats, which all the Universal Cinema theater rooms have, except for imax? All the Universal rooms have the 4k laser projectors, atmos speakers, and decking seats.

Doesn’t AMC prime just include reclining seats, which all the Universal Cinema theater rooms have, except for imax? All the Universal rooms have the 4k laser projectors, atmos speakers, and decking seats.
Looking it up, yeah Prime seems to be what most AMC theaters have, but most Primes I've been in have bigger screens.

I'd be down for double Dolby as well.

This is my go to theater because it’s so nice. I do hope one day AMC/Universal considers converting one room and putting a Dolby Cinema theater here. A pain having to drive to Burbank as they’re the closest one to me with Dolby. Some movies are best seen at this 1.43 IMAX screen and others in Dolby Cinema. I am aware all the standard theater rooms have Dolby atmos rated speakers but it doesn’t compare to the full Dolby Cinema experience offered at many other AMCs

Check out the Brand's Dolby. No annoying glass between rows and newer. Park for free at the Galleria.

I don’t know how good it is watching movies on either theater since I’ve been to neither; but considering they’re UNIVERSAL theaters; you’d think the theaters in both Citywalks (Hollywood and Orlando) wouldn’t look so stale.

Citywalk Hollywood's theater is actually the nicest AMC. Tons of fun movie props around too, I would say its the most exciting chain theater outside of some Alamo's.

Prime is Dolby cinema without Dolby Vision. I honestly like Prime more since their seats generally rumble more.

Cinemark took over the Orlando Citywalk cinema a few years ago.

In case anyone was wondering why the left side 1st-floor restrooms have been closed for weeks is because they’ve been completely remodeled! Very modern now with the similar gray and white color scheme used on the Lower Lot restrooms.