Universal Monsters: Unmasked (HHN 32) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Monsters: Unmasked (HHN 32)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Saw in the Hollywood side that this would likely be the last year of CM houses...I can understand and appreciate the need to take a year or two off from them but what really caught my eye was the statement that "Frankenstein and Dracula didn't connect with the GP." Huh? I feel like if mgmt were to hypothetically take a "Mt. Rushmore" of past houses to turn into permanent attractions, the 29 CM house would probably be one of them (along with either of the Halloween 1s).

Saw in the Hollywood side that this would likely be the last year of CM houses...I can understand and appreciate the need to take a year or two off from them but what really caught my eye was the statement that "Frankenstein and Dracula didn't connect with the GP." Huh? I feel like if mgmt were to hypothetically take a "Mt. Rushmore" of past houses to turn into permanent attractions, the 29 CM house would probably be one of them (along with either of the Halloween 1s).
Where did you read that?

Where did you read that?

They will almost definitely use this year’s Universal Monsters maze to justify retiring the Universal Classic Monsters for the time being.

GP barely connect with Frankenstein and Dracula as it is, and the Phantom, Quasi, and Hyde probably don’t even register. Not to mention the lack of money and effort into this maze this year. I can’t imagine it being viewed very favorably in Guest surveys…

To be fair to them, they have nearly exhausted their bench of Monsters to play with. I would like to see them encore the original maze with all of them for one last year or maybe a “Horrifying Discoveries” last hurrah where they can tie in Frankenstein/Bride, Invisible Man, and Creature under the guise of a turn of the century scientific exhibition or something.

Would like to see them attempt Creature since he is the only one to be left out entirely (save for Orlando’s one scene in their first Monsters maze).

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I'm gonna lose my freaking mind if they don't do creature of the black lagoon. I'll literally go insane .....

And, Orlando never had VAN HELSING. That would be an easy way to do a "best of" type house.
I always wanted them to do van helsing house here. You can have him hunting all the monsters. Story would be easy. him following each monster. Make the transition between rooms looking like an old map. ( make the walls between rooms look like a giant brown map) Please dear universal. Orlando needs this. Please

Last edited:
That's an educated guess not based on anything material, as far as I know. I have received no indication that they intend to stop doing Monsters houses, though that could happen for any number of reasons.
I feel like next year might be Orlando's last one for a while with the land opening at Epic.

Also, Phantom had some new dialogue added today!

Catacombs/First Phantom: 'I will wear your face!'
Curtains Hallway Phantom: 'Hahahaha! Christine is mine!'

And, a brand new scare in the Hyde sequence:
DOUBLE HYDE SCARE! Right before the spine rip, there is now a Hyde on either side that jump out toward you!

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I heard from the Facebook group last night that someone had a diarrhea explosion in the house. Don’t know if there was any truth to this?
Surprised it didn't happen in Exorcist.
possessed the exorcist GIF

So while this house has grown on me the last few weeks, I think there's a few notable omissions with no actual chandelier scene nor an actual belltower, I can understand they might not want to replicate scenes from '19 but I think these are odd to make when they're pretty central to the characters. Another notable omission is no catacombs, we go into the sewer but that easily could have transitioned into catacomb scenes.

Absolutely love the design of the main phantom room with plenty of references to the original movie, but the weird black hallway and extra "box" scenes left the pacing in phantom's section a bit off. Invisible man feels kinda shoehorned in, and the J&H scenes are about what I'd expect. The neon green potion is a nice touch I really enjoyed. Quasi could have had more interesting scenery but the facade is gorgeous.

In terms of a cohesive story and making some adjustments, my group (@PenguinCowboy ) thought about it this way. You would have Hyde loose on the streets of Paris escaping London because of his crimes. You pretty much bring the Hyde streets section forward where you eventually take refuge into the sewer / catacombs. You go from the sewer into a short catacomb section, perhaps invisible man makes an appearance in here (but it would make more sense without him). From the catacomb section you stumble on the phantoms lair, with a boat in front of it. Phantom section largely remains, with a slightly expanded lair to include an organ and a Christine. You travel up into the opera house, with a crashed chandelier coming through the stage floor as you ascend. You cut the black hallway and one box scene. Go through the 2 boxes and into the theater's rigging, where you emerge onto the roof of the theater and narrowly escape phantom in his "red death" outfit, jumping to the next building rooftop. You traverse a rooftop (think Gothic) and escape another Hyde attack, where you emerge onto the belltower. You take shelter into Notre Dame with Quasi grieving for Esmerelda. Work your way down the belltower to the sanctuary and the church proper where the final attack commences from all 3. We thought this might read more similar to BoFL or LC, giving more of a story line while keeping large elements of the house.