Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's "Getting Closer to Normal" Guidelines

To relate this back to the pandemic...

I've unfortunately have had several people I know recently relying on our local ERs and urgent care to for non covid related injuries and illness. One of them had to be transferred to another hospital because the ICU beds were at capacity. This is not an isolated incident; less than 8% of ICU beds are left across the state of Florida (as of 8/20/2021). As the beds fill up due to COVID, it will become harder to take care of patients who come in from, say, a fractured ribcage due to a punch to the gut. And conversely, the more non-covid related illnesses/injuries, the more strain that is put on our already stressed healthcare system.

This is a major factor on why I'm advocating for additional heightened precautions at HHN, even if it dulls the event a bit... At least for one more year.

Last edited:
Sure, but it creates several others, including less-than-ideal airflow at best and unsafe airflow at worst during a respiratory pandemic. It also - again - dramatically reduces the efficacy of a haunted house's intended effect and presentation.

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree if your position is that the benefits of plexi outweigh the negatives. I'm of the opinion this whole approach is a boneheaded decision born of skittish execs that want to make it appear like they're doing something when they have no guts to actually address the fundamental issues at play.

The cameras will not proactively prevent bad behavior - as I said, they will take offenders off the streets and prevent additional issues. You'd be shocked at how many incidents are caused by the same handful of people.

As for your experience with the 2020 mazes, I will again have to agree to disagree. One creative use of plexi to misdirect aside, they spoiled and diluted scares. Opinions will differ, of course, but I also know scare actors who hated performing with them. I personally would have no desire to, and that's without taking into consideration the health considerations.

It was a perfectly fine compromise when we were happy to have anything and when we knew less about transmission. We know more now, and I wish Universal would take more bold and beneficial steps to protect performers and guests.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with this. I didn’t mind the plexiglass when the event was free, and we were just grateful to have something. I went through Tooth Fairy by myself at one point, and still wasn’t that scared, because the plexi took a lot away. We pay good money for several factors, scare factor, immersiveness, creativity, etc… but the plexi, in my opinion dramatically reduced the fear factor. Im sorry but we don’t go to a haunted house to say I feel like walking through a museum of haunted characters.
I’m not saying I don’t acknowledge the elephant in the room, but I truly don’t see the difference interacting with TM’s during the day, without plexi and indoors, than I do in a house. This is why I think masks should be required for the houses.
For what it’s worth, I worked in a haunted house, so I have been hit, had my masked pulled, etc…,but I would never wish for the one thing people pay money for to be taken away, to be scared.

I've unfortunately have had several people I know recently relying on our local ERs and urgent care to for non covid related injuries and illness. One of them had to be transferred to another hospital because the ICU beds were at capacity. This is not an isolated incident; less than 8% of ICU beds are left across the state of Florida (as of 8/20/2021). As the beds fill up due to COVID, it will become harder to take care of patients who come in from, say, a fractured ribcage due to a punch to the gut. And conversely, the more non-covid related illnesses/injuries, the more strain that is put on our already stressed healthcare system.

This is a major factor on why I'm advocating for additional heightened precautions at HHN, even if it dulls the event a bit... At least for one more year.
I’m actually surprised they haven’t announced a mask mandate for houses yet (or plexiglass if that’s still a thing). Given the event starts in less than 2 weeks, it might make people want a refund or alter plans as this board has proven.

Yes, that seems to be in issue throughout much of the south. A number of southern states have been transporting their covid patients to the hospitals here in the Pittsburgh area due to their inability to treat them locally,
and the fact we have large excess ICU capacity. The Pgh. media had stories on that last week.

Just an update for APH looking to book rooms for the start of Holiday season in November. ....Looking at the availability of AP discount Deluxe Hotel rooms today, it appears that the fairly small choice of rooms
that were available when I booked earlier this month, has decreased quite a bit from then. So, if you want a Deluxe Hotel room (Express passes) for November with a good APH rate, you might want to book real soon.
Conversely, there are still a ton of room choices, APH rate, available at all the non Deluxe Universal hotel resorts.

Sentinel is reporting HHN will have vinyl dividers. Story is behind a paywall. Not sure if it has any news about other precautions.

Already knew plexiglass was going to happen and that's why I cancelled my HHN for this year. It sucks, but for the amount of money, I just decided not to go for something that was less than normal. Also, I'm pretty sure that scare zones won't be normal either. They'll just be scare actors on stages...not roaming.

Just arrived home last night from Hard Rock Hotel. Spent a week there. I was blown away with the amount of people who DID NOT wear masks. I would estimate 20% of people in the hotel were wearing masks. Similar numbers in the park as well (indoor areas). I was a bit disappointed (coming from NYC area) considering what's happening in Orlando. Also someone here mentioned they felt there would be very few Brits in Universal. Kudos to them. There were hardly any Brits or Europeans in general. International Drive was a ghost town as well. Very odd trip I must say.

Just arrived home last night from Hard Rock Hotel. Spent a week there. I was blown away with the amount of people who DID NOT wear masks. I would estimate 20% of people in the hotel were wearing masks. Similar numbers in the park as well (indoor areas). I was a bit disappointed (coming from NYC area) considering what's happening in Orlando. Also someone here mentioned they felt there would be very few Brits in Universal. Kudos to them. There were hardly any Brits or Europeans in general. International Drive was a ghost town as well. Very odd trip I must say.
Hate to break it to you - but it’s a Florida thing, and it turns my stomach. I’m at brunch in Fort Lauderdale right now (outside) and when I went into the hotel, not one patron or service member was wearing a mask, I was the only one.

Already knew plexiglass was going to happen and that's why I cancelled my HHN for this year. It sucks, but for the amount of money, I just decided not to go for something that was less than normal. Also, I'm pretty sure that scare zones won't be normal either. They'll just be scare actors on stages...not roaming.

I would follow suit but that's the demands of trying to have a social life.

I would follow suit but that's the demands of trying to have a social life.
I totally respect your decision and whatever you decide is right for you. I just couldn't justify the money for something that isn't going to be a full experience...and I'm okay with my decision for myself. And this is just my opinion and I'm not diminishing anyone who makes a decision to go. Yes I'm fully vaccinated, and I'm down there from the Metro Atlanta area quite often for work. But I had to draw a line for myself...and hopefully by next year's HHN, it'll be very close to normal if not normal completely.

I totally respect your decision and whatever you decide is right for you. I just couldn't justify the money for something that isn't going to be a full experience...and I'm okay with my decision for myself. And this is just my opinion and I'm not diminishing anyone who makes a decision to go. Yes I'm fully vaccinated, and I'm down there from the Metro Atlanta area quite often for work. But I had to draw a line for myself...and hopefully by next year's HHN, it'll be very close to normal if not normal completely.

Agreed completely.