1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Universal raises Parking prices (Oct 2018)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Universal' started by Bobharlem, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Teebin

Teebin Legendary Member

Too, what are the parking fees for surfside/dockside.

therock likes this.
  2. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

They were $14 per vehicle.

But $26.. ridiculous. $25 should have seriously been the endcap for parking.

therock, Coasted and SeventyOne like this.
  3. Spaulding

Spaulding Rookie

Actually cancelled our rental car for our trip in September last week due to parking prices.
    Between the hotel and parks charging $25 a day each, the total came to something like $600 for a 14 day trip. That's on top of $500 for the car itself.

Uber/Lyft it is!

truejonas, therock, Coasted and 2 others like this.
  4. Jonea32

Jonea32 Rookie

Yes I came to this decision last time we went for that amount of time and we actually found it a blessing in disguise to be honest! $26 is way too much to park a vehicle for the day, I really do feel for the families who save up a small fortune on tickets/hotels/car hire/flights only to turn up and realise how high parking costs are!

Edit: Travel agents tend to heavily promote renting a vehicle over Lyft/Uber (as they are getting a cut of the profits) so I'd expect ~80/90% of first time visiters to be hiring a car as they may not realise/research there is an another easily accessible option.

Coasted and SeventyOne like this.
  5. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

Coming from the UK with the crappy exchange rate and increase in parking prices, the parking charge is now 3x what it was in 2012.

That is ridiculous.

6. JunoSynth

JunoSynth Rookie

Upper middle class won't be able to afford trips at this rate.

therock likes this.
  7. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

The bright side is there are ways around this (Uber, stay 0n-site, neighbor hotels offering transport)

truejonas likes this.
  8. Coasted

Coasted Rookie

If customer parks at Surf/dockside, drives to UOR do you pay twice! or would $26 cover both?

I think WDW you only pay once, but granted they have way more land for parking (have always stayed offsite so do not know)

9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

pay twice....hotel rate for hotel....$26 for resort garage

Coasted likes this.
  10. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

Staying on site at a luxury hotel works out more expensive.

I calculated on my last trip it would be about the same price getting a car compared to getting an Uber about but the conscience of being able to go when I choose is better.

11. Spaulding

Spaulding Rookie

I did some sums recently and it was $1,100 for car plus insurance plus parking for 14 days . Uber is looking at roughly $5-700, depending on whether you can use Disney buses or not, for the same period. Obviously depends how much hopping around you do as well.

12. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

This was when Disney wasn’t charging for parking at their hotels. I got the car pretty cheap too.

With Disney now charging, it will probably be more expensive for a car.

SeventyOne and Spaulding like this.
  13. bob albert

bob albert Veteran Member

I have walked many miles to avoid parking and car charges. Time is money and I have time plus I can argue universal vacations are actually a way for me to lose weight. For families with kids that get tired it sucks tho.

14. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

Grand scheme of things, Universal absolutely does not want non-hotel guest to park at the hotels (see visitor rates at Aventura for instance).

Also, staying on site is only like $17 a night, unless something has drastically changed that I don't know about

Coasted likes this.
  15. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Deluxes are mid 20's. The others are less, though each different.

therock and SeventyOne like this.
  16. TheDr

TheDr Newcomer

We just visited for 14 days and it was cheaper upgrading one of our tickets to AP than it was to pay parking. Included valet parking which was handy, plus some of the other perks

Seriously hope the exchange rate improves soon :thud:

Jeepers Reaper and Coasted like this.
  17. xxbrothawizxx

xxbrothawizxx Newcomer

Where do you park?

The last time I had a pass, power included free parking. Now that it's only half off, I'm considering just going with the cheapest option and finding the right place to walk from or Uber.

18. bob albert

bob albert Veteran Member

I downgraded to the seasonal pass. cheapest option is pretty much it. What I do is priceline/hotwire the hotels in the universal resort area (the hotels just east of universal). Got the Hyatt suites for 75 a night once, comfort in for like 55 with tax a few trips. I could have gotten the double tree one time for 70 per night but the parking killed it. I did get the best western by wet and wild a few times for about 55 per night but that was when parking was free on power pass and a bit of a far walk. They have a partner shuttle though.

A lot of times you will end up with a partner hotel on the express/hot rates as long as it is rated a 7+ that have some shuttles. Even with a few ubers if you are trying to budget it is worth it. I started going to universal because I figured with the season pass, cheap flights from the northeast, cheap but ok hotels, and planning I could do 4 day trips for about $700 twice a year solo and even less with guests all inclusive.