Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 132 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MQYXqDQ.jpg

I made this a while back if you want a visual.
That would be a beautiful sight to see. Thank you for making that. It would be one long arrow that's pointing the way to Universal. One thing Uni would have and Disney doesn't is an I4 grab. Imagine drivin down I4 and seeing Uni's skyline, a 200 ft volcano, and then a long flashy monorail.

You make good points. It may cost a bit of money, but it will be worth it in all the money they save by keeping guests on property (should it happen).
One thing we DO know about Uni is their method of getting a high quality product for less money. It would be an investment but it would pay off. That land itself could have cost them 100s of million of dollars had they not slipped an got it. Now they can use the 200-300 million they probably saved and invest it into transportation costs.

My other other thought is that the vast majority didn't even know about the land acquisition. With news getting out, all signs are pointing to 3rd park and expansions. Comcast can sit back and let the increase of stock sales pay for all of this.

Bravo you all. Bravo.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if they also got some kind of tax write offs or some kind of assistance putting up a monorail rather than bus system for being green, decreasing carbon footprint, etc.
I didn't even think of that but I agree. The city helped foot a bill for a nature pedestrian bridge. No way will they not pitch in for a monorail. Despite the fact that it's Universal's, any transport system will increase consumer mobility over that I drive area

My hope is we get a monorail and an elaborate bus system. As boring as buses are, they're necessary to help appease capacity from the monorail, and are extra necessary upon breakdowns. Although, hopefully Uni would have more upkeep to their monorail system to prevent that.

Also, does anybody know what a price tag for all of this would be? I have no idea how much it costs for parks to be built, so how much would it approximately cost for a new park, entertainment district, TTC-type area (for WNW plot?) and transportation system?

They do have experience creating a raised rail with Hogwarts Express. That couldn't have been cheap at all, so it must be plausible that they would do it. Who was the company that built that system? Do they also build monorails?

They do have experience creating a raised rail with Hogwarts Express. That couldn't have been cheap at all, so it must be plausible that they would do it. Who was the company that built that system? Do they also build monorails?
Honestly, why couldn't they use the same system? Does it have to be a monorail?

"The current monorails were installed in 1991, completing the modernization of the Walt Disney World monorail system" :doh:

Just as a point of comparison, the JTA (Jacksonville) just voted to accept the recommendation to replace the Bombardier monorail vehicles in service here because it is impossible to get parts or have them serviced (they are having to cannibalize some of the existing vehicles to keep the current set available). While a different class than the Disney monorail, they were put in service in 1997.

Reactions: Mike S
Just as a point of comparison, the JTA (Jacksonville) just voted to accept the recommendation to replace the Bombardier monorail vehicles in service here because it is impossible to get parts or have them serviced (they are having to cannibalize some of the existing vehicles to keep the current set available). While a different class than the Disney monorail, they were put in service in 1997.

Oh dear. Bombardier doesn't support their products with parts?

Oh dear. Bombardier doesn't support their products with parts?
Well that's over simplifying the situation. The government of Jacksonville was warned repeatedly by Bombardier that the people mover technology they were using needed to be replaced because the technology is old, unreliable, and requires constant maintenance. The gov decided they did not care and just let the system slowly die. Bombardier does support their products, just not the ones used by a tiny singular inner city service that gets almost no riders in the middle of the most car focused city in Florida.

Something I've thought more about is an alternate route for any elevated transit. Even though Universal Blvd. was planned with a good amount of space in the middle (indeed likely for an elevated transit option), how it was built and how it has developed since has either shrunk medians considerably or even removed them entirely, especially the northern half of the road. I actually think an alternate route that doesn't follow Universal Blvd. may be a more feasible/likely option, and here it is: A new addition to the parking garage hub of a monorail station (dual tracked, not closed loop, at least not at the current resort end, not enough room for a turnaround) basically covering most of the bus loop. The track would follow along the east side of Universal Blvd. to a stop at the WnW development. From here it would head south east behind the hotel through the current parking lot and "junk" land crossing Carrier Dr. and now running alongside Kirkman and crossing Sand Lake. Here's where there are two options for a route; either follow the west side of the Lockheed road and pull into the station in the middle of the south resort area, or you can follow the east side along the planned Kirkman extension and end in the same spot using a little bit less track.

Status
Not open for further replies.