Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It? | Page 40 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Attendance report finally came out for 2023... UOR down 9%, WDW up 4%
1723733211408.png

Epic will artificially improve USF/IOA's attendance for a year or two... but after that some serious investment will need to be made in the existing parks.

Reactions: Mad Dog
View attachment 22991

Epic will artificially improve USF/IOA's attendance for a year or two... but after that some serious investment will need to be made in the existing parks.
Is it really an artificial boost to open up an entire new park? It gives them a whole new line to show new attendance.

I think most of this comes down to pricing and inflation. Comcast is still looking to invest in the parks so I'm not too concerned.

Is it really an artificial boost to open up an entire new park? It gives them a whole new line to show new attendance.
USF & IOA will benefit from Epic's opening with people buying multi-day tickets to include all parks while visiting Epic Universe as the main draw. UOR attendance will 100% increase next year... but for how many years? The newness will wear off after 2 years, but after that there will be serious investment required at USF.

I think most of this comes down to pricing and inflation. Comcast is still looking to invest in the parks so I'm not too concerned.
Pricing & Inflation are certainly impacting the parks (and 2024's attendance report will showcase that for both resorts) but WDW attendance did increase 4%, and they also had increased pricing. I'm not concerned about a lack of investment at the Universal parks, but I am worried that USF won't see the investment needed until as far back as 2029-30 (Pokemon) according to insiders, which leaves USF at a dire state for far too long.

Comcast has been brilliant with every move so far, so I'm hoping they continue to be aggressive.

Edit- Adding for Context: Newness of new experiences typically last 2 years. (yes, Epic is bigger, but starting in 2027 there will be serious competition)
IOA Attendance Increases Post-Hogsmeade:
2010: +29%
2011: +29%
2012: +4%
2013: +2%
2014: Flat

USF Attendance Increases Post-Diagon:
2014: +17%
2015: +16%
2016: +4%
2017: +2%

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBlonde
USF & IOA will benefit from Epic's opening with people buying multi-day tickets to include all parks while visiting Epic Universe as the main draw.
Universal may well try to employ some tomfoolery in order to goose the appearance of attendance at the current resort.

But I would be very, very surprised if there are not fewer bodies physically walking around USF next year once Epic opens. And, frankly, I think that would be a good thing, to illustrate to Universal that the park needs continued attraction investment on a much larger scale than it's gotten in the last five years*.

*I'd really argue 10 years in terms of quality, but it can't be denied that they spent some money on Fallon and Supercharged. They didn't spend it wisely, but they spent it.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Universal may well try to employ some tomfoolery in order to goose the appearance of attendance at the current resort.

But I would be very, very surprised if there are not fewer bodies physically walking around USF next year once Epic opens. And, frankly, I think that would be a good thing, to illustrate to Universal that the park needs continued attraction investment on a much larger scale than it's gotten in the last five years*.

*I'd really argue 10 years in terms of quality, but it can't be denied that they spent some money on Fallon and Supercharged. They didn't spend it wisely, but they spent it.
Yeah, let me be clear, they have invested into USF over the past decade, but only Transformers/Diagon/Fast Food Boulevard made an actual impact. Universal obviously learned their lesson by giving UC more leverage over what gets built (not forcing synergy into the parks), but it's time to start fixing some mistakes.

In addition to fixing their mistakes, I think USF will benefit from getting an enhanced identity instead of a "whatever IP fits here" mix of attractions and mini-lands. Not saying you can't have IP in the parks, but their additions to have be taken seriously, not slap a logo on the building.

Reactions: Jake S and belloq87
It may not have made an impact, but I think The Bourne Stuntacular is the best attraction USF has opened since Revenge of the Mummy. I wouldn't have expected it to move the needle in a dramatic way, but I am a bit disappointed it's kind of gotten lost in the wash.

View attachment 22991

Well now that’s interesting. I think my theory that Epic may have the greatest impact / cannibalization on USF and DHS may not be that far off.

It may not have made an impact, but I think The Bourne Stuntacular is the best attraction USF has opened since Revenge of the Mummy. I wouldn't have expected it to move the needle in a dramatic way, but I am a bit disappointed it's kind of gotten lost in the wash.

It opened during COVID. We're 4 years removed from that at this point. I don't think it got lost as much as it's no longer "The new thing" anymore.

Well now that’s interesting. I think my theory that Epic may have the greatest impact / cannibalization on USF and DHS may not be that far off.

If you want the numbers to fit that narrative, sure!

Reactions: Jake S