Universal Studios Japan General Discussion | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Comcast is in talks to buy a controlling interest in Universal Studios Japan. Comcast sure is serious about this competition with Disney. Seems like a good move. Japan is probably the only sure success foreign market since their culture embraces so much that is American. This has also been a well run park with really great attendance throughout it's history. I would guess there will be more expansions in the Japanese market if this deal goes through......I wonder if this is the reason for the purported Warner King Kong movie deal so Universal could have the rights to Godzilla for an attraction.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is the reason for the purported Warner King Kong movie deal so Universal could have the rights to Godzilla for an attraction.

There is no "deal" with Kong. Universal will have no involvement with Skull Island.

EDIT: Also, Warner Bros would have nothing to do with allowing Uni Godzilla's park rights. That's all Toho

Last edited:
Hmmm... US Japan had a horrid time making a profit prior to Potter. I wonder if that has since changed.
It's now the 5th most attended theme park in the world, I'd imagine it's making bank

The park is currently building a B&M flyer. I like it, but at the same time it's really ruining the sight lines of the park, like Rockit but I'd say much worse

It's now the 5th most attended theme park in the world, I'd imagine it's making bank

The park is currently building a B&M flyer. I like it, but at the same time it's really ruining the sight lines of the park, like Rockit but I'd say much worse

Their sight lines were ruined the second they put in "The Hollywood Dream." Looks like a fun coaster, but man, far worse than Rockit.

I consider Rockit's red to be far more offensive to the eyes. USJ has a much better color palette, I'd say.

Coasters usually ruin sight lines, though. Sometimes (as I've learned) you've just got to ignore them.

I consider Rockit's red to be far more offensive to the eyes. USJ has a much better color palette, I'd say.

Coasters usually ruin sight lines, though. Sometimes (as I've learned) you've just got to ignore them.
Only in Theme Parks. In local Amusement Parks, coasters are typically what make the skyline.

Well, maybe the Japanese aren't so tight assed about "sightlines" and just want fun rides in their parks. They don't start hyperventilating when they see 2 themes together and they are ok to see a ride building or two.
They also will get the Diagon part we got in Orlando so I'm sure Comcast will make it's money back because that park is bonkers crowded.

Reactions: Fatality
Well, maybe the Japanese aren't so tight assed about "sightlines" and just want fun rides in their parks. They don't start hyperventilating when they see 2 themes together and they are ok to see a ride building or two.
They also will get the Diagon part we got in Orlando so I'm sure Comcast will make it's money back because that park is bonkers crowded.
I converse with several theme park fans from Japan over twitter and trust me, they care.

Your comment is just complaining about people complaining anyway. And those "complaining" are doing so with merit. No one is being "tight assed" or really putting much thought into it (this is my first and last comment on it) except for you.

Reactions: Clive
I really don't think this is about "competing with Disney" per se, as much as it is taking on a park that is growing in popularity with locals. I don't think many Japanese people "cross-shop" going to Universal in Osaka vs. going to Disney in Tokyo.

BTW, I'll be going to BOTH places in about 2 months :D

There's gonna be such an over saturation of what i call "flavor of the month" franchises now. I'm all for successful franchises, but not at the expense of completely skewing away from EVERY classic. Especially with the amount they're paying for this large stake in USJ, it's obvious they're gonna make the most of it. I just hope they still pay attention to what the Japanese fans want, as they're a bit different than the American crowds.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a "massive expansion" which will just be them shuttering almost every classic attraction and replacing them.