Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 166 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...that is certainly interesting. The transportation connection totally throws my preconceived notions about the project out of whack, as it looks like some of those side plots may actually be used for resorts. Did not expect that
My thinking as well. Makes sense sense there is already a used to be W Hotel lot on Universal Blvd. Easy Access, and gateway to convention center area resorts.

So hyped I'm shivering with antici...

3eNRq.gif

Well...that is certainly interesting. The transportation connection totally throws my preconceived notions about the project out of whack, as it looks like some of those side plots may actually be used for resorts. Did not expect that

That suprised me too, in a strange way.

It makes me interested of what may be the connection to the large plot, either via trams or by a monorail...

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
I'm very suspicious about the other large lot that is still listed as owned by UCPM III after finding that the two lots fronting Universal Blvd. didn't seem to get updated to being owned by SLRC Holdings until sometime in the last week or two. I'm 99.9% certain those lots were not listed as SLRC properties when I last looked a week or two ago, despite the sale date being listed as 12/16 along with the other SLRC lots. I've been a little less sharp than usual lately, though, so I could have missed that detail, but I don't think I did.

EDIT: I think I may be hazy from some allergy meds I've been taking lately. Looking back through the thread those should have been listed properly. Darn it. Will someone who hasn't been taking meds that make you consistently drowsy confirm or deny my thoughts, please?

Last edited:
I'm betting that this is their "best-case" plan. They're expecting push-back from the county and are trying to get them to settle on a plan that they've been expecting for a while. That's why this information is different from what the insiders expect.

Yes, you make some strong points. A large drop in hotel occupancy would hurt bad. Those are pure profit centers. And DVC looked good for them in the early stages, but the profit is basically front loaded, so they'll be a drag on profits down the road. There are so many fundamental problems in their future. Yes, the theme parks are a worry but they are the least of their worries. It's all the other stuff, loss of hotel occupancy & huge infrastructure costs, which will cause them the most issues. When you get as big as they are with their 26 square miles, the potential to fail always looms large. You can only tighten costs so much, so the revenue flow needs to remain quite high.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future they decide to consolidate some hotels. They could also perhaps convert some moderates to value to help capture a bigger portion of the off property market.

I'm not sure if that number is accurate but I wouldn't be surprised with all the land they've sold off.

Walt's original land purchases equaled 47 square miles.
They have indeed sold off some of that land but they still do own 40 square miles.

I'm betting that this is their "best-case" plan. They're expecting push-back from the county and are trying to get them to settle on a plan that they've been expecting for a while. That's why this information is different from what the insiders expect.

I don't know. I imagine they have talked to people before submitting plans. I can't imagine the first communication with the county is these plans.

I don't know. I imagine they have talked to people before submitting plans. I can't imagine the first communication with the county is these plans.
Oh yeah. I agree. Heck they told some councilmen before they went public with the first sale. Communication creates smoother negotiations, less hard feelings.

Oh yeah. I agree. Heck they told some councilmen before they went public with the first sale. Communication creates smoother negotiations, less hard feelings.

Yep. I would be shocked if the plans aren't approved as is. I have worked with the county before. We are trying to change our gated community to a guarded gate community. It is too large to be just gated and the gate is pretty much useless because people are in and out so much that anyone can tailgate someone else. It was this huge deal because we don't own the land that are call box is on (which was a shock to everyone and a shock to the county we were already gated or already had a call box on this land). The school district owns it. So basically we needed to go thru a ton of red tape to get this going. We had to meet with them with different options and plans. Before anything was recorded or submitted had already met with all the key parties and got their unofficial approval. So we know it will get approved we just need to go thru the last phase of submitting the plans and them voting on it in a public meeting.

Now obviously if someone outside of the county officials opposes this and raises issues that could delay Universal plans then I could see if changing. But if no outside party steps in, I see this getting voted on and passing as is.

Now obviously if someone outside of the county officials opposes this and raises issues that could delay Universal plans then I could see if changing. But if no outside party steps in, I see this getting voted on and passing as is.

I still think Universal more or less sealed this deal with their "opposition" to Skyplex last year. Considering that hideous monstrosity was approved, I can't see any reason as to why Universal's plan won't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.