Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean is there even a chance that no insider would have heard that Universal bought theme park rights to Lord Of The Rings?

Of course, but when no one has then it is highly unlikely to have happened.
I've heard they HAVE been bought. By Universal.

Just with an extended restriction on when they can be used.

I'll admit I find it hard to believe. It's one of the stranger rumors I've heard, but would be a smart play - Buy the rights now, when you can't use them, so no one else can buy them when you can.

Yea the word was universal definitely bought the rights to lord of the rings for a boatload of money while ago when Christopher was no longer in control of the estate (which very much needed an influx of money). Maybe amazon is interested in parks and resorts and they have just bought them as a package or something. I remember assuming lord of the rings was gonna be in the new resort but then no one was talking about it. It would be a pretty big bombshell if they kept it under control from leaks and dropped it. But I could see overpaying for something they can not use right away. Open the new park and some years later you can either anchor the 4th park or open a massively money making expansion in on of the current parks. Sounds like a win.

Reactions: tielo

I'll admit I find it hard to believe. It's one of the stranger rumors I've heard, but would be a smart play - Buy the rights now, when you can't use them, so no one else can buy them when you can.

I can buy that but did they include the WB version or just the rights for the name and book imagery via Tolkien....

Reactions: HPFred
I can buy that but did they include the WB version or just the rights for the name and book imagery via Tolkien....
given that amazon is making more lord of the rings and no one else has rights I would assume they paid for current rights for a lot of money to make it worth it.

LOTR for dry park 4 confirmed!.... eta ~2033.

About two years ago Dave ( @Disneyhead) said that Universal had acquired an option to use LOTR but hadn't decided on whether to go through with the option, partly because they had rights to similar fantasy themed properties like Dragons and Zelda. We discussed that a bit at the time. Nothing new on that since that time though.
Yup I believe dave. The park stuff is likely on hold unless there is a big reveal.

I would love for them to have a model, but I honestly think its just some images with the land as a backdrop. I see no reason for Universal having to reveal any lands outside of Nintendo. The simple news of confirmation of the park + hotels + CityWalk 2.0 is more than enough from a news standpoint.

Would we want all the details? Sure, but Universal has no reason not to breadcrumb that out and build more hype longterm.
I think they kind of have to show something, it can be a physical model, concept art, or whatever, but it needs to be something new.

Just going on stage and saying "We have a new park and it has Nintendo" would be the same as no presentation. People already know that a new park is coming, and people have already seen Nintendo being announced.
After this press conference got announced, even more people know that already, we can't act as if the GP doesn't know.
Yesterday my dad arrived home and told me "Did you see that Universal announced their new theme park, and it will have Nintendo?", I almost had a heart attack.

I've heard there are other reasons why they're announcing it "early.
Should we read to much into it? Yeah, theres probably some deep meaning.
Comcast will have to explain to shareholders where is all the money going. Nah.
Disney will announce a new park in D23. Maybe.
Ha, I got it.
@Alicia stole the whole park, and will be releasing it for free next week. Can't wait to go in the Shrieking Shack ride. ;) (Sorry, I had to make this joke)

You joke, but I'd love to see Universal teases Disney with something like that. 'U23, the year of Universal', with the announcement of the new resort(will it be considered a new resort?) in 2023.

Reactions: Nico
People already know that a new park is coming, and people have already seen Nintendo being announced.
After this press conference got announced, even more people know that already, we can't act as if the GP doesn't know.
Yesterday my dad arrived home and told me "Did you see that Universal announced their new theme park, and it will have Nintendo?", I almost had a heart attack.
Even if 10% of people knew about this rumor, that doesn't change anything. Companies make big announcements for stuff that's been leaked all the time, and they never feel the need to add anything more.

Getting the press to take that picture of Bill Davis pretending to shovel dirt in front of that palm tree is so very important to them.

However, I do think 'they have to show something', because they'll want all the online and print news articles about this to have the FW Logo, the picture of Bill Davis and others pretending to shovel dirt, Nintendo, and something else which grabs attention. Maybe a concept photo of a land. I'm leaning toward HTTYD personally since that's a 1st party IP and they'll want to advertise their own brand. Or it could be the icon / hub reveal.

Last edited:
Reactions: HPFred
I do think the announcement coming now has more to do with investors needing to know where a billion dollars is actually going within the company. Also, due to the fact that this area is not a part of the original resort they may want to make it more obvious to the public and maybe more importantly the local community that this will be a Universal Park and not some new competition coming in.

I do think the announcement coming now has more to do with investors needing to know where a billion dollars is actually going within the company. Also, due to the fact that this area is not a part of the original resort they may want to make it more obvious to the public and maybe more importantly the local community that this will be a Universal Park and not some new competition coming in.

Queue Universal Studios Escape jokes....

Tons of discussion on what they may announce but why is a question that’s intriguing. Why now? Your most popular event starts in what 39 days? Since Potter Universal has been super gun shy on pulling the trigger with announcements due to their fear of crowds not showing up and holding off visiting. Hell they didn’t announce the last several rides opening date until mere weeks before opening.

So why? Why announce it now?? I’m interested in hearing opinions on why now before I chime in my thought. Maybe I’m missing something.

From the other thread-- I think the reason for the announcement now is that plans are about to become part of the public record as they break ground on the park. They know as soon as site plans get filed they show up all over the internet. They want to get ahead of it. Of course, the plans will leak much more detail than the company will give in a 20 minute press conference, but the "big reveal" is theirs to give, not some meddling kid bloggers. :grin:

Also (and it was mentioned in the other thread as well), the amount of money being spent will become part of the public record as well with financial filings by the company. They want to show the investors where this money is going rather than just mysterious "future projects".

Quoting from the other thread.

I think the announcement is actually going to focus more on infrastructure that supports the park and how it will impact the OCCC and that side of I-Drive. Yes, a theme park is coming. Here’s what it means: Kirkman extension; possible rail from MCO to OCCC, partially funded by Universal; another hotel.

That would actually be the biggest news, now, for Orlando. Throw in an OCCC renovation, it's huge.

From other thread:

possible rail from MCO to OCCC, partially funded by Universal

This is something I heard rumored a couple years ago--supposedly was a handshake deal. At the time I ignored it because zero proof, but I've been thinking about it ever since I realized exactly where the new plot is--I always thought it was further north but it's literally along Destination Parkway, a straight shot to OCCC with a fair amount of right-of-way left. Also, if working closely with Orange County, might tie into whatever is going on with Dr Phillips HS (different source, I DID see proof on that on, albeit nothing publicly available so can't share). That sweeping a partnership would justify a press conference.

From other thread:

This is something I heard rumored a couple years ago--supposedly was a handshake deal. At the time I ignored it because zero proof, but I've been thinking about it ever since I realized exactly where the new plot is--I always thought it was further north but it's literally along Destination Parkway, a straight shot to OCCC with a fair amount of right-of-way left. Also, if working closely with Orange County, might tie into whatever is going on with Dr Phillips HS (different source, I DID see proof on that on, albeit nothing publicly available so can't share). That sweeping a partnership would justify a press conference.

Anecdotal data but: my sister is a huge Potter fan and has never been to Universal despite several trips down. Why? Magical Express. Magical Express is the single biggest factor locking guests into a Disney stay. Remove that by offering free, fast transit to Universal and Disney can’t compete.

From other thread:

And we know this sort of mutually beneficial infrastructure development exists because of the Kirkman pedestrian bridge.

That's the wrinkle. An infrastructure press conference isn't going need as much time as a park announcement. A huge park groundbreaking ceremony would likely be an early afternoon thing so it could stream because COMCAST would want it to be national news. A 20-minute thing at 1000 EST is of local focus and small scale.

"Universal is thrilled to announce the development of it's newest park. Fantastic Worlds is going to feature... Blah blah... And we look forward to sharing more details specific to the park in the coming months.

"Universal, from the beginning, believes its partnerships with the City of Orlando, Orange County, and businesses along the I-Drive corridor are critical to its success. Fantastic Worlds ushers in a new era for Universal and the mutually beneficial relationships it has forged.

"First, we want to announce..."

Ya, I could see the park logo with SNW in the background be all we get for park stuff, with infrastructure being the remainder of the announcement. A train straight from the airport though? Couldn't be any easier. I can't imagine that would be free though?

Status
Not open for further replies.