Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 210 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fuel depot thingy...?

It's in a really terrible spot right by where the two parks meet and causes all kinds of traffic issues. It's a one lane road on the ride you pull into.. but with no turn around, so if you're coming from the wrong way you cant fuel your vehicle.

Edit: The Ash v Evil dead HHN thread reminded me there's some orta big ol' tank over by the parade building. There's some behind the NY facade too and there's a trailer there for the credit union. Maybe over by Dragons itself? The trailer for park ops that's there? They've wanted to demo and redo all that for ages.

Last edited:
In the corner by DC there is a trailer and it looks like a row of something that may be kerosene tanks. Hard to tell from Google maps. Not sure if that is where @epcyclopedia i talking about or not. I wish Nearmap was still accessible...

Reactions: Joel
With regards to the DC rights, could Marvel say that it's a conflict of interest and use that as a reason to pull the rights with Uni seeing as DC and Marvel are both rivals.

With regards to the DC rights, could Marvel say that it's a conflict of interest and use that as a reason to pull the rights with Uni seeing as DC and Marvel are both rivals.
Naw, there's no real mechanism to withdraw from the contract for that reason, especially if the offending DC Land is in a separate park (the new one).

I'd keep an eye on it in a few years; at some point the Warner-Six Flags agreements will come up to renegotiation; there's at least a small chance that Universal (or who knows maybe Legoland) could talk to them about building out a Florida exemption from the Six Flag's US DC rights.

I think it's worth Universal setting aside some expansion land for specifically in the new park. Set aside a large land's worth of acreage and show it to Warner and tell them you'd build them Metropolis/Gotham etc. I think they'd bite on that if it's a significant enough opportunity (which it would be).

Heck, Warner would make more money on just a DC Land in the new park than they probably do from all their Six Flags' US DC rights... That alone is a reason for carving Florida out in the next agreement and working with Universal.

Reactions: Joel
Naw, there's no real mechanism to withdraw from the contract for that reason, especially if the offending DC Land is in a separate park (the new one).

I'd keep an eye on it in a few years; at some point the Warner-Six Flags agreements will come up to renegotiation; there's at least a small chance that Universal (or who knows maybe Legoland) could talk to them about building out a Florida exemption from the Six Flag's US DC rights.

I think it's worth Universal setting aside some expansion land for specifically in the new park. Set aside a large land's worth of acreage and show it to Warner and tell them you'd build them Metropolis/Gotham etc. I think they'd bite on that if it's a significant enough opportunity (which it would be).

Heck, Warner would make more money on just a DC Land in the new park than they probably do from all their Six Flags' US DC rights... That alone is a reason for carving Florida out in the next agreement and working with Universal.

There would be a lot of wiggle room for the current contracts I'd imagine. I don't think Six Flags have any intention of heading to Florida so what Universal does with the IP is of little concern to Six Flags. Maybe a deal gets made that Universal can make a DC land and Six Flags gets a clone of their ride or something.

Would Uni be interested in only the Florida rights to DC though? If it was any kind of success(and why do it at all if you don't think it would be), they'd want to port it to USH as well. I can't imagine SF would agree to terms that would allow that with SFMM just up the road. So if they knew it was limited to Florida only, would that sour Uni on it?

Would Uni be interested in only the Florida rights to DC though? If it was any kind of success(and why do it at all if you don't think it would be), they'd want to port it to USH as well. I can't imagine SF would agree to terms that would allow that with SFMM just up the road. So if they knew it was limited to Florida only, would that sour Uni on it?
I don't think it'd sour Universal because we're talking about the context of a new Orlando park, and it's more like Universal needs more content in Orlando given its future size (feeding 3 full dry theme parks and possibly a 4th way down the road if a 2nd full resort is built).

It's more similar to Pandora-Disney than WWoHP in that respect; Orlando needs extra content that doesn't necessarily have to appear elsewhere, so I think Universal would consider a Florida-only package (as would Legoland or anybody else involved).

If Universal were to hold one of its future expansion lands (say 12-15 acres) on the new park in waiting for a DC Land, I think it makes too much sense for both sides. An Orlando DC Land could probably prove as lucrative as current Six Flags-Warner contract is for Warner. And it'd be a great flag marker to make a new DC Land the main attraction in Orlando vis-a-vis Marvel which is sort of tied down by the Disney-Universal rivalry.

Reactions: fryoj
I don't think it'd sour Universal because we're talking about the context of a new Orlando park, and it's more like Universal needs more content in Orlando given its future size (feeding 3 full dry theme parks and possibly a 4th way down the road if a 2nd full resort is built).

It's more similar to Pandora-Disney than WWoHP in that respect; Orlando needs extra content that doesn't necessarily have to appear elsewhere, so I think Universal would consider a Florida-only package (as would Legoland or anybody else involved).

If Universal were to hold one of its future expansion lands (say 12-15 acres) on the new park in waiting for a DC Land, I think it makes too much sense for both sides. An Orlando DC Land could probably prove as lucrative as current Six Flags-Warner contract is for Warner. And it'd be a great flag marker to make a new DC Land the main attraction in Orlando vis-a-vis Marvel which is sort of tied down by the Disney-Universal rivalry.
Site B is close enough to SeaWorld that once they're bankrupt Uni can buy that land for a 4th park.

Site B is close enough to SeaWorld that once they're bankrupt Uni can buy that land for a 4th park.
Why not just build two parks on Site B and if they wanted to purchase SW, close SW and use that land for something else while keeping Discovery Cove and Aquatica open as those are the best assets there along with land. The actual park is barely worth it at this point.

Depending on the price they could get it for of course.

At the moment, the most optimal plan is probably to just buy more undeveloped land around the 475 acre package they already got. We all know of Stan Thomas' 800 acres, but there's also some other parcels around that are undeveloped.

And in the distant future, who knows whether Lockheed will ever choose to move; corporate shuffles do happen from time to time but that'd open a major parcel as well.

As far as SeaWorld goes, given their debt issues and public image issues, anything is possible. They may look to sell some of the parks (especially the ones in the most difficult markets like Orlando is and will be more difficult after the 2nd resort begins to take shape nearby) if it comes to that.

Reactions: Mike S
Why not just build two parks on Site B and if they wanted to purchase SW, close SW and use that land for something else while keeping Discovery Cove and Aquatica open as those are the best assets there along with land. The actual park is barely worth it at this point.

Depending on the price they could get it for of course.

That's what I'd do. Why pay to demolish a park when you have enough empty land to build from scratch?

I think that on one of the larger expansion pads they will build into the 4th gate, they should make a temporary "Flex Field" event space. It could be used for short term events like a renaissance faire-esqe Game of Thrones Festival. Or Pokemon Go! events. And if they move HHNs to the 4th gate, it could be HHNs main hub.

Big field, flanked by restrooms on both sides, and an underground power supply grid for ODV, merch carts, and tents.

Status
Not open for further replies.