Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

California, despite having a shelter-in-place order for three weeks, just declared construction as non-essential two days ago. Construction is, generally, considered “essential” until it’s not.
That's because there was a breakout among construction workers and the rest (working on SoFi Stadium specifically) were getting pissed and starting to not show up.

It's very possible a similar situation happens here or wherever construction is currently happening around the country.

Holy crap-- drove past the EU construction site on Universal Blvd this afternoon and they seem to be moving full steam ahead! There was work going on all around the property, and in just the past week they tore out all the trees where the Kirkman Road extension will meet Universal Blvd, right across from the Convention Center, and truck after truck full of fill dirt is going in and unloading. It seems like they are moving faster rather than slowing down or stopping.

Holy crap-- drove past the EU construction site on Universal Blvd this afternoon and they seem to be moving full steam ahead! There was work going on all around the property, and in just the past week they tore out all the trees where the Kirkman Road extension will meet Universal Blvd, right across from the Convention Center, and truck after truck full of fill dirt is going in and unloading. It seems like they are moving faster rather than slowing down or stopping.
That's nice to hear. Didn't the Florida Governor also state that the Sand Lake Road extension would be moved up a few weeks?

Yeah, I was just talking about that and wondered how he knew anything about it...
You mean how the governor knew about that specific project?

EDIT: Also, as a general thing, is there a thread with photos and progress on the construction of IOA?

Last edited:
Yeah, I was just talking about that and wondered how he knew anything about it...
The project the governor said was being accelerated is FDOT's project to widen Sand Lake Road, which is unrelated to Universal and was already scheduled to finish this summer. The only connection it has to Universal is that the Sand Lake widening project needs finish before Universal can start rebuilding the intersection with Kirkman Road.

I heard a number of years ago when it came to theme park (and other large scale) construction in central Florida part of the limiting factor on construction timelines was people and equipment availability. With construction projects elsewhere in the region on pause, Comcast has probably okay'ed spending the money to bring on additional crew and gear to get as far along as possible before either FL shuts down construction or other projects resume.

I heard a number of years ago when it came to theme park (and other large scale) construction in central Florida part of the limiting factor on construction timelines was people and equipment availability. With construction projects elsewhere in the region on pause, Comcast has probably okay'ed spending the money to bring on additional crew and gear to get as far along as possible before either FL shuts down construction or other projects resume.
By my estimation, Universal is going to need about 10 tower cranes. I can't wait to see it.

By my estimation, Universal is going to need about 10 tower cranes. I can't wait to see it.

The recent Beijing photos have got me pumped for construction to go vertical.

Edit: Didn't Disney buy a crane for all the construction they had planned? heh

Last edited:
I mean I was born in 97’, was not aware of the new theme parks being built around my birth time (IOA, AK), so, Epic technically is the first park I am seeing be built up fresh like this. I have never experienced something like this before and it’s really been fun to be a bit part of with all you guys following the rumors, to announcement day, assuming construction isn’t delayed like crazy, the fun is only beginning! Can’t wait to follow this with you guys. This park from the outside sounds literally perfect for me for my needs as a theme park fan and I cannot wait to see/learn more about it. Gonna be special

I mean I was born in 97’, was not aware of the new theme parks being built around my birth time (IOA, AK), so, Epic technically is the first park I am seeing be built up fresh like this. I have never experienced something like this before and it’s really been fun to be a bit part of with all you guys following the rumors, to announcement day, assuming construction isn’t delayed like crazy, the fun is only beginning! Can’t wait to follow this with you guys. This park from the outside sounds literally perfect for me for my needs as a theme park fan and I cannot wait to see/learn more about it. Gonna be special

To be fair, none of us are really used to being able to follow a domestic park being built like this. I say that because, when AK and IOA were built, the internet was not nearly what it is today. Most of our information came from things like The Travel Channel special on IOA or stuff Disney put out themselves. Sure, there were a few forums and whatnot, but not to the level we have now, and not with the type of coverage/photos/inside information we get now. This is exciting for all of us.

In some ways, all the shelter in place, isolate, etc that has brought many of the photos to a grinding halt remind me of the old days, before we had reliable forums with devoted fans/contributors.

To be fair, none of us are really used to being able to follow a domestic park being built like this. I say that because, when AK and IOA were built, the internet was not nearly what it is today. Most of our information came from things like The Travel Channel special on IOA or stuff Disney put out themselves. Sure, there were a few forums and whatnot, but not to the level we have now, and not with the type of coverage/photos/inside information we get now. This is exciting for all of us.

In some ways, all the shelter in place, isolate, etc that has brought many of the photos to a grinding halt remind me of the old days, before we had reliable forums with devoted fans/contributors.
Very true!! This also seems to be a theme park that’s one of a kind to begin with so... things are exciting!

It kills me on the inside that everyone forgets that we just had a new park built in Florida 9 years ago (and a pretty damn good one at that too).

2018.02.21_LEGOLANDFLORIDA_FRONTARCH_003-1600x1067.jpg