Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 191 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Everyone hates Tapu Tapu so blame it for everything... Sure.

bobharlem has it correct, slides not getting people through is only an issue if people aren't in the line. When I went, I had to wait no less than 10 minutes for every slide, even with Tapu Tapu returns.

"People are in the park instead of lines, thus lowering capacity" doesn't make sense for several reasons as well. 1) That was the entire point of Tapu Tapu. They planned for this. So their capacity planners should be fired if this is the case. (Eg, this is just plain stupid if it is true.)
2) They can always adjust the Tapu Tapu times to increase the number of people standing in lines to increase capacity. For example, reduce a wait time from 90 minutes to 60 and boom, you have 30 minutes of people in a line. Then there's no need to get rid of Tapu Tapu, since it still has the spirit in tact (saves 60 minutes off 90 minute wait).

I personally love the Tapu Tapu idea and hope it succeeds. As an avid theme park visitor for decades, the worst part of any visit *by far* are the lines, so any attempt to solve this great in my book.

When I visited, I never once thought Tapu was an inconvenience. What could be improved on are more areas to hang out in, I agree with this. But that doesn't mean Tapu is a failure and needs to be discontinued.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonea32
Everyone hates Tapu Tapu so blame it for everything... Sure.

bobharlem has it correct, slides not getting people through is only an issue if people aren't in the line. When I went, I had to wait no less than 10 minutes for every slide, even with Tapu Tapu returns.

"People are in the park instead of lines, thus lowering capacity" doesn't make sense for several reasons as well. 1) That was the entire point of Tapu Tapu. They planned for this. So their capacity planners should be fired if this is the case. (Eg, this is just plain stupid iftif t is true.)
2) They can always adjust the Tapu Tapu times to increase the number of people standing in lines. Just reduce it from 90 minutes to 60 and boom, you have 30 minutes of people in a line. Then there's no need to get rid of Tapu Tapu, since it still has the spirit in tact (saves 60 minutes off 90 minute wait).

I personally love the Tapu Tapu idea and hope it succeeds. As an avid theme park visitor for decades, the worst part of any visit *by far* are the lines, so any attempt to solve this great in my book.

You clearly didn't go during the summer. Lines during that time can be over two hours long, and that's for the higher capacity slides.

Reactions: therock
You clearly didn't go during the summer. Lines during that time can be over two hours long, and that's for the higher capacity slides.
That's fine, but it only validates my point further.

And just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm talking about physical lines being 10+ minutes after 30-200 minutes of Tapu.

No need to be rude. And increasing the line length won't help, either. A 90 minute wait is still a 90 minute wait, no matter how you wait in it. It's too long of a line for a water park.
1) I'm sorry.
Text does not translate well, but I read the reply from jungleSkip as rude. I sincerely apologize if I am mistaken. (In particular, the word "solving" I read in a sarcastic manner.)

2)
I am not insisting there is no profitability issue. There may have been some estimation issues regarding price, capacity, demand, etc. I don't have that information (if or why it's not as profitable) and don't want to put an uneducated guess on that topic.
But I don't believe the solution is to throw out Tapu as others have suggested.

(Do they have demand pricing for VB? If not, maybe something to consider.)

3) Regarding long lines, adding more things to do while in the virtual line is a potential solution. I would much rather have this than anything else. More entertainers, more interactive experiences, overall more things to kill time. My dream would be the end of long physical lines, so whatever brings us closer has my approval. :)

Last edited:
There is no way they would ever just get rid of Tapu Tapu. They've invested too much time and money into it. Also, that would require several high level execs to swallow their pride and admit it doesn't work like it was intended to and I don't see that happening. Hopefully the expansion will help solve capacity issues and allow Universal to hit their intended numbers. Only time will tell...

Reactions: RFRees
Slides aren’t hitting their projected numbers because ProSlide gave numbers that weren’t correct. Tapu issues are unrelated to that.
Not completely true. Those numbers that Proslide gave are accurate, based on similar rides used in other parks around the world. One major problem I had noticed on top of TapuTapu(yes they do create bigger lines...especially when everyone is bottling up at the entrances to the rides and asking the attendants questions) is ride downtime. Every visit Krakatau went down as did Honu. The second major problem is those pod drop slides...continually having to adjust the weight limit really restricts who can ride. Problem number 3 is the lack of family rides, tamer body slides, and additional play areas. While I love the thrilling stuff, a lot of people prefer the more tame relaxing style rides, and honestly the park really lacks when it comes to that variety.

In my opinion all of this needs to be addressed.

Reactions: therock and Mad Dog
Not completely true. Those numbers that Proslide gave are accurate, based on similar rides used in other parks around the world. One major problem I had noticed on top of TapuTapu(yes they do create bigger lines...especially when everyone is bottling up at the entrances to the rides and asking the attendants questions) is ride downtime. Every visit Krakatau went down as did Honu. The second major problem is those pod drop slides...continually having to adjust the weight limit really restricts who can ride. Problem number 3 is the lack of family rides, tamer body slides, and additional play areas. While I love the thrilling stuff, a lot of people prefer the more tame relaxing style rides, and honestly the park really lacks when it comes to that variety.

In my opinion all of this needs to be addressed.
I was surprised at the intensity of the slides when I first went

I like Tapu for what it's worth...There is nothing worse than waiting in line with your shirt off

I do feel as if the weigh stations take a bit too much time

I also feel they were planning on people going to eat/going into the lazy river every time they tapped for a ride...Instead I notice people just standing around waiting sometimes haha

People don't know how to unline

Reactions: Cheezbat
I was surprised at the intensity of the slides when I first went

I like Tapu for what it's worth...There is nothing worse than waiting in line with your shirt off

I do feel as if the weigh stations take a bit too much time

I also feel they were planning on people going to eat/going into the lazy river every time they tapped for a ride...Instead I notice people just standing around waiting sometimes haha

People don't know how to unline
People are so used to standing in lines...doing something different just seems to confuse people. Most seem to like the idea of not having to stand in lines including myself(I hate heights so I hate waiting on slide towers), but you have to give people more to do. I heard a number of people complain about waiting 2 or 3 hours for a ride and asking each other what to do while waiting...and honestly you can only stay in the wavepool or rivers for so long. It also doesn’t help that the play area is really only designed for kids. There should be a bigger one of those with more body slides for all ages to enjoy.

I could sit back and armchair imagineer for these guys all day. I grew up in the Waterpark Capital of the World and dreamed and drew up ideas for rides and attractions all the time, and it drives me nuts seeing what Universal built knowing it could be so much better...also drives me nuts seeing Disney sit on their butts with their waterparks too...The two companies that have billions to spend....

People are so used to standing in lines...doing something different just seems to confuse people. Most seem to like the idea of not having to stand in lines including myself(I hate heights so I hate waiting on slide towers), but you have to give people more to do. I heard a number of people complain about waiting 2 or 3 hours for a ride and asking each other what to do while waiting...and honestly you can only stay in the wavepool or rivers for so long. It also doesn’t help that the play area is really only designed for kids. There should be a bigger one of those with more body slides for all ages to enjoy.

I could sit back and armchair imagineer for these guys all day. I grew up in the Waterpark Capital of the World and dreamed and drew up ideas for rides and attractions all the time, and it drives me nuts seeing what Universal built knowing it could be so much better...also drives me nuts seeing Disney sit on their butts with their waterparks too...The two companies that have billions to spend....

For all the money they spent sending staff to waterparks for research...they definitely took the wrong things backs.

That's one of my gripes..An "adult" play area would be tons of fun...Splash Attack at Adventure Island comes to mind...There are a bunch of body slides throughout the course and there is little to know wait for them

It could be worse though, they could open the floodgates and let you scan every ride and make you schedule your entire day haha

I think the wrong assumption was made that if guests aren't in line they're spending money...When in reality, they are wondering around looking for "ride nows"

I do think the GP enjoy VB much more than we think though

That's one of my gripes..An "adult" play area would be tons of fun...Splash Attack at Adventure Island comes to mind...There are a bunch of body slides throughout the course and there is little to know wait for them

It could be worse though, they could open the floodgates and let you scan every ride and make you schedule your entire day haha

I think the wrong assumption was made that if guests aren't in line they're spending money...When in reality, they are wondering around looking for "ride nows"

I do think the GP enjoy VB much more than we think though
Just about every review of the park I've read since it's shaky opening months has been really good or excellent. Seems people love the park. It's just that the capacity issue is causing Universal to reap less revenue than they intended.

Just about every review of the park I've read since it's shaky opening months has been really good or excellent. Seems people love the park. It's just that the capacity issue is causing Universal to reap less revenue than they intended.
I just went and read the first page of recent reviews on TA. Overall positive but was surprised at the number posted from the UK. Had to check I was not on the UK version of TA.

Reactions: Coasted and Mad Dog

On the fence about buying 3 park APs. We have never done a waterpark but have hit SeaWorld and UO so many times over the past few years that it's kind of worn out. The 6 months free kind of have us intrigued. The gap between UO and Disney prices is still quite substantial even without the 6 months free...

Just on the fence because of all the mixed comments about the crowds.

2) They can always adjust the Tapu Tapu times to increase the number of people standing in lines to increase capacity. For example, reduce a wait time from 90 minutes to 60 and boom, you have 30 minutes of people in a line. Then there's no need to get rid of Tapu Tapu, since it still has the spirit in tact (saves 60 minutes off 90 minute wait).

They tried variations of exactly what you are saying. Example- instead of doing 90min with 5 mins of wait, it switched to 60 minutes with 35 mins of wait. And people hated it. Hated it as much as someone could hate it. “I was told no lines. So I wait to get on the ride, then when I’m told I can ride I have to wait another 30 mins” was the mantra.
It helped pull people from the walkways and pools and put them in line. But I’m return, it created a less enjoyable experience. So they went back to over clogged pathways and pools.

I love VB - it’s my favorite water park in Orlando by a large margin. But I’m also realistic in my approach to it. If you’re still there after noon during busier seasons, it’s going to be miserable. Get in first thing, get out just after lunch.

On the fence about buying 3 park APs. We have never done a waterpark but have hit SeaWorld and UO so many times over the past few years that it's kind of worn out. The 6 months free kind of have us intrigued. The gap between UO and Disney prices is still quite substantial even without the 6 months free...

Not much of a water park guy in my older age, though I liked them a lot 20 years ago. I've only done Typhoon & Blizzard a couple of times, but those got too busy, like VB, in the afternoons. . I might hit VB one of these days, but no hurry. I think water parks are more youth oriented,kids/teens/twenty somethings, kind of like the coaster parks are....If I was 20 or 30 again, I'd probably spend a couple of days there.

I think the best way to do this park is over two or so mornings, so the AP is the way to do that. That way, you rope drop and hit most, if not all, of the rides by lunch. Crowds start getting crazy around then, so use that afternoon time to go to USF or IOA. Next day, get the stuff you missed or re-ride. We usually do longer stays at UOR, so using an AP like this is a no-brainier and really saves from from having to use Tapu Tapu that much.

I think the best way to do this park is over two or so mornings, so the AP is the way to do that. That way, you rope drop and hit most, if not all, of the rides by lunch. Crowds start getting crazy around then, so use that afternoon time to go to USF or IOA. Next day, get the stuff you missed or re-ride. We usually do longer stays at UOR, so using an AP like this is a no-brainier and really saves from from having to use Tapu Tapu that much.

Thinking about getting the Premium APs that come with the after4PM Express passes. This way we could do VB in the morning and early afternoon, and then head over to the parks. Staying at Cabana Bay would save me a ton of money vs the Portofino...

Dunno... Orlando vacations have become too complicated. When I have to have spreadsheets made to compare the options between Disney, UO and Seaworld there is something wrong. Either with the parks, me, or both.

@Mad Dog Same here. My plan is to get a cabana and just relax there with the wife while the kids (15-20) enjoy the slides.