Universal Endless Summer Resort - Surfside and Dockside Inn & Suites | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Endless Summer Resort - Surfside and Dockside Inn & Suites

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Let's not get crazy. A food court is not a luxurious amenity. It's providing your guests with a place to eat. All of Disney's value hotels have food courts, I would expect this would be no different.

I agree. But most of the hotels is the area don't have one. It wouldn't be that inconceivable.

I agree. But most of the hotels is the area don't have one. It wouldn't be that inconceivable.
The hotels in the area aren't Universal.

What it boils down to is that by offering food on-site, you can over-charge and people will pay it - even with an IHOP and other restaurants nearby. There will always be people who prefer to just have a lunch at the hotel instead of walking across the street (and the hotel grounds will be fairly big, too). With 2400 rooms or whatever between the two hotels, the food courts will likely be pretty busy.

I suspect that UNI might run the food court at CBBR. I really wouldn’t know, but I do know that I’ve gotten the same egg sandwich in the AM at CBBR that they offer at the bakeries in the parks and they honor the AP discount.

Heck, I recall staying at CBBR for HHN...getting back to the hotel after the food court closed and they had folks selling pizza (already ready and in boxes like a huge delivery) right at the entrance that most use from the bus stop.

I can’t imagine they would pass on the opportunity to sell food to their guest.

Reactions: Coasted
I suspect that UNI might run the food court at CBBR. I really wouldn’t know, but I do know that I’ve gotten the same egg sandwich in the AM at CBBR that they offer at the bakeries in the parks and they honor the AP discount.

Heck, I recall staying at CBBR for HHN...getting back to the hotel after the food court closed and they had folks selling pizza (already ready and in boxes like a huge delivery) right at the entrance that most use from the bus stop.

I can’t imagine they would pass on the opportunity to sell food to their guest.

This hotel is going to be on the same level as CBBR when it opened minus the bowling and lazy river. CBBR’s value has increased since VB opened next door but it’s stilll the same distance from the parks as this hotel.

Realistically, in the next few years, this will be at the same current price as CBBR and CBBR will have its price increased as it offers more.

Reactions: UNIrd
This hotel is going to be on the same level as CBBR when it opened minus the bowling and lazy river. CBBR’s value has increased since VB opened next door but it’s stilll the same distance from the parks as this hotel.

Realistically, in the next few years, this will be at the same current price as CBBR and CBBR will have its price increased as it offers more.

Yup. I could see CBBR's rooms getting a refresh in the next couple years also to probably bring it more in line with the cleaner look of Endless Summer. (How are we abbreviating it, btw? ESR?)

The hotels in the area aren't Universal.

What it boils down to is that by offering food on-site, you can over-charge and people will pay it - even with an IHOP and other restaurants nearby. There will always be people who prefer to just have a lunch at the hotel instead of walking across the street (and the hotel grounds will be fairly big, too). With 2400 rooms or whatever between the two hotels, the food courts will likely be pretty busy.
Exactly...Plus, Universal doesn't want to give people any reason to leave their property. Just like Disney, they make more money on a captive audience if they can keep them captive. That's the master plan.

So it looks like the guest rooms are all going to be pre-fabricated, much like how they are building the parking structure (which makes for quick construction). If we're looking for differences between these hotels and CBBR, isn't this one of them? I don't remember them building CBBR like this.

we’ve also put them in all our testing rooms at my office (where they get very wet every day).

your job sounds fun, what do you do?

I just realized the Vag-looking pool is supposed to be a surfboard..

you must've missed that conversation when the blueprints were released (or leaked, I forget which). I believe @Disneyhead provided them?

EDIT: looks like they're utilizing stacked tilt-up construction for UESR:DS, 3 floors per wall panel, stacked two high for the 6 story buildings. I wonder if the curved wall on the top will be pre-fabricated and the third stack or done manually.

Thanks. It’s certainly unique. We do testing on wastewater to make sure it can support aquatic life.
In a basic sense- Wastewater plants send their treated wastewater to us and we put organisms (baby minnows, water fleas, etc) in it to make sure it can support aquatic life.
Murderer.

But no really. That's actually really cool.

Reactions: Joel and Andysol
Reminds of the sound barriers they put up on the sides of a highway, how they show up with art work etched into the concrete...

That’s normal lean concrete construction. They form the molds on the ground (these molds with designs, obviously) then tilt them up and done deal. Inexpensive and solid construction.

ETA: here is a link how they’re made

The foam insulation in middle is optional. As is the sandblasting. Everything else is pretty much guaranteed how they’re doing it here.

Last edited:
That’s normal lean concrete construction. They form the molds on the ground (these molds with designs, obviously) then tilt them up and done deal. Inexpensive and solid construction.

ETA: here is a link how they’re made

The foam insulation in middle is optional. As is the sandblasting. Everything else is pretty much guaranteed how they’re doing it here.

this is how Aventura's parking garage (and Cabana's/Sapphire's) were done as well. The actual tower for Aventura is too tall for tilt up construction.

Universal will actually need the parking sooner than later if work is starting on Dockside - that is a large number of parking spaces that are going away.