Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 63 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just do what WDW does... new cupcakes weekly and AP magnets monthly.

In all seriousness though, it’s likely going to come down to locals for the foreseeable future, so not sure the parks necessarily need to be opening big new rides to draw crowds... as it’ll just fall on deaf ears until the economy recovers.

Luckily there’s a lot of new things that just opened at all the parks in Central Florida, and they all have some new roller coasters they’ll eventually finish and open and have to promote for the time being.

In Disney's case, I think spreading out Rat, Guardians and Tron over three year's time ('21-'23) would be such a very wise move (they might've been planning that anyway).

Oh and since they're going to need to cater to locals, maybe in the following years when hopefully HHN is able to operate at least mostly normally we see a move in the direction of originals? It seems like they were planning such a move this year anyways. :)

Last edited:
In Disney's case, I think spreading out Rat, Guardians and Tron over three year's time ('21-'23) would be such a very wise move (they might've been planning that anyway).

Oh and since they're going to need to cater to locals, maybe in the following years when hopefully HHN is able to operate at least mostly normally we see a move in the direction of originals? It seems like they were planning such a move this year anyways. :)

50th anniversary be damned.

One big thing. I don't believe Universal or Disney thought this was going to be as long term as it's turning out. I'm guessing their original decisions of keeping much of the workforce, especially Universal, on paid leave was predicated on the belief of a fairly early resort re opening without a lot of health qualifications. Example: When those early decisions were made, the CDC was still telling people it 'wasn't' a good idea to wear masks even. I'm guessing they may have gone down a different road with the paid leave if they thought the timeline and safety precautions were going to be this onerous. But it is what it is, and that was a lot of money tied up in a situation where most companies would have laid off 90% of the employees. Plus the new safety/health precautions almost guarantee the resorts will only have a fraction of their former attendance. I doubt Universal & Disney initially thought the scenario was going to play out to be this bad.This is pretty damn close to temporary worst case scenario in relation to theme parks. ...Just my guess though.

Reactions: Nico
Once we get through to the other side of things, however we get there, I feel like there won't be as many permanent changes as some are fearing. I don't foresee movie theaters ripping out half their seating, or queues to put down labels for users to keep 6 feet apart for the rest of forever.

We may be, I don't know, 5+ years away from getting back to 100% normal, but other than everyone being a little more cognizant about washing your hands more frequently, and maybe engaging in less hand shakes, I'm not sure I see too many big changes to human activity, especially in the entertainment and leisure sectors.
When people say new normal it really sends me...70% of people I observe everyday walk around like nothing has happened. Waaay overhyped.

Plus velocicoaster and Bourne are what would've been opening anyway if EU wasn't a thing so that's a plus.

Last edited:
They obviously have a rainy day fund to continue paying staff with zero income for the parks and for things like hurricanes when the parks close for a few days or a week max and go straight back to business as normal. To get an idea of how unprecedented this actually is. I think Disney World has only closed for 12 days total since it opened. This lockdown is already 5x longer than all the other closures combined and it's still ongoing and once it's over, profits are going to be low or non existent for maybe a few months or up to a year, we just don't know.

If you get fired from your job, you don't go out and buy a new car.
I get what you mean but this is very different.

For one a car just cost you money a new theme park is an investment that they would make money on and the longer it takes to build the more it will cost and they will also lose any profits from the year or two delay because those years they could have made profit on and now wont. Especially with how Hot Nintendo is I'm sure lots of store there would be selling out of somethings all the time.

Just think this could last a long time to have such a project just sit there seems like money also being lost for not taking the risk

I get what you mean but this is very different.

For one a car just cost you money a new theme park is an investment that they would make money on and the longer it takes to build the more it will cost and they will also lose any profits from the year or two delay because those years they could have made profit on and now wont. Especially with how Hot Nintendo is I'm sure lots of store there would be selling out of somethings all the time.

Just think this could last a long time to have such a project just sit there seems like money also being lost for not taking the risk
It’s a lot cheaper to not build something that won’t give you return on investment than it is to build something that might.

Reactions: Clive
Just do what WDW does... new cupcakes weekly and AP magnets monthly.

In all seriousness though, it’s likely going to come down to locals for the foreseeable future, so not sure the parks necessarily need to be opening big new rides to draw crowds... as it’ll just fall on deaf ears until the economy recovers.

Luckily there’s a lot of new things that just opened at all the parks in Central Florida, and they all have some new roller coasters they’ll eventually finish and open and have to promote for the time being.

Big name headliners for Mardi Gras, maybe another Summer concert series as well. For tens of thousands (not that much relatively) and a few extra hours staffing, can pack the park out, have huge alcohol sales.

Fan service-heavy HHNs as well. And discounts, discounts, discounts. I doubt FL residents pay full price for an AP for years.A lot of bring a Coke can and get in for $50 or whatever as well.

I mean Cedar Fair and Six Flags have said they can weather this through 2021 so, no. Big fat no.

You ask a corporate attorney walking up the steps to the U.S. District Courthouse with Chapter 11 papers in his hand how his company's doing, he's going to say "just fine." And I think it's clear all the parks are moving toward a Summer opening. But if something ends up interfering with that -- then I think every option is on the table.

OK so with all this fervor over the CFO's comments, I checked in with several sources. If any other informed person would like to corroborate my post, please feel free as I am fairly confident in my sources.

Comcast has every intention of EU happening. Yes, there will be a delay from the 2023 projected date, with it expected to be about a year. They are currently still doing land grading/infrastructure work. Once that is complete, construction - aka going vertical - will be put on pause (unless the economy makes, or is anticipated to make, a turn upwards by that time). They'd rather put off construction than make any drastic cuts to the park and that's because they have every intention of making the park be built as they are currently intending. In short, Comcast wants Epic Universe to happen, and once the smoke clears up, I would expect construction to resume as soon as they possibly can. Could you see another year delay? Maybe - as there is still a bit of uncertainty with the pandemic's future - but that is not on the cards right now. There is no plans to move any of the proposed lands to the original Resort, either. Any talk of cancelation at this point is just reckless speculation and hyperbole.

Last edited:
Everything I have read from Universal says Epic is just on hold due to the current situation and when it improves they will be going back to full steam ahead. Nothing I have read from them suggests in the slightest that it is cancelled and any other place that is reporting as such is just going for the click bait and clicks/views option instead of reporting on the facts.

Reactions: Frogki and Mad Dog
I think Comcast just wants to wait and see how deep and how long this economic crash goes. As soon as it starts heading back up, the building starts again. As of now, it looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better, so hitting the pause button makes sense until things become a bit more clear as to where we're at.

Man, I hope I'm 1) still alive and 2) good enough to ride anything by the time EU opens :(
Luckily, if the rides are too much it seems like they are building one of the most beautiful theme parks in the entire world. I still think it'll be worth your visit. Allthough lets hope I see ya on Mario Kart and I take out your car with a Blue Shell :)