Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It? | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’ve tried to be clear. By the way, what we’re discussing are usually not reports of individual negative interactions with cast members, it’s usually much broader, more sweeping judgements based on those subjective experiences - “The quality of Universal employees has declined,” “Universal has bad employee training,” “ “Universal’s employees behavior is worse then Disney’s.” Those are all broad assumptions based on subjective experiences, not just “an opinion of an experience [they] received.” These broader statements strike me as far less defensible then saying, “Cutting IOA streetmosphere is likely being done to reduce costs based on the behavior of almost every publicly traded company in history.”
Catching up here. Gotta be honest, got a bit confused during this last leg, so I went back to the initial post.
I’ve always found it very odd on here that criticism of cast members tends to get a lot less pushback then criticism of the management that controls the budgets and establishes policies.
I think what you are saying is you want the moderating to be the same for those who critique team members and those who critique management. Is that correct?

Reactions: Casper Gutman
I’ve tried to be clear. By the way, what we’re discussing are usually not reports of individual negative interactions with cast members, it’s usually much broader, more sweeping judgements based on those subjective experiences - “The quality of Universal employees has declined,” “Universal has bad employee training,” “ “Universal’s employees behavior is worse then Disney’s.” Those are all broad assumptions based on subjective experiences, not just “an opinion of an experience [they] received.” These broader statements strike me as far less defensible then saying, “Cutting IOA streetmosphere is likely being done to reduce costs based on the behavior of almost every publicly traded company in history.”
I get there are experiences people have that can’t be refuted and I think that’s your point. I’m certainly not going to sit here and say that TM service quality is where it should be or operations are where they need to be.

However, you are trying to make what is ultimately a fairly complex company wide issue and way oversimplifying it. This isn’t something that will be an extremely easy undertaking to fix when you consider the amount of staff UOR has now and then counter that with a lack of a large candidate pool to choose from.

Reactions: Nico and Cygnus
Catching up here. Gotta be honest, got a bit confused during this last leg, so I went back to the initial post.

I think what you are saying is you want the moderating to be the same for those who critique team members and those who critique management. Is that correct?
I apologize for dragging this on and I’m not sure my point is that profound, but yes, I think I’d agree with your summary - with the caveat that I don’t think either needs to be moderated unless they become abusive. I just have a lot of sympathy for frontline cast members, as I’m sure you and Brian do as well, and think they get too much flak here sometimes. I think the cast remains a tremendous highlight of the resort and I can get defensive on the point.

I think Nick may have completely misunderstood me, which is an apt indictment of my clarity.

I apologize for dragging this on and I’m not sure my point is that profound, but yes, I think I’d agree with your summary - with the caveat that I don’t think either needs to be moderated unless they become abusive. I just have a lot of sympathy for frontline cast members, as I’m sure you and Brian do as well, and think they get too much flak here sometimes. I think the cast remains a tremendous highlight of the resort and I can get defensive on the point.

I think Nick may have completely misunderstood me, which is an apt indictment of my clarity.
I appreciate that! We want all team members to be respected on the site. Especially since many use it. If you see any abuse towards tms, feel free to use the report button and we will check it out.

My dream is that one day we’ll have a Jaybangs level book about this period. I think we can all probably agree that the stories behind the scenes must be wild.

I appreciate that! We want all team members to be respected on the site. Especially since many use it. If you see any abuse towards tms, feel free to use the report button and we will check it out.

My dream is that one day we’ll have a Jaybangs level book about this period. I think we can all probably agree that the stories behind the scenes must be wild.
Great point. Yes, it probably would be very interesting reading,

Reactions: belloq87 and Nico
Vamos! is definitely more popular - my wife and I watched it probably 3 or 4 separate times this past trip. She actively searched for the show times on the app because she loved it so much.
Vamos is a pretty good show. But I love music shows, especially with talented singers. At least Celestina Warbeck is still there and the Blues Brothers, although the quality of Sing It was much higher than Blues Brothers was imo.

• Wow
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Now everyone get together and hug it out! ;)

All in all, TM/CM interactions are definitely anecdotal. I've had some Uni TMs that definitely clearly didn't care about their job that much (I don't blame them), but I've also had similar experiences over at Disney.

We had a CM at Aloha Isle in September who was straight up MEAN, lol

I think it really depends on the specific position too - I mean I expect all TMs/CMs to be friendly, but I don't really mind if they don't seem overly enthusiastic about some jobs. I surely wouldn't be enthusiastic if I were the guy trying to explain how Freestyle cups work for the 50th time that day. :lmao:

Now everyone get together and hug it out! ;)

All in all, TM/CM interactions are definitely anecdotal. I've had some Uni TMs that definitely clearly didn't care about their job that much (I don't blame them), but I've also had similar experiences over at Disney.

We had a CM at Aloha Isle in September who was straight up MEAN, lol

I think it really depends on the specific position too - I mean I expect all TMs/CMs to be friendly, but I don't really mind if they don't seem overly enthusiastic about some jobs. I surely wouldn't be enthusiastic if I were the guy trying to explain how Freestyle cups work for the 50th time that day. :lmao:
On the very rare occasion I have a negative interaction with a cast member at either Disney or Uni, it’s almost always been because management has failed them, either by making them enforce poorly-thought-out or guest-unfriendly policies or failing to provide adaquate staffing so individual cast members are completely overwhelmed.

With only a few exceptions, CM's and TM's have been very cordial and friendly to us over the years. Before covid I'd have rated them equally when it comes to knowledge of the park's daily operations. Since covid though, for whatever reasons, TM's don't seem as familiar with operations/policies as they were before covid. Seems like there may be park communication and/or training gaps. ....But overall, on a personal level, both parks' employees have been pretty decent.

With only a few exceptions, CM's and TM's have been very cordial and friendly to us over the years. Before covid I'd have rated them equally when it comes to knowledge of the park's daily operations. Since covid though, for whatever reasons, TM's don't seem as familiar with operations/policies as they were before covid. Seems like there may be park communication and/or training gaps. ....But overall, on a personal level, both parks' employees have been pretty decent.
Universal seems to be very bad about getting important information to cast members (and thus guests). I’ve had Uni cast make multiple calls and fail to find information (for instance, when the Coconut Club would be closed). The Cast has always been very courteous and apologetic. This is entirely a management issue.

I probably should have posted this in September when I got home but the resort is in bad shape, I'm just going to bulletpoint most of this.

Having Express Pass makes you realise just how little there is to do in the parks. I also never realised just how bad IOA is when it's cold or a storm rolls in. I don't think I spent more than 3 hours in any park at a time with the exception of HHN with it's watered down drinks where I somehow managed to drink non stop and left more sober than when I entered.

I had mentioned on Twitter a while back what I would remove from the parks. Everything in red goes.

And that's before I even get to how bad the food and service is. Hotel staff were barely ok, the food was shockingly bad.

Bigfire was awful, so was Toothsome. One of the best meals I had was at Hard Rock which kind of says everything. The Freestyle machines were almost constantly out of ice.

I don't know how Universal gets away with this while Disney gets called out at every chance. It's in bad enough shape that it does make me worry about Epic opening. If they can't get the service right, this is going to be 4 out of 4 park opening failures in Orlando.

I understand that everyone has their own tastes and preferences, but some of this seems incredibly silly to me.

Basically 75% of IoA needs to "go"? MSHI, with Spider-Man at it's best and a retracked, rethemed Incredible Hulk coaster? All of Suess Landing, an incredibly charming land with a great play-area, a book store where kids can sit and read whatever Dr. Suess books they'd like, the Trolleys, lots of little walkthroughs and details, and a really well-done Spinner flat? All of Toon Lagoon?

I understand thinking that things need updating or refurbishment. CitH is pretty rough at the moment and could use a Mummy-style ground up renovation at some point, and a Grinch family coaster would really complete the land. I think a good number of the Meet n Greet costumes for the heroes are very low quality and ill-fitting, and Dr. Doom isn't too special. The water rides in Toon Lagoon are also kind of busted, but some love like E.T. and MiB are getting could help those quite a bit. Honestly I believe the facade for the drop of Dudley's is the most slept-on bit of theme park design ever. The entire land is really well put together and a loving tribute to a very niche medium and set of IPs, but that drop section with the layered mountains, Mt. Rushmore-style head sculpts, Cartoony flume with "Bang! Bonk! Pop!" sound effects playing as tubs fly by, and everything else is honestly really incredible to watch imho. Outside of layering Spongebob theming on the rides and street plus a stage show to go along with it, I struggle with how Toon Lagoon needs help. How many of these faults are worth scrapping 75% of the park for?

I understand some of your points, and I'll be charitable and assume that that specific post was partially made in jest (even if there isn't much to help that assumption from my point of view), but honestly those claims about IoA do cause some hesitation to honestly accept the rest of your opinions. I do think the bones of USF are built strangely, and that a lot of the park is not at the best it could be. It is far, far from perfect atm, and a lot of it can and should go. There is a lot about the Florida parks that can and should change. But to look at Islands of Adventure, which I honestly believe to currently be one of the current peaks in the entire industry of themed entertainment, and say that the vast majority of it needs to go, well, what kind of park would you like? What sort of masterpiece destination park would need to be built to fulfill those kinds of expectations?

Universal seems to be very bad about getting important information to cast members (and thus guests). I’ve had Uni cast make multiple calls and fail to find information (for instance, when the Coconut Club would be closed). The Cast has always been very courteous and apologetic. This is entirely a management issue.
After seeing several managers hide from the torrential downpour during HHN opening night last year while leaving poor TMs out in the rain holding up the Stay & Scream signs with no protection/clothing, it made me realize just how appalling management is at the resort. That downpour came out of nowhere... but a manager at some point should have realized there might be TMs left out in the street with no protection.

That issue wasn't a one-off. A few days later, saw a poor TM nearly pass out because they didn't give her an umbrella/fan at the Today Cafe stay & scream.

Before HHN, during AP Appreciation Night, they left TMs and APs out in an extended queue in front of Hard Rock in the Florida Heat in the middle of August with no fans, umbrellas, or water. When several of us complained about the heat/lack of shade, they finally offered us water... for $6... with no AP discount offered lol. Temp was 93 that day, can't imagine what the index was.

After seeing several managers hide from the torrential downpour during HHN opening night last year while leaving poor TMs out in the rain holding up the Stay & Scream signs with no protection/clothing, it made me realize just how appalling management is at the resort. That downpour came out of nowhere... but a manager at some point should have realized there might be TMs left out in the street with no protection.

That issue wasn't a one-off. A few days later, saw a poor TM nearly pass out because they didn't give her an umbrella/fan at the Today Cafe stay & scream.

Before HHN, during AP Appreciation Night, they left TMs and APs out in an extended queue in front of Hard Rock in the Florida Heat in the middle of August with no fans, umbrellas, or water. When several of us complained about the heat/lack of shade, they finally offered us water... for $6... with no AP discount offered lol. Temp was 93 that day, can't imagine what the index was.

But there's no management problem at Universal Orlando, or so we hear....... Sounding like a bad culture :worried:

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
But there's no management problem at Universal Orlando, or so we hear....... Sounding like a bad culture :worried:
There are different management levels though. The managers deciding to get rid of paper maps, replace attractions, or not add shows are not the same level of management that fails to provide ponchos to TMs in a storm or provide umbrellas in the heat.

It’s entirely likely that upper management isn’t even aware of these sorts of issues. The C-Suite isn’t going to go to HHN in a storm. THAT’S a cultural issue though, and always has been at Universal.

Universal’s culture has always prided itself on being somewhat “counter” to Disney to a fault. That wasn’t just a branding thing. It was an edgier climate behind the scenes and has impacted almost every facet of the parks. I’ve mentioned before that most of Universal’s upper management came on while the park was a struggling regional complex. They developed their management styles when survival was the priority or when unemployment was high. Because they don’t have 40 years of customer service traditions (or the deified standards of a totalitarian creator), they’re just a regional park that grew into an international destination. Their customer service isn’t at Disney standards because it’s never wanted to be to Disney’s standards.

Last edited:
There are different management levels though. The managers deciding to get rid of paper maps, replace attractions, or not add shows are not the same level of management that fails to provide ponchos to TMs in a storm or provide umbrellas in the heat.

It’s entirely likely that upper management isn’t even aware of these sorts of issues. The C-Suite isn’t going to go to HHN in a storm. THAT’S a cultural issue though, and always has been at Universal.

Universal’s culture has always prided itself on being somewhat “counter” to Disney to a fault. That wasn’t just a branding thing. It was an edgier climate behind the scenes and has impacted almost every facet of the parks. I’ve mentioned before that most of Universal’s upper management came on while the park was a struggling regional complex. They developed their management styles when survival was the priority or when unemployment was high. Because they don’t have 40 years of customer service traditions (or the deified standards of a totalitarian creator), they’re just a regional park that grew into an international destination. Their customer service isn’t at Disney standards because it’s never wanted to be to Disney’s standards.

Well aware of the different levels of management. My point is that the overall management structure of Universal isn't as solid as it should be which leads to these unfortunate situations.

Comcast has owned the parks for 15 years now, their rough history doesn't excuse the problems of today. They are motivated more than ever to invest in the parks division, but we're not seeing that enthusiasm stretch into other vital sections of operating a theme park.

I'm not expecting Disney standards, but when Universal prices themselves at a similar price point to them, it welcomes comparison.

You make some real good points. Some of those same points, insular, survival, same group, etc. were brought up in Genneway's two books on Universal. The overall Universal Studios mgt. style, even before Florida parks, were always predicated on hard core strongarming and individual loyalties to a fault. 'Never show weakness', the credo. Main reason that they didn't give in to the Warner request for a seemingly insignificant amount of extra money (in the thousands) for the IP rights to DC, cartoons etc......And then the survival after all the different owners after the first acquisitions of Universal. Loyalty & survival & insular tight cliques. Let the minions eat cake. Definitely a different mgt. culture. I've been wondering for a while how much of that old guard continues to exist since the changeover after covid. All of these seemingly last minute decisions might be due to new vs. old internal group divisions, or maybe they're not. Is there real consensus? Interesting, whatever the real answer is, behind the curtain.

Last edited:
You make some real good points. Some of those same points, insular, survival, same group, etc. were brought up in Genneway's two books on Universal. The overall Universal Studios mgt. style, even before Florida parks, were always predicated on hard core strongarming and individual loyalties to a fault. 'Never show weakness', the credo. Main reason that they didn't give in to the Warner request for a seemingly insignificant amount of extra money (in the thousands) for the IP rights to DC, cartoons etc......And then the survival after all the different owners after the first acquisitions of Universal. Loyalty & survival & insular tight cliques. Let the minions eat cake. Definitely a different mgt. culture. I've been wondering for a while how much of that old guard continues to exist since the changeover after covid. All of these seemingly last minute decisions might be due to new vs. old internal group divisions, or maybe they're not. Is there real consensus? Interesting, whatever the real answer is, behind the curtain.
Definitely a good book.

Definitely a good book.
Both books. Jaybangs slightly better than the first. I like how Jay refutes a few of the Execs from the first book who he said took false credit for what others actually did. And they were some of the big prominent names.......This is like unfolding a mystery, trying to figure out where certain types of decisions are coming from. I'm not a insider and only have private insider info from some friends who are insiders. And they all just have pieces of some puzzles. Not hardly anyone out there, besides Alicia, that knows as much as Teebin used to know, or they're not talking. Anyway, I asked Jonathan a question on another thread when the subject of past and present entertainment cuts at Hollywood popped up. Contrary to what a couple of other posters from the Hollywood side have said, he said he doesn't think Karen instituted the Hollywood entertainment cuts in 2018 and 2019 when she was the Prez there.. He thinks two others were involved that are still with Universal in some capacity ( Did either come east with Karen or get elevated to a position outside of USH?).. His info and thoughts are usually pretty right on, so if what he thinks is correct, that changes the way I'm looking at behind the scenes management stuff in USO. If Karen isn't pushing some of this agenda that isn't very guest friendly, then where is it coming from. Is it the new guard mgt. people, the old guard mgt. people, or Comcast/Universal Execs. ? Perhaps I've been blaming the wrong group. From my many years experience of running organizations, these constant last minute decisions appears as a red flag to me that there's issues, for one reason or another, on reaching an overall consensus. Anyway, I'm reevaluating some of my thoughts on this, but I'm watching intently.....I just want my unique, old, leisurely, fun Universal Experience back. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico and belloq87

As a former team member, Universal does need to work on how they treat employees. It felt like we had no support from management, both upper and ride specific.

As a former team member, Universal does need to work on how they treat employees. It felt like we had no support from management, both upper and ride specific.
And yeah… that’s always been a concern.

I stopped going to Universal/actively supporting them, after I realized that their structure for using active backups encouraged employees to wait around for two hours without pay to find out if you were working that night (at which point, you would get paid for the two hours).

Its culture was very much “grind or die.” I think the expectations from fans (if not guests) have changed, and the culture hasn’t changed with it.

There is a very real disconnect in large organizations between senior leaders and the work force. And even if senior leaders know about problems it’s very easy for middle managers to not actually fix anything.