Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando and Orange County Housing Initiative

This answers some of my questions. It sounds like development plans are already in place, which is a plus. It should expedite things.

Now, 20 acres for 1,000 units is a lower than it could be (50 units an acre). That’s not a bad thing though. It means there’s likely more 2-3 bedrooms (family oriented) planned than studios/1 bedrooms. It also indicates some spaciousness, which will make them more attractive.

What I like most, though, is that Universal won’t be the landlord. They’ll make more money on the write-off, I’m sure.

Again, it’s a start.

A much more fair assessment on this, thanks for the info. I think the key will be how high they can make these buildings exactly, as that will be able to suit more people obviously. If it can hold 15-20K more people, thats just a little above the number of new people they said will be employing once Epic opens. A step in the right direction for sure.
Well there was that 500' permit that Universal opposed. Now how did that turn out?

*Side tangent*

I've always found it frustrating how some apartments list rent jointly, while others list it per person. It's so confusing!

/Side tangent

Hopefully this helps with the problems outlined in OS's series.

As much as I wish it would, the three acre mass transit development provision won’t really do anything. Orlando’s transit problems are far from a land issue.

As much as I wish it would, the three acre mass transit development provision won’t really do anything. Orlando’s transit problems are far from a land issue.
I think Demmings might include it as a part of his mass transit proposal associated with the new tax proposal. It’d be a good location for a depot or central transit station for the I-Drive area.

I think Demmings might include it as a part of his mass transit proposal associated with the new tax proposal. It’d be a good location for a depot or central transit station for the I-Drive area.
Would it though? It’s set back from the hub of I-Drive, and is even a ways away from the Convention Center. As much as it pains me to say it, Orlando was not made for Public Transit. It will take a lot more than most people are willing to put in to fix the transport issue.

Mayor Demings pretty much said that he wants it to be a mass transportation hub for the tourist corridor.

Would it though? It’s set back from the hub of I-Drive, and is even a ways away from the Convention Center. As much as it pains me to say it, Orlando was not made for Public Transit. It will take a lot more than most people are willing to put in to fix the transport issue.

It's literally across the street from the convention center.
I agree that Orlando has not been developed in a way that's conductive for traditional rail based mass transit, but the extensive network of roads certainly seems that it could support a much more robust bus system than Orlando has now. I'm really curious what exactly you think it will take to fix the transport issue and why the current tax proposal might be insufficient.

How is there enough slack in the Orlando labor market for all of Universal’s expansion?

It’s crazy to me that the Orlando area has enough people willing to take $15/hour to support all of Universal and Disney’s expansions.

How is there enough slack in the Orlando labor market for all of Universal’s expansion?

It’s crazy to me that the Orlando area has enough people willing to take $15/hour to support all of Universal and Disney’s expansions.
That’s, kinda, the big question. The Orlando/Kissimmee unemployment rate is below 3%, but a large percentage of theme park workers don’t live in those areas. A ton commute from Lake and Seminole counties. There’s also the large number of transient college students that are only in the area for 2-4 years. It’s hard math.

The biggest wrinkle, though, is actually the Disney effect. So many people move to Orlando simply to work at Disney. Catch is that working there, many times, ruins the magic, so they leave and end up working at the other parks.

I do think the EU expansion is flirting with job-market saturation though. Universal wouldn’t be out of line to attempt their own variation of the CP—especially if they formally partner with Rosen College (which is something Disney would never do).

The biggest wrinkle, though, is actually the Disney effect. So many people move to Orlando simply to work at Disney. Catch is that working there, many times, ruins the magic, so they leave and end up working at the other parks.
Is this actually a thing? I’ve seen a couple influencers that clearly moved to Orlando to work at Disney, but I was never convinced it was that big of a phenomenon.

I’m shocked Universal doesn’t have a College Program. Disney’s version is marketing genius. Disney is a well-known brand and a lot of college students would love to have it on their resume (even if DCP isn’t nearly as big of a resume booster as other Disney divisions). Especially is Universal could work in the Comcast brand name.

Universal would need to build college housing and I just don’t see that happening. Even with EU, Universal doesn’t have much land. They can’t dedicate land towards supplemental stuff like Disney can.

Is this actually a thing? I’ve seen a couple influencers that clearly moved to Orlando to work at Disney, but I was never convinced it was that big of a phenomenon.

I’m shocked Universal doesn’t have a College Program. Disney’s version is marketing genius. Disney is a well-known brand and a lot of college students would love to have it on their resume (even if DCP isn’t nearly as big of a resume booster as other Disney divisions). Especially is Universal could work in the Comcast brand name.

Universal would need to build college housing and I just don’t see that happening. Even with EU, Universal doesn’t have much land. They can’t dedicate land towards supplemental stuff like Disney can.
Universal does have an internship program, but it’s smallish and GPA-restricted unlike the DCP. It’s an actual *internship* rather than what Disney calls an internship but is really just them getting college kids to fill spots.

Universal does have an internship program, but it’s smallish and GPA-restricted unlike the DCP. It’s an actual *internship* rather than what Disney calls an internship but is really just them getting college kids to fill spots.
Disney has actual internships as well, so I’d consider DCP it’s own category.

One thousand affordable housing units is a great thing. I'm sure many will become workers in the park and hotels.