Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 67 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If Epic Universe is pushed to 2025+, why would SNW go to KidsZone? Nothing will be built if there’s no demand. If there’s no one coming they will hold off on everything.

And it’s looking like no one is getting their Nintendo World after Japan for a long time, unfortunately.

Are you hearing that the Nintendo World project in Hollywood construction is being completely halted as well?

I don't think they'd cancel it but it would be mothballed for a while if they're expecting a recession. No point to waste billions building and promoting a new park when no one is willing to travel to it.

Yup, I suspect special events will be the order of the day for the parks for the next five years.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
I have also heard Epic Universe is on ice.

While construction has halted on Super Nintendo World in Hollywood, it is way too far along for them to not eventually finish.

Yeah--a delay of Super Nintendo World for Hollywood is seemingly the case, then it being canceled at this point. It's too far to be cancelled.

As far as EU..my gut tells me it'll be iced permanently as the concept we know of, but they will not be selling off the plot of land.

I still think they give it 6-9 months for their revenue stream to stabilize, then jump on construction at a discount. Stretch the construction out over 3 years, open in 2023-2024 once things have bounced back to somewhat normal.

As long as they can maintain respectable margins at the existing parks, I see no reason not to build through a recession, if that's where we are headed.

I still firmly believe that Epic Universe is delayed, not cancelled.

Per the Orange County fast track site, they applied for some EU (probably BOH) building permits yesterday. That doesn't exactly scream cancelled.

All the comments they've made suggest that they still believe in the project and want it to be built, but that they just couldn't reasonably take on the cash spend and liability of large construction contracts while the parks were generating no cash flow for an unknown period of time. I fully expect that as park operations stabilize again, we will start to see somewhat more movement on the Epic Universe project.

None of this is to say it's not delayed, because it absolutely is. I now see an optimistic timeline as one where EU infrastructure and permitting work continues as planned, a COVID-19 vaccine is developed by winter and distributed by string, and thus theme parks can drop mask and social distancing requirements by next May to have a relatively normal summer season. In this scenario, Epic Universe could get the green light in spring 2021 after approximately 12 months of delay, putting it on pace for a spring or summer 2024 opening.

Or, if virus treatments don't progress that well, then Epic Universe could be pushed further back to 2025 or 2026 or later or never. But we're not there yet. We're simply not there yet.

Similar logic applies for SNW in Hollywood.

Comcast isn't calling it a pause to imply that they have no intention of resuming the project. At this point, they just don't know when they will be financially able to do so - hence an indefinite delay.

Per the Orange County fast track site, they applied for some EU (probably BOH) building permits yesterday. That doesn't exactly scream cancelled.

All the comments they've made suggest that they still believe in the project and want it to be built, but that they just couldn't reasonably take on the cash spend and liability of large construction contracts while the parks were generating no cash flow for an unknown period of time. I fully expect that as park operations stabilize again, we will start to see somewhat more movement on the Epic Universe project.

None of this is to say it's not delayed, because it absolutely is. I now see an optimistic timeline as one where EU infrastructure and permitting work continues as planned, a COVID-19 vaccine is developed by winter and distributed by string, and thus theme parks can drop mask and social distancing requirements by next May to have a relatively normal summer season. In this scenario, Epic Universe could get the green light in spring 2021 after approximately 12 months of delay, putting it on pace for a spring or summer 2024 opening.

Or, if virus treatments don't progress that well, then Epic Universe could be pushed further back to 2025 or 2026 or later or never. But we're not there yet. We're simply not there yet.

Comcast isn't calling it a pause to imply that they have no intention of resuming the project. At this point, they just don't know when they will be financially able to do so - hence an indefinite delay.
I appreciate your optimism, but the layoffs at UC the last few days just don’t have me agreeing with you. They were deep and broad.

It’s all so sad but I expect EU post 2025 at this point, with zero inside info to back it up. It just seems logical. All I hope for is the plans don’t get totally scrapped.

I wonder if they will go ahead and do the BoH up by Sandlake. They could always use the space

I appreciate your optimism, but the layoffs at UC the last few days just don’t have me agreeing with you. They were deep and broad.

Huh? What is it that you don’t agree with? Do you honestly think that because of these severe cuts, that Universal Studios and Disney Parks will never build anything ever again? Do you believe that all future plans are cancelled forever and ever, ever? That’s crazy talk JS.

Reactions: tielo
Huh? What is it that you don’t agree with? Do you honestly think that because of these severe cuts, that Universal Studios and Disney Parks will never build anything ever again? Do you believe that all future plans are cancelled forever and ever, ever? That’s crazy talk JS.
No, of course not.

I think EU stands a far greater chance of not happening than happening at this point though. And if it does happen I don’t think it will be given the green light to move forward within the next few years. I definitely don’t think it opens in 2024 either. That’s a pipe dream at this point
I wonder if they will go ahead and do the BoH up by Sandlake. They could always use the space

They just fired most of the people that were gonna work there. So who knows

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts