Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs | Page 66 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It may have been before opening... I just remember that the attraction was getting a severe rap already... and the banner just had everyone rolling their eyes and wondering if it had been cursed. I also remember one of the times I visited a month later and a car had bottomed out on the first drop and it was shut down. It was not however a tornado. Nothing else was damaged in the storm that pulled through, and it wasn't as bad a storm as this last one... by a long shot.

I think that banner was actually ripped due to a very weak storm, nothing quite like the 60mph winds we had last week. I can understand it being torn in those conditions, but a typical Florida storm... I remember they changed the design as well and it was made of weaker material and not fastened the same way. That's why the replacement took much longer.

From Universal News -- April 8 - 21, 2013

IOAEntrance-009.jpg

From Meetings Focus

Rooms for Improvement: Orlando Resort Wraps Guest Room Revamp

April 2013

ORLANDO

All 750 rooms and suites at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando have been completely renovated with a Mediterranean-inspired design.

The massive $14 million renovation project took more than 5,000 gallons of paint, nearly 45,000 total work hours and more than 35,000 yards of carpeting to complete.

Featuring cobblestone piazzas, outdoor cafés and a nightly balcony show, Loews Portofino Bay Hotel is located on-site at Universal Orlando Resort and is connected to Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal CityWalk by a scenic waterway. Hotel guests enjoy three themed swimming pools, seven restaurants and lounges, a spa and an exclusive package of theme park benefits.

The resort also boasts 42,000 square feet of meeting and function space.

We love Portofino. When we were there last May, they were just starting up the remodeling of rooms and the outside facades & windows. We'll be back for 2 weeks in late September. Glad it will be finished before we arrive. The rooms really didn't look of need to be updated, so their standards must really be high. But the outside facades did need a bit of a touch up in a few spots.