Universal Drops Health Insurance for Part-Time Workers | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Drops Health Insurance for Part-Time Workers

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

bobwadd

V.I.P. Member
Feb 20, 2010
You never know
From the Orlando Sentinel

Universal to drop health insurance for part-time workers

Universal Orlando plans to stop offering medical insurance to part-time employees beginning next year, a move the resort says has been forced by the federal government's health-care overhaul.

The giant theme-park resort, which generates more than $1 billion in annual revenue, began informing employees this month that it will offer health-insurance to part-timers "only until December 31, 2013."

The reason: Universal currently offers part-time workers a limited insurance plan that has low premiums but also caps the payout of benefits. For instance, Universal's plan costs about $18 a week for employee-only coverage but covers only a maximum of $5,000 a year toward hospital stays. There are similar caps for other services.

Those types of insurance plans — sometimes referred to as "mini-med" plans — will no longer be permitted under the federal Affordable Care Act. Beginning in 2014, the law will prohibit insurance plans that impose annual monetary limits on essential medical care such, as hospitalization, or on overall spending.

Universal is one of the largest employers in Central Florida, with approximately 17,000 employees. It has thousands of part-time workers, though Universal said only about 500 of them are enrolled in the current insurance plan, as many part-timers are covered by a parent's or spouse's insurance.

"We care about our team members and we want them to have best, most-affordable medical benefits we can provide," Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said Tuesday. "This particular issue affects about 3 percent of our 17,000 team members, and we're going to continue to work toward a solution."

Universal said it would not save any money by dropping the part-time insurance plans. The resort said it currently does not spend anything itself on plan — it only negotiates a group rate through Florida Hospital and then helps facilitate employee enrollment.

Critics of mini-med insurance plans say they ultimately provide little protection for workers, with meager payout limits that are nowhere near enough to cover medical emergencies. Supporters argue they are a realistic option for low-paid, limited-hour workers who can't afford better plans.

Other large employers are grappling with the same issue as Universal.

A spokesman for Orlando-based Darden Restaurants said Tuesday its limited-coverage plans will "go away after this year," as well.

"We'd like to have the option to continue offering them, since they are popular with our part-time employees, but the ACA doesn't offer that type of flexibility," spokesman Rich Jeffers said. "There is still a lot we don't know about the new health-care regulations for 2014, but we are committed to helping all of our employees navigate through the new environment as we learn more."

Walt Disney World has about 1,400 part-time employees enrolled in limited plans. A spokeswoman for the resort would say only that Disney is "still assessing the health-care reform act and how it impacts our business."

"They have not talked to us about it yet," added Eric Clinton, president of Unite Here! Local 362, which represents some of Disney's part-time employees.

SeaWorld Orlando, too, offers some limited-benefit plans to part-time and seasonal workers. The company said it is "currently assessing options."

Other large businesses nationwide have also been paring back benefits for part-time workers. Two years ago, for instance, Wal-Mart Stores stopped offering health coverage to new part-time employees who work less than 24 hours a week on average. Last year, the world's largest retailer raised that threshold to 30 hours a week.

Still, Universal's announcement has angered some employees, who say the resort can afford to provide more-comprehensive health insurance for its part-time workers. Universal Orlando's immediate parent company, Universal Parks & Resorts, generated approximately $950 million in operating cash flow last year, up 10 percent from a year ago.

A few large employers — most notably Starbucks Corp. — offer comprehensive health insurance even to part-time workers.

jrgarcia@tribune.com or 407-420-5414

Copyright © 2013, Orlando Sentinel

Interesting. It will all work out in the end, or not, or sorta/maybe. Times; they are a'changin.

Appreciate getting that stuck in my head Teebs!:wave: Maybe I'll go pop in Watchmen....

And the hits keep coming from The Sentinel......

I understand they can only deal with the news that's going on, but they certainly haven't been kind in their reporting. It's interesting.

Journalists dont get paid to be kind in their reporting. That's what Public Relations people are for.

Universal's PR team better start spinning.....

Journalists dont get paid to be kind in their reporting. That's what Public Relations people are for.

Universal's PR team better start spinning.....

"The >3% of our employees that have our sh:censored:y coverage will need to find better options" about covers it.

It's a shame though that Uni doesn't offer better coverage, but these workers are better off with a more comprehensive plan elsewhere. Hopefully they're more readily available and affordable in 2014.

Last edited:
The only thing part-time plans cover is your doctor's appointments. That's it. If you actually get sick it's not going to do anything for you. A lot of these people will probably defect to private insurance or onto the federal plan.

As a part-time employee elsewhere (NOT Universal, mind you), I really don't have a problem with this, considering the amount of businesses that warned this would happen. This is far from a surprise and has little to do with Universal in the larger scheme. I am expecting my potential coverage through my employer to disappear, as well, though I won't be affected by that decision.

This will work itself out. The 500 employees who had the crappy insurance to begin with, should be able to get something better with the exchanges in 2014 when their coverage ends at Universal. I think open enrollment is Oct of this year for the 2014 exchanges. So hopefully everyone in the end is still insured. Darden insurance SUCKED big time whether you were part time or full time. So honestly all of those workers need to look into the exchanges. I didn't know of many people that used Darden insurance even as full time. Most used spouses insurance, I know I did. Insurance through Hubby was 1/2 the cost with 4 times the benefits.

Any change will have growing pains and I expect lots of them with this new ACT. But in the end it should be better for everyone. I know I am looking forward to it, because I have struggled to get insured since my husband went to private contracting status (I went to that status about 3 years before him). So unless you have been in my situation you don't know how broken our current system is, so I think anything has to be better.

Last edited:
Insurance will only get costlier, Obama care did nothing to Change the cost of Insurance. In fact with all the changes and requirements it will continue to go up. This is what happens when you vote on a 3000 page bill that no one reads written by politicians. I used to deal witha number of Dr's and Hospitals in my old job and they are all worried how this will effect everything. It will take years to sort out.

See this is the thing. Costs for Health Insurance have been going up for 10 years now. I worked in benefits departments and see the decisions they had to make. This is nothing new. People are quick to blame a new law, but in reality cost of living is going up, plus the economy tanking. So companies can afford to pay less, passing the cost to the employee. Plus health care rises because less people working, more people going to the hospitals and getting "free" care. This cost gets passed to us when we pay $8 for a Tylenol pill when we are in the hospital (because the 10 people behind you didn't pay for that pill). That cost gets passed to your employee, which raises their fees, which in turn raises what you pay. This has been a trend for a long time now and this bill did not address that in the short term. It should however address is long term. Unfortunately when you have large bills like this, no one will ever give it the time to run its course to actually see what long term benefits it gives. Everyone cares about the short term and there is nothing we can do to fix this issue short term. That is the sad truth, there is no easy fix to this massive issue.

I thought that under this new system, all employers with more than 50 employees had to offer health insurance, or pay a fine. So they're saying they will pay the fine instead, or are part timers exempted from the requirement (which would tick me off, because most large retailers try to hire most of their workforce as part time).