Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Endless Summer Resort - Surfside and Dockside Inn & Suites

Well, here it is.

There's pros and cons in this, for sure. The announcement itself is pure Universal: vague, dull and boring. While there's still an entertainment and shopping element yet to be announced, I still feel a tinge of disappointment. It's not that the hotels themselves look generic, but that there doesn't seem to be a huge difference from each other. However, it could be easily absolved by viewing them as a single resort piece instead of two fractured elements. Like Disneyhead, it is a bit surprising that they aren't as ambitious but it is what it is. Obviously many aspects such as names, restaurants, amenities and room types have yet to be specified.

The big shocker is the rates, below $100. Holy crap. This is a property set to be complete in 2020 and they're still promising rates that low. Disney in the meantime will be throwing its doors open to lavish, pricey new DVC resorts and wings, values turning into moderates and more skyrocketing prices. This will make Universal look like an effing bargain at a crucial moment when it's their new Potter attractions vs Star Wars Land (Nintendo will have yet to be open)... and hell, mom and dad can afford to stay at Universal, and side one day over for DHS. Major win for Universal, that's the game-changer everybody is overlooking.

So while the announcement feels ho-hum, there's so much more going on beneath the surface.

With 9,000 hotel rooms on site, or a couple of blocks away, that gives Universal, at their average 90% plus occupancy rates, 20,000 plus tourists a day for their theme parks. Pretty impressive and just about guarantees pretty decent crowds every day of the year. .....And, I would think that Universal is reserving their more heavily themed, or maybe even IP related hotels, for their hotels that will be located in close proximity to the new park. Those hotels will be able to attract higher room rate paying customers.....These Wet &Wild property hotels will probably have early entry too. Universal will probably just cease early entry vacation packages for non Universal hotels.

Last edited:
I don't think parking will be free (someone has to pay for the parking garages) and no way these hotels will have early entry to the parks.
Try and read the announcement regarding early park entry.:
" Early Park Admission to our three theme parks, complimentary transportation across the destination and resort-wide charging privileges are included."

And indeed parking won't be free. It's not free at WDW either, it's included in the inflated room price. Universal gives guests the option.

I think what people are losing sight of here, is that different people have different budgets, preferences, and vacation preferences. Universal will soon have inventory for all types of guests.

If I'm going with just my wife in the offseason and parks close early, maybe Sapphire and the like would be more ideal. i.e., we're spending more time at the resort.

If we're bro'ing down and doing late HHN nights, Aventura and Dry n' Tame look like bigly values.

At less than $100, these hotels are very attractive. You know you're getting quality with Universal/Lowes. It's a sure thing which I-Drive, Air BnB, etc cannot guarantee, and you don't have to pay for Uber, etc. This also could just be a place to sleep the night before you move to a nicer resort.

The only thing Universal is missing now is its own version of Magical Express.
Good points...... Also, they've been sending out surveys on a version of Magical Express. I'm guessing they will be going in that direction.

Even with Cabana they didn't have enough guests to make up for costs. But now with the new Mears contract + new hotels its probably a matter of time it debuts.
I agree with you. When Cabana Bay Opened we had 4,200 rooms. When these open it will be 9,000 rooms- Over 20k guests/day on average. They aren't even in the same atmosphere of comparison.
Magical Express & Magic Bands (One-source Express/Room Charge/Ticket/Hotel Key) are two incredible offerings for on-site guests. Universal should be offering something comparable- in particular if they want travelers/families locked down on-site for 3+ nights.

Note: They do offer airport transportation, but it is a paid service, and you only get to use it if you book their vacation package.

I bet they will, maybe at a lower rate though.

It bugs me too, so I always dump the hire car when staying at Uni. Which keeps me onsite much more, guess they win either way. I would rather spend my $$$s on beer than parking though :cheers::thumbsup:

I think @ReelJustice makes a great point about universal missing it’s own transportation to and from the airport as Orlando is a nightmare to get about without a car hire.

The way my next trip is working, it’s looking like I’ll be doing 6 days at Universal first then 9 days at Disney and I think I’d rather pay the parking for the convenance of not having to get a taxi from MCO and then get a car hire later.

I wonder how these prices will change when they come to the UK. CBBR often works out about $70 a night as part of a package.

I could potentially see these hotels having a Miami Beach theme. The exterior is lightly themed but could work towards some kind of Miami Beach meets Cabana Bay look.

It's interesting how this is being sold as two different hotels and that there's such a big difference in capacity between the hotels. The bigger hotel is closer to 3x the size of the smaller one. As we get closer, I'd imagine that Universal will try to make these two hotels different enough that it would warrant stays at both of them.

great rate
could care less about the theme
UOR sure does look a lot less greedy than their neighbors down the road
This gives yet another good choice to the customer
Yes. I was just checking out Disney hotel rates since they sent me a discount code. I haven't stayed there since 2015, though I've visited their parks while staying at Universal's way better priced resorts. Wow, I got sticker shock looking at the present Disney rates. Their moderates, that aren't really that special (they're equal or less than Universal Values in amenities & room decor ), were more than I pay for a deluxe resort Portofino with Express. Tremendous increases from just a couple of years ago. Guess I'll continue staying at Universal for the whole vacations and just do a day trip or a few to WDW, if any.

Beach themes are universal and non offensive which is probably the reasoning why even for a lower tier hotel they decided these themes. In addition, that area in and of itself isn't made for a higher scale luxury hotel. Its not prime real estate. I do wonder why Loews CEO is excited about mentioning their investment in this project back a few weeks ago and I think we are missing something key here. Why would Loews make this their largest investment in Orlando unless something else is planned for these rooms at the resort?

Don't you do a package? Virgin includes all the fees in the final cost.

Virgin only comps the parking at CBBR. The packages are so inflated though that you’d be cheaper buying the flights and hotel separate and paying the parking.

I only used Virgin last time because I had about 100,000 air miles which I had planned to use to upgrade the seats but the whole system is flawed and I could go on a massive rant about it. Long story short, I turned them into a £500 voucher and used that.

Virgin only comps the parking at CBBR. The packages are so inflated though that you’d be cheaper buying the flights and hotel separate and paying the parking.

I only used Virgin last time because I had about 100,000 air miles which I had planned to use to upgrade the seats but the whole system is flawed and I could go on a massive rant about it. Long story short, I turned them into a £500 voucher and used that.
Uber Scott, wave of the future (til they go broke). It costs less than renting and the parking will probably be the same as CBBR. If you need a car for a day or two do that, otherwise it is a luxury that you will pay for. I'd rather they break out the fee than roll it in like WDW does.