Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread | Page 67 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Is it just me, or is construction progressing ridiculously fast? Like it feels like they're aiming for early 2024, NOT summer 2025! They're constructing the smaller buildings and installing the coasters already.
Hulk was done in like 1997. They need to get the rides up so they can build the rest and test.

To add what @Joe said, vertical and track construction are going pretty swift since they'll need a good amount of time to lay on the theming and everything afterwards which can take quite a bit longer to do.

Plus they have to hire and train a full parks worth of staff

edit: and that can't be done until the park (or at least the individual lands) are nearly complete

Reactions: Nico
Is it just me, or is construction progressing ridiculously fast? Like it feels like they're aiming for early 2024, NOT summer 2025! They're constructing the smaller buildings and installing the coasters already.
I was thinking more late 2024 because the road also has to be complete to connect the park to the surrounding areas.

The roads should be done before next fall unless they just drag their feet or have some challenges that aren't evident from the aerials. Bridges are going to take the most time.

The rest of the park.... There's still a ton of work to do. Not quite Apples to Apples, but USH's SNW was probably at this stage at early-mid 2020. They built in a different order there, so not a direct comparison and also that was the height of Covid. I'd say 2 years left on the build isn't far off.

The roads should be done before next fall unless they just drag their feet or have some challenges that aren't evident from the aerials. Bridges are going to take the most time.
Correct. Roads are the easy part. The three biggest pieces that are going to take the longest are the canal crossing with Kirkman (almost done at this point), the huge second level rotary circle tying the new Kirkman to the new Epic Blvd (that thing is going to be wild), and the Kirkman/Sand Lake intersection which they will probably save to last because of the traffic re-routing that will need to happen for existing traffic.

Correct. Roads are the easy part. The three biggest pieces that are going to take the longest are the canal crossing with Kirkman (almost done at this point), the huge second level rotary circle tying the new Kirkman to the new Epic Blvd (that thing is going to be wild), and the Kirkman/Sand Lake intersection which they will probably save to last because of the traffic re-routing that will need to happen for existing traffic.
Yeah, the Sand Lake/Kirkman thing is gonna really mess with my daily commute.

Off topic, but will the Endless Summer resorts be closest to Epic Universe in terms of hotels as of now?
In terms of currently Universal owned and operational resorts? Yes, Endless Summer hotels are closest. Once the hotels planned on 912 and 913 are built they will be the closest. With the Helios Grand hotel in the park being as close as you can get when it is finished.

Reactions: HHNObsession
Plus they have to hire and train a full parks worth of staff

edit: and that can't be done until the park (or at least the individual lands) are nearly complete
I think a lot of attractions staff will be transfers from the existing parks, and a lot of new hires will go to the existing parks. I know I wouldn't mind trying to transfer to one of the Monster Rides!

Construction isn't the most challenging aspect of this park, seems like Universal is doing the appropriate step of giving the ops team more time for testing to avoid the mishandling of USF & Volcano Bay.

It'll be interesting to see how staffing levels improve over the next few years as they are currently struggling a bit for their food & beverage staffing.

I'm fully expecting that we could see them build housing for either their own version of college program or for guest workers on visas to have enough staffing for all their parks. Just about every regional theme park has guest workers come seasonally on work visas to help round out the staffing needs.

Construction isn't the most challenging aspect of this park, seems like Universal is doing the appropriate step of giving the ops team more time for testing to avoid the mishandling of USF & Volcano Bay.

It'll be interesting to see how staffing levels improve over the next few years as they are currently struggling a bit for their food & beverage staffing.
F&B and Park Services has the greatest trouble with staffing issues. Working at Uni is awesome, but it can be hard. Even in attractions, a lot of people don't last, hence there usually are constant openings.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Large pile driver working on the Kirkman extension near Sand Lake.

20221213-141909.jpg

We didn't even start the signage and façade for [anticipated rollercoaster] till months after the track was installed. There's been stuff made ahead of time that had to be changed by install date because of changes during construction.

Reactions: anihilnation