Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 170 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After all, this is the same studio who claimed they lost $167 million on Order of the Phoenix (a $150 million dollar film that brought in nearly a billion worldwide).
Oh, they definitely saw Order of the Phoenix as a profit, just not publicly. It's called Hollywood Accounting, when film companies fudge the expenditures and revenues of certain movies to claim their films didn't make money. They do this so they can pay less royalties and taxes.

EDIT: Hollywood accounting - Wikipedia

Reactions: Mad Dog
The rumoured concept of a Kongfrontasion ride system, possibly used in a Ford Anglia attraction is a interesting one, the original system was a static level track with a basic motion base (more shaking than tilting) and a scissor lift element to provide the final party piece. Using the Anglia has quite a few benefits, its iconic and recognisable.
In the books ministry cars, the Anglia and possibly the Hogwarts express where magically extended so they where "bigger on the inside" this would allow for bench seats or at least more than 4 seats per car, don't want to see 6 Anglias in a train ;p
But if they can optical illusion it (maybe forced perspective) so the car looks normal size but fits 6 across inside, it would be impressive.

Nowadays you could probably used a highly modified MACK powered invert, but instead of spinning, it would have a hydralic or electric actuated motion base, rotation and maybe even the famous scissor lift could be fitted as well to provide show elements, plus the enclosed nature of the car makes restraints easy (seatbelts only?) and hides bits you dont want to see, plus makes the car feel more thrilling.
stadium seating even partly may need to be implemented though even with 2 rows.

The difficult bit would be (bar getting forced perspective right) hiding the ride system from view, the simpleist option is a low ceiling to help, but though would be needed so people dont see above the car.

But practically, this kind of ride system would be a effective family E ticket, especially as the car design reduced the limitations of the restraints, run it with a well produced screen and physical set hybrid ride system (but spiderman style screen usage, not Gringotts), you got a successful ride .

Just pure speculation on my part with the rumours, but seams practical for a big budget, new dark ride as potter likes to do new with there ride systems in some form (new ride system, or new by combining ride systems)

Reactions: mlwelch1
I haven’t seen it before, looks interesting but also seems like a capacity nightmare based on that single image. Would work well in concept as a dark ride however.

It depends on how many people are in each car and there could be multiple towers.

If you have 2 towers with 4 sides with a 18 seater cabin and a dispatch time of a 90 seconds for each side.That's 1440 per hour.

I was looking at some of the maps in the News thread (inserted and linked below) where it looked like the land purchases were wrapping up for the south campus and was wondering if there has been any hint that they may start back up on any of those gap parcels. I was hesitant to ask the question because of the current downturn but I know Universal if nothing else takes advantage of opportunities when available. Would the below partials even be beneficial to Universal at this point?

Specifically I was looking at the CPR Money (second map), Ripley, Essex Apartments (not sure if they have been built and have not been able to discern myself from Bio's photos), the Ergs Wi, and the Future Hyatt Hotel Site property next to the land that was highlighted in red in the second map.

First Map:
upload_2019-9-27_16-2-7-png.11030

First Map from @Bobharlem - Post link:

Second Map:
T9Eb6ZL.jpg

Second Map from @zg44 Post link:

• Love
Reactions: Suchomimus
Curious as to others who are more educated thoughts on this: If we go get Potter 3.0 in EU, are people going to ever assume Universal is anything different than the "Harry Potter Parks"?. I ask this because a friend of mine who goes to Disney with their family frequently feels its becoming redundant about Potter when I've mentioned these current rumors to them. They're WDW loyalists, but have spent weekends at UOR for big new rides/Potter before so they're "Orlando" people in general. However, they have no interest in this park really because it seems SNW is their only interest. They're sick of gong to Unviersal and feeling like everything revolves around Potter. They aren't big fans of the films and do like the lands, but I feel Universal's marketing does indeed lean into the Wizarding World a lot.

SO, my question, if Wizarding World 3.0 is going to be mainly advertised, is it possible attendance for this new park isn't skyrocketed because the GP is tired of Potter, or just feel they can only go to Universal if they like Potter? I get the feeling a lot of people currently feel that way, they can only visit and have fun at UOR if they love Harry. I just wonder if they're not going to extend their cliental base as far as they are hoping with these new rumors. Potter, while a massive crowd, is generally a pretty specific one. The strategy has worked thus far with Harry, but are they pushing their luck with a 3rd land?

Id rather something other than the Knight Bus go into the current F&F lot if possible, I have no idea if thats asking too much but if were getting Potter 3.0 at EU then this is just blatant overkill imo. I always get frustrated when Disney people or non theme park people just see Universal as the "Harry Potter theme parks" but I mean, are they wrong? It seems the overwhelming majority of investments is with that IP. Like, I get it, its the main cash flow and biggest attendance draw but I feel they're almost too scared to invest majorly into anything without it at this point. Meaning Harry specifically. This is why I'm excited for Nintendo to get the ball rolling, there are so many different IPs within Nintendo itself that would only not feel redundant, but they'd naturally add massive variety to the parks. Once they tackle Nintendo they can move onto any new IPs, current ones, Dreamworks, etc.

Ive never been a part of the "too much Potter" crowd but w/Potter 3.0 and a possible Knight Bus Ride, AS A POTTER FAN, its too much. Thats why Fantastic Beasts was gong to work in my opinion. Its just different enough from the rest of Potter to be its own thing while also having the Wizarding World familiarity to it.

Im likely overthinking it, and maybe too early to discuss until we see marketing for the park, but I could see it being an issue amongst the masses.

SO, my question, if Wizarding World 3.0 is going to be mainly advertised, is it possible attendance for this new park isn't skyrocketed because the GP is tired of Potter, or just feel they can only go to Universal if they like Potter?

Until the Potter lands stop raking in all the money in the world, I'm not going to buy Potter fatigue being a thing

Curious as to others who are more educated thoughts on this: If we go get Potter 3.0 in EU, are people going to ever assume Universal is anything different than the "Harry Potter Parks"?. I ask this because a friend of mine who goes to Disney with their family frequently feels its becoming redundant about Potter when I've mentioned these current rumors to them. They're WDW loyalists, but have spent weekends at UOR for big new rides/Potter before so they're "Orlando" people in general. However, they have no interest in this park really because it seems SNW is their only interest. They're sick of gong to Unviersal and feeling like everything revolves around Potter. They aren't big fans of the films and do like the lands, but I feel Universal's marketing does indeed lean into the Wizarding World a lot.

SO, my question, if Wizarding World 3.0 is going to be mainly advertised, is it possible attendance for this new park isn't skyrocketed because the GP is tired of Potter, or just feel they can only go to Universal if they like Potter? I get the feeling a lot of people currently feel that way, they can only visit and have fun at UOR if they love Harry. I just wonder if they're not going to extend their cliental base as far as they are hoping with these new rumors. Potter, while a massive crowd, is generally a pretty specific one. The strategy has worked thus far with Harry, but are they pushing their luck with a 3rd land?

Id rather something other than the Knight Bus go into the current F&F lot if possible, I have no idea if thats asking too much but if were getting Potter 3.0 at EU then this is just blatant overkill imo. I always get frustrated when Disney people or non theme park people just see Universal as the "Harry Potter theme parks" but I mean, are they wrong? It seems the overwhelming majority of investments is with that IP. Like, I get it, its the main cash flow and biggest attendance draw but I feel they're almost too scared to invest majorly into anything without it at this point. Meaning Harry specifically. This is why I'm excited for Nintendo to get the ball rolling, there are so many different IPs within Nintendo itself that would only not feel redundant, but they'd naturally add massive variety to the parks. Once they tackle Nintendo they can move onto any new IPs, current ones, Dreamworks, etc.

Ive never been a part of the "too much Potter" crowd but w/Potter 3.0 and a possible Knight Bus Ride, AS A POTTER FAN, its too much. Thats why Fantastic Beasts was gong to work in my opinion. Its just different enough from the rest of Potter to be its own thing while also having the Wizarding World familiarity to it.

Im likely overthinking it, and maybe too early to discuss until we see marketing for the park, but I could see it being an issue amongst the masses.
Bottom Line: Attendance indicates the GP is not tired of Potter and probably wants more. Every time a new Potter area, night show, attraction opens there's a significant spike in attendance, moreso than when non Potter stuff opens.

Until the Potter lands stop raking in all the money in the world, I'm not going to buy Potter fatigue being a thing
I’m just worried they’re pushing their luck with this one. If anything I think current additions, including the ones rumored for EU, should just be added onto the existing property instead of everything else they may, or may not be doing at USF.

Universals Response: “We have so much money from Potter, we’ll buy you new friends.”

I’m just worried they’re pushing their luck with this one. If anything I think current additions, including the ones rumored for EU, should just be added onto the existing property instead of everything else they may, or may not be doing at USF.
There was always going to be a Potter land in Universal's 3rd park, whether that's FB or whatever the land may or may not change into. I don't think it being FB would change any potential burn out.

Reactions: Brian G. and Nico
Bottom Line: Attendance indicates the GP is not tired of Potter and probably wants more. Every time a new Potter area, night show, attraction opens there's a significant spike in attendance, moreso than when non Potter stuff opens.
I totally get all that, I just feel one slip up with Potter won't be received well and Potter seems to be the basis for Universal's credibility. But when Harry is your main draw and Im assuming a big part of your cliental, does that entice guests to stay for a full week, which seems to be the main intent of EU? Idk. I don't think they're making a poor decision but I think its riskier than some are imaging.
There was always going to be a Potter land in Universal's 3rd park, whether that's FB or whatever the land may or may not change into. I don't think it being FB would change any potential burn out.
Right, but like my argument with Nintendo (although admittedly this applies to Nintendo more), Fantastic Beasts seemed to be centered around Paris, different from London and what they have at USF, and Paris as a whole is more of a draw, as well as the land being centered around the Beasts themselves. We'd have a circus going on, Beast AAs all over the land and rides, it'd feel much much different than another adventure into the Potter films Imo, while still being able to purchase a wand and do Wizarding stuff. Just my take on it, seemed like the perfect "same, but different" approach. I don't expect Potter 3.0 to be bad at all thats not my point here, I just don't know if its going to help people stay a week at Universal like they want to, because I feel a lot of the GP will just be like "oh yay another Wizarding World". Idk I'm prolly wrong here but I think it was a topic worth discussing.

Reactions: WaterToWade
You have to remember:
1. You’re talking years down the line.
2. Odds of Knight Bus seem much slimmer (more difficult) then EU conversion.

If I told my bf, hey theres rumors of Uni adding another 6 HP rides he would take it as fact. People who don’t live on the forums don’t understand the difference between rumors/blue sky/fact. They know what we tell them.

Right, but like my argument with Nintendo (although admittedly this applies to Nintendo more), Fantastic Beasts seemed to be centered around Paris, different from London and what they have at USF, and Paris as a whole is more of a draw, as well as the land being centered around the Beasts themselves. We'd have a circus going on, Beast AAs all over the land and rides, it'd feel much much different than another adventure into the Potter films Imo, while still being able to purchase a wand and do Wizarding stuff. Just my take on it. I don't expect Potter 3.0 to be bad at all thats not my point here, I just don't know if its going to help people stay a week at Universal like they want to, because I feel a lot of the GP will just be like "oh yay another Wizarding World". Idk I'm prolly wrong here but I think it was a topic worth discussing.

1) I think you're making a lot of assumptions here.

2) It's one land in a brand new theme park. The brand new theme park will be the draw, not just one land.

1) I think you're making a lot of assumptions here.

2) It's one land in a brand new theme park. The brand new theme park will be the draw, not just one land.
Well we've seen in the past that marketing a new park in Orlando for them is easier said than done (Ahem, Islands of Adventure). I don't expect another "Universal Escape" debacle from what I've read but again I just think its worth discussing.
It's also possible that it can be a "Wizarding World" land and feature Fantastic Beasts...
Absolutely, thats my entire point lol. My point is they're just making the Wizarding World about Potter and nothing else. Which obviously it mainly is, but Paris and Fantastic Beasts is just the perfect "Same, but different" type of land where it gives you all you want from the Wizarding World, without it being strictly another ride with Harry and the gang. Just makes the resort more diverse for your week long stay. Idk just my take but Potter is obviously a proven cash flow so I get it but I'm worried they could push their luck just a little bit.

Edit: While the Batuu comparisons to FB have been made, its not like we got full original trilogy lands before, where we have already here for Potter.

You have to remember:
1. You’re talking years down the line.
2. Odds of Knight Bus seem much slimmer (more difficult) then EU conversion.

If I told my bf, hey theres rumors of Uni adding another 6 HP rides he would take it as fact. People who don’t live on the forums don’t understand the difference between rumors/blue sky/fact. They know what we tell them.

It's always good to remember that rumors are never fact. Beating a dead horse with this comparison, but "Van Helsing". :lol:

Just because the rumor of Knight Bus is out there doesn't mean it's on the docket. It's very possible that it was an idea that was tossed around to try to remedy the reaction from Supercharged but they have moved on from it, and it's possible it was one idea of many. I've heard several regarding Supercharged, which even includes... doing nothing. :lol:

Well we've seen in the past that marketing a new park in Orlando for them is easier said than done (Ahem, Islands of Adventure). I don't expect another "Universal Escape" debacle from what I've read but again I just think its worth discussing.

Absolutely, thats my entire point lol. My point is they're just making the Wizarding World about Potter and nothing else. Which obviously it mainly is, but Paris and Fantastic Beasts is just the perfect "Same, but different" type of land where it gives you all you want from the Wizarding World, without it being strictly another ride with Harry and the gang. Just makes the resort more diverse for your week long stay. Idk just my take but Potter is obviously a proven cash flow so I get it but I'm worried they could push their luck just a little bit.
The marketing for IoA is a poor comparison. Universal not only opened a new park, but attempted a resort-wide rebrand. Then, a year after opening, the tourism industry crashed. Never mind that Universal’s marketing in general was nowhere near as good as it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.