Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 101 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they could run a trolley (street car like in New Orleans) down the middle of Universal Blvd from the WnW plot down toward the Convention Center.

It was a few years ago when I stayed at the Orlando Hilton while visiting UOR, but I seem to recall thinking there was a lot of unused land near there, then driving to UOR via Universal Blvd and thinking there was room for something like a street car in the median...but I have no idea how much space something like that needs, esp if it would need to be two tracks....but I do recall it being a rather easy drive.
I think they should the elevated lightrail system that is in place in Miami. It Only needs columns. It could go from one resort to the other making a stop at the former Wet and Wild hotels. It could end at the end of the convention centrum making every Lows hotel at universal an easy expansion for the convention center and every hotel a convention hotel.

On the theme of the parks (I bet there will be 2) is already thought when they bought the land the first time. Good ideas never die at universal, they only get better.

As Sean said, I would bet on 2021. Universal works fast and if they go ham like they did for IOA this could be a miracle of a construction process. Now for the hotels and stuff around the park? That's a different story. I expect new bus station kind of thing, a monorail is pretty crazy IMO

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I know a monorail or some other form of elevated transportation would be expensive but I think it would go a long ways toward helping the three sites feel connected. I know buses are more practical but one can dream.

Reactions: blue180
When one considers how many competitive businesses (restaurants, shopping, recreational entertainment) an elevated train or monorail could by-pass between the current and new resort, as well as a substantial reduction in traffic along Universal Blvd, I think it makes a lot of sense for Comcast to seriously consider that option. Of course, it's always easier to spend someone else's money.

Reactions: blue180
When one considers how many competitive businesses (restaurants, shopping, recreational entertainment) an elevated train or monorail could by-pass between the current and new resort, as well as a substantial reduction in traffic along Universal Blvd, I think it makes a lot of sense for Comcast to seriously consider that option. Of course, it's always easier to spend someone else's money.

I have no doubt Uni would love to do something like that. But these are public roads. They'd have to get a lot of go-aheads to do something like that

I have no doubt Uni would love to do something like that. But these are public roads. They'd have to get a lot of go-aheads to do something like that
I think some sort of above grade transportation is almost a requirement for this from Universals perspective to make this feel like it's part of the same resort.

I don't think they would really get that much opposition from the city/county regarding use of the right of way. From the government perspective they're going to move their guests one way or another. If they are willing to pay for some sort of transit system there's no real cost for the city/county if they just use buses then the city/county gets to deal with all the traffic issues and the increased maintenance cost of the roads due to heavy bus use.

Mind if you be a bit more specific on Hybrids? As I can really see this being Universals true answer to Tokyo Disneysea on total immersion (which..i need to check how long construction took on that) and that it can arrive shorter than that..due to Comcasts nice way of bringing the revenue in on Universals parade.
Alright so someone hit what I said by Hybrid. Something Disney-quest Ish. Not necessarily that but a place of entertainment that requires a gate fee entrance , or a ticket as some of you refer to it, but is immersive and advanced enough to be considered a theme park. Could be out door - indoors. It's only a theory .

What I believe is that Universal may want to move some of that backstage stuff down the street and create an all new theme park or expanded theme parks where they are currently located on the north-side of I-4.
Orlando's market doesn't demand another stand alone theme park, Legoland knew that. (Some will argue that the over taking of Cypress Gardens was cheaper, which is true, but I don't believe Legoland would have held it's own in Orlando at the time.

But who knows? If Universal does buy the new land and decide to build a theme park, nobody loses.
If Universal buys new land and decides to rearrange the layout to create additional theme park additions and space to it's current location, nobody loses.

it's a win/win situation regardless.

In regards to elevated transit, if anything, the County would have the least issues with helping fund something like this. Can't say the same for the city. As this should be the least of anyone's worries though. OC GOV has very detailed plans for I-Drives transit future (I Drive includes Universal Blvd Transportation BTW).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: UniversalCityFL
In regards to elevated transit, if anything, the County would have the least issues with helping fund something like this. Can't say the same for the city. As this should be the least of anyone's worries though. OC GOV has very detailed plans for I-Drives transit future (I Drive includes Universal Blvd Transportation BTW).[/QUOTE
Does that plan include mass transit, and what type if it does?

The 20 Year Masterplan created back in the 2000's does include mass transit.

Options were listed as follows:

BRT or Bus Rapid Transit with dedicated Bus Lanes - This is still supposed to happen. If anyone has visited International Drive in the last two years, North International Drive is more beautiful than it used to be. The city and county agreed along with Lynx to input dedicated bus lanes and beautified roadways. So now from Universal BLVD to Oak Ridge Road, the buses have their own travel lanes, a hair shy of BRT but a cheap effective way to cut down on the triple buses Orlando uses for overcrowding sometimes. Orlando has a somewhat BRT system in downtown Orlando called "Lymmo" From Universal BLVD South, there is dedicated bus lane plan starting at Sand Lake Road and heading south. The Section between Sand Lake and Universal isn't wide enough for a dedicated bus lane at the moment unless road paths are drastically changed.

Trolly - On-street Trolley. Much like the Streetcars in cities today. The current trolleys I Drive uses are buses and they are looking at a more effective way to make that happen. being a Floridian, I'm not quite sure an at-grade rail transit system is a good idea, but non the less the county and city are weighing the options.

Elevated Rail Line - I think this or BRT is more than likely at this point. The Elevated Rail line would and is supposed to be separate from the Maglev Train proposed for a slate of I-drive South. dubbed "The I-Drive Circulator" But there hasn't been much traction since the master plan was released. Hopefully and thankfully, business and investors are crawling back to I-Drive. I think in due time we see a sort of transit system intertwining Universal Blvd and I Drive soon. (5-10) years.

Reactions: Mad Dog
So, short of patience as I am... I called a little heron friend of mine today to follow up on the info that Uni was interested in the property and to finally ask the follow-up-of-the-day.

Turns out that all the hopes and dreams of many of you is the reason why they want it, must have it. Hotels too of course. It sounds like they have been in talks with Colony for quite some time. Far longer than any of us imagined.

Turns out that all the hopes and dreams of many of you is the reason why they want it, must have it. Hotels too of course. It sounds like they have been in talks with Colony for quite some time. Far longer than any of us imagined.

It makes sense. It's, realistically, their only REAL shot at significant land they can shape in their own image. They probably feel it's now or never, and it probably is.

So, short of patience as I am... I called a little heron friend of mine today to follow up on the info that Uni was interested in the property and to finally ask the follow-up-of-the-day.

So, the plot thickens in a huge way. Its seems then more and more now that they will be getting this land.

Orlando's market doesn't demand another stand alone theme park
This is true, but Universal really needs a third gate. The reason for this is so that they can compete with Disney on value. To the average guest planning a theme park vacation it's hard to ignore that the more days you go the less it costs. At Disney it's easy to justify 4 or more days as that's one day at each park. Most people see Universal has 2 parks and realize they're not going to get the same value if they only allow one day per park. I think 3 parks starts to tip the scale and make things a little more even.

Well currently the 2040 Vision includes:
- Transit lanes on I-Drive from 528 to Via Mercado (that one road next to I-Drive 360) and more on Universal from Via Mercado north to the City border. The city already built some on the north end.
- Separate grade bike lanes on the majority of I-Drive (sans the northernmost area due to ROW constraints
- a new/updated circulator
- the American Maglev proposal

Also, any above grade transit would have to be open to the public if it wants to get any sort of approval. That includes stops not just on Universal properties.

Alright so someone hit what I said by Hybrid. Something Disney-quest Ish. Not necessarily that but a place of entertainment that requires a gate fee entrance , or a ticket as some of you refer to it, but is immersive and advanced enough to be considered a theme park. Could be out door - indoors. It's only a theory .

What I believe is that Universal may want to move some of that backstage stuff down the street and create an all new theme park or expanded theme parks where they are currently located on the north-side of I-4.
Orlando's market doesn't demand another stand alone theme park, Legoland knew that. (Some will argue that the over taking of Cypress Gardens was cheaper, which is true, but I don't believe Legoland would have held it's own in Orlando at the time.

But who knows? If Universal does buy the new land and decide to build a theme park, nobody loses.
If Universal buys new land and decides to rearrange the layout to create additional theme park additions and space to it's current location, nobody loses.

it's a win/win situation regardless.

In regards to elevated transit, if anything, the County would have the least issues with helping fund something like this. Can't say the same for the city. As this should be the least of anyone's worries though. OC GOV has very detailed plans for I-Drives transit future (I Drive includes Universal Blvd Transportation BTW).

I seen somebody suggest the idea to relocate the school across the road to the new land and use the new acquired land to build a 3rd gate there instead.

This is true, but Universal really needs a third gate. The reason for this is so that they can compete with Disney on value. To the average guest planning a theme park vacation it's hard to ignore that the more days you go the less it costs. At Disney it's easy to justify 4 or more days as that's one day at each park. Most people see Universal has 2 parks and realize they're not going to get the same value if they only allow one day per park. I think 3 parks starts to tip the scale and make things a little more even.
I agree. Disney has an advantage of being able to market their visits as vacation destination on property. All On property with provided transit and entertainment. To not do 4 days at each park would seem wasted.
Universal has that advantage as well now, and a more desirable "Walkable" argument. I'm just not sure how a separated third gate would work here.

If place the Orlando Eye in a Universal park, dress it up with a theme and advertise it as an attraction, charge an additional $40 per theme park ticket, does it get more visitors because it's in the actual theme park rather than a stand alone attraction on international?(Although technically it isn't alone with museum and aquarium)

Status
Not open for further replies.